Should Apple give up hardware and focus on software?

Alright, think about it. OS X is a pretty good OS.. so why not give up the hardware business and make OS X for PCs? Perhaps it'd even give MS a run for it's money. :ninja: From what I can tell Apple is sort of like the Sega of computers; they are the first to come up with something interesting, but always come in last place. I don't DISLIKE apple, I just feel as a software only company they might could challenge MS and become ruler of the OS arena :alien: What do u guys think?

OSX couldn't run on PC's because the CPU's are totally different. Besides, Apple hardware rocks!

OSX stomps Windows...I mean it's unfair to compare the two OS's...OSX is far superior, and if peeps want to use that OS, than they have to buy a mac. Not like thats a bad thing, Apples hardware is awesome.

jesse ;-)

Because Apple hardware is high-quality. That is why OS X runs nice. You open to all these different x86s then you have some tool that buys a box from Wal-Mart trying to install OS X and wondering why it doesn't run good. I hope Apple stays with what they have.

Omg, how can you say that? Macs hardware is 1,000,000 x better than pc. I mean a Dell vs an iMac.....come on, no challenge. Macs beat pcs in everything, software to hardware, no compatition...:p

i think it would be nice to see something like OS X on a pc, but i dont think it will ever happen, therefore im just gonna buy an ibook, then i have something i can take with me and i have OS X, its a great comprimise.

TS

Go head on over to the hardware section of Apple.com and take a look around or even look at the 17" iMac pictures in this forum and then tell us again Apple should give up hardware.

1. One of the best things, if not the best thing about Apple is the perfect, seamless intergration of hardware and software. Thats something you will never achieve on a PC, even it it somehow ran OS X, which will most likely never happen.

2. Apple is in now way, shape, or form poor. Their one-two combo with hardware and software is what Apple is about. They obviously make a large amount of their money from hardware and I don't think the extra revenue from OS X being run on PC's (what a thought :s ) would make up for the loss from hardware.

One has to consider, one of the reasons, why OS X appears to 'ROCK' .... Stability is always a strong argumentative point, and this relates to the small amount of Hardware Configs apple has to deal with, in comparison to Poor Ol' XP's Humungous (chk) Driver Support list.

Ok, before anyone mentions the parts that can be added to a PM's guts, or External Devices, by contrast, there still is far fewer to add support, and this only can work in apple's favour to develop further stability and seamless integration! ;)

NeYo

Yeah, well it looks like mac hardware will be more like pc's in the long run, cpu-wise. Quote from the cnet.com article from an analyst from Bear Stearns regarding jumping to Intel chips, "There's a better than 80 percent chance Apple will make the jump in two to four years, he said. "

Mactels.. :p