Digital Camera

I'm looking for a cheap digital camera compatible with my Mac.

So far the only real option was buying a cheap digital camera then buying additional memory and card reader for said memory.

Are there any cheap cameras compatible with Mac?

Originally posted by threetonesun

The Canon I just got is Mac compatible...aren't most cameras Mac compatible? Let me find the link....

http://www.apple.com/iphoto/compatibility/

But I need a cheapo camera, I can't afford ?250 for the cheapest Sony cybershot.

I'm looking in the ?100 - ?200 price range. Yes, I have that little money.

What's that in American dollars again? Isn't $199 American in that range? ;)

But, I don't know what it goes for in England. A nice camera though (the one I linked to above).

Originally posted by Dazzla

Hmm, could be a possibility, a very strong possibility. Are berridge mail any good? Reliable?

I hope someone knows. I'm in Canada. But I love my canon digital camera. so I did a search for them in UK sites. Many came up and that site looked pretty good.

I have a G1 and my uncle has an A40 (I think). We both are really happy with them.

I have a friend with an Olympus and he's not all that happy. He says it's incredibly slow to write to the card. I can take pics pretty quickly one after the other.

Oops, it was an S40 he has.

I have another friend with an S200 Digital Elph. Also very happy with it.

hp photosmart 318. 2.31 megapixels, take's great shots, auto-focus, 8megs on board, all the software, blah blah blah. overall a great camera. bang for buck it's one of the best digital cams out there. and as far as i know, it's mac compatible.

Bah, if you can afford it, get an A10. The A100 is old and outdated now.

That's the thing though. I can't afford it.

The A10 is well over ?200 here and I can't afford that. Realistically I only have about ?150 to spend.

That is unless my VAIO gets sold then I'll get a good camera and an iPo:p:p

Edit: ooo, a cheapy

Make sure you look into the power supplies of these cameras too. And, above all, get a Canon over a knock off if possible...the extra money is well worth it.

Too bad the A10 is more over there. I sold my PS 2 to get mine...sucks being a college student some times.

Also too bad I quit my shipping job. I could have made a racket sending fellow Neowins American goods with free shipping :p

hehe, oh hell yeah :) get that job back and ship me some parts :)

I don't know if i like no namebrand camera's that much Dazzla but let me know how it goes witht hat one if you get it. Some pictures too woudl be nice ;)

Originally posted by SHoTTa35

hehe, oh hell yeah :) get that job back and ship me some parts :)

I don't think shipping them across state will save much ;)

I used (last summer) to be able to ship out packages internationally for free, and with any customs sheet I wanted on them (um, oh sure, that's just a shirt...it's not a processor and 512 megs of ram...no way it is!). They went overnight too. Now I've just got this ****ty job working with docs on a comp all day. Oh well...it paid for half of my new camera :D

if your just looking for something that will take decent pics Virgin Megastore has digicams for ?49 that will take vga quality pics.

Theres really no point in spending ?150 for a somewhat shoddy cam only to get fed up with it and want to buy something better 2 weeks after you get it.

Originally posted by Wickedkitten

if your just looking for something that will take decent pics Virgin Megastore has digicams for ?49 that will take vga quality pics.

Theres really no point in spending ?150 for a somewhat shoddy cam only to get fed up with it and want to buy something better 2 weeks after you get it. b>

Will it work on OS X?

yeah, this is kind of one of those situation were it doesn't make much sense to go middle of the road. get a good one, or get a really cheap one to hold you over until you can get a good one. if you just get a half decent one, you'll prolly want a better one very soon.

what's up with 17.5%VAT? is that some type of tax? and why is it so much?

lol...I have to disagree because I went middle of the road. The cheap ones usually have crappy lenses, and the expensive ones are usually more than you need. Middle of the road got me a nice lense and as much resolution as I needed. Hence, I'm very happy with mediocrity.

And what is the VAT? Value added tax? Is it only that high on electronics? Either way, people in England get screwed royally on prices, when I went over there, even the food was twice as much.

Originally posted by BroChaos

what's up with 17.5%VAT? is that some type of tax? and why is it so much?

17.5% is included in every price. In the US I think they list prices then you pay sales tax on top right?

In the UK, the price you see is it. Full stop. The reason they seem so expensive is because 17.5% of it is a form of tax (value added tax) straight in Mr Blairs pocket. Along with all the other damn taxes we pay.

17.5% is included in every price. In the US I think they list prices then you pay sales tax on top right?

Or if you buy online, you don't pay sales tax at all. Same with catalouges (so long as the company isn't in your state). Or if you go to New Hampshire (no sales tax there). Or clothes under $50, and food, some other things too. But, I can say it's never 17.5%...more like 8% at the most.

lol...I have to disagree because I went middle of the road. The cheap ones usually have crappy lenses, and the expensive ones are usually more than you need. Middle of the road got me a nice lense and as much resolution as I needed. Hence, I'm very happy with mediocrity.

well yours was $200, and it's a nice one, so i wouldn't consider it middle. i guess i'm talking about the $99-199 crappy ones. and there's always exceptions ;)

Or if you buy online, you don't pay sales tax at all. Same with catalouges (so long as the company isn't in your state). Or if you go to New Hampshire (no sales tax there). Or clothes under $50, and food, some other things too. But, I can say it's never 17.5%...more like 8% at the most.

Just another reason why we are stitched.

There are ways around it I think. Like small businesses I think. I'm pretty sure that my Uncle has bought me something and claimed the VAT back cause he said it was for his company.

But for the average joe, it's on everything, from a packet of crisps in a shop, to a new car.

Just another reason why we are stitched.

There are ways around it I think. Like small businesses I think. I'm pretty sure that my Uncle has bought me something and claimed the VAT back cause he said it was his company.

But for the average joe, it's on everything, from a packet of crisps in a shop, to a new car.

that is just insane. that's so much money :s

Originally posted by BroChaos

well yours was $200, and it's a nice one, so i wouldn't consider it middle. i guess i'm talking about the $99-199 crappy ones. and there's always exceptions ;)

Yeah, it was still a compromise though. I really wanted the Canon Elph, that thing is like half the size of my hand, but was going to be around $400.

I guess the key is that it takes the pictures you need it to take. And that it can actually run for a few hours on its batteries. I question some of these cheap cameras ability to do that, especially if they use proprietary power (non-standard batteries).

And Dazzla, what's the income tax like over there? We get screwed here on that. About 50% of your income goes to local/state/federal/property/ taxes and insurance here.