A few iMac questions

Nothing's definite but I'm thinking about finally switching to Mac and I was wondering about a few things. First, I'm planning on getting the new iMac (256SD/80G/SuperDrive/GeF4MX). Now, I have an extra stick of SDRAM (256MB PC133), would that work alright with the existing 256? Because it's a lot better than spending an extra $150 on just 256 more from the Apple Store :D. Next, I have a GeForce 4 Ti4400 in my PC, from what I know Macs and PCs can use the same video cards but it's better to be safe; would that work alright in the iMac? That's about it for now, thanks for any help provided.

Originally posted by correllium

Nothing's definite but I'm thinking about finally switching to Mac and I was wondering about a few things. First, I'm planning on getting the new iMac (256SD/80G/SuperDrive/GeF4MX). Now, I have an extra stick of SDRAM (256MB PC133), would that work alright with the existing 256? Because it's a lot better than spending an extra $150 on just 256 more from the Apple Store :D. Next, I have a GeForce 4 Ti4400 in my PC, from what I know Macs and PCs can use the same video cards but it's better to be safe; would that work alright in the iMac? That's about it for now, thanks for any help provided.

Don't want to start a mac flame, but why don't you just spend about half the money on a pc? The components will be much better, a GeForce4MX in a mac for that price, please. You could get a GeForce4 Ti4200 or Ti4400 for a new pc. All I am saying is, just compare prices and components for the money, and processor speed, especially if you build it yourself. Yes, the Mac OS is cool, but I also love WinXP and it has never crashed on me. Just think about it... :p

Originally posted by RodneyCK

Don't want to start a mac flame, but why don't you just spend about half the money on a pc? The compenents will be much better, a GeForce4MX in a mac for that price, please. You could get a GeForce4 Ti200 or Ti400 for a new pc. All I am saying is, just compare prices and components for the money, and processor speed, especially if you build it yourself. Yes, the Mac OS is cool, but I also love WinXP and it has never crashed on me. Just think about it... :p

Yeah, I know what you mean and that is still an option (building a new PC) but the one I have now is alright (P4 1.3/256MB/GeForce 4 Ti 4400/80GB/XP), this is just IF I switch. And if there's a cheaper way to get a Mac w/o paying for some things I already have (hard drive, video card, ram) then I'd be glad to see it :)

oh man, all you have to do is upgrade your cpu, mb and ram and you are set, with money left to burn. Still, even you p1.3 cpu is fast, probably faster than the imac..

So many choices in life...:evil:

Don't want to start a mac flame, but why don't you just spend about half the money on a pc? The components will be much better, a GeForce4MX in a mac for that price, please. You could get a GeForce4 Ti4200 or Ti4400 for a new pc. All I am saying is, just compare prices and components for the money, and processor speed, especially if you build it yourself. Yes, the Mac OS is cool, but I also love WinXP and it has never crashed on me. Just think about it... :p

Wow, that answered his question, nice one :right:

Anyway, for starters, your GF4 card won't do anything on the Mac, did you really think it would fit in the iMac? it's only 10.6" across and only 5.5" high.

Secondly, the memory, the user changable memory is So-Dimm, Laptop memory basically, so you won't be able to use that existing Ram.

If you want to keep some of your PC stuff, you could maybe look at getting the new Dual 867 powermac. You could keep the monitor, memory, hard drive and your graphics card.

That would make it a kick ass Mac and you'd have a much, much better spec the the iMac and it would be cheaper.

Originally posted by Dazzla

Anyway, for starters, your GF4 card won't do anything on the Mac, did you really think it would fit in the iMac? it's only 10.6" across and only 5.5" high.

Wow, that was really stupid of me :D, didn't even come to mind.

If you want to keep some of your PC stuff, you could maybe look at getting the new Dual 867 powermac. You could keep the monitor, memory, hard drive and your graphics card.

That would make it a kick ass Mac and you'd have a much, much better spec the the iMac and it would be cheaper.

Thanks, sounds like a great plan to me.

Wow, that answered his question, nice one :right:

Secondly, the memory, the user changable memory is So-Dimm, Laptop memory basically, so you won't be able to use that existing Ram.

Nice try...:sleeping:

OR.... you could sink that money in a new pc cpu, mb and ram and really kick the mac's butt and it would only be about a third of the price than a dual 867mhz mac, please. Like I said, and it sounds like you already know, just compare, you will see..

Nice try...:sleeping:

OR.... you could sink that money in a new pc cpu, mb and ram and really kick the mac's butt and it would only be about a third of the price than a dual 867mhz mac, please. Like I said, and it sounds like you already know, just compare, you will see..

YES, we know. But he didn't ask what his options were on upgrading his PC, nor did he ask the benifits of Mac over PC and vice versa.

He asked for options on buying a Mac. Save your wise advice for when/if he creates a thread asking for upgrade possibilities on his PC.

well i've played with a few newer MACs and i actually like them. I didn't like the older stuff at all and even tho the iMac (the new one) looks real good it's too much money and i don't like the "all-in-one" idea. If something breaks that usually means get an external version if it's even possible or get a new computer (or just the mobo since everything is built on it) Still like it tho... pretty fast.

As for the GF4, well sell or trade it or something (hehe, trade it to me) :) cuz if you go that world then your poor GF4 will just be collecting dust and my GF3 right now not feelign so hot especially when playing UT 2003 so i guess those NV30s better come soon or i'll get a cheap GF4 ti 4200 or 4400 and then upgrade again (GRRRRR) anyways.... I'd stick with PCs tho.. much more and in some cases better games (apparently you like games - GF4) so that's one reason i wouldn't go there... it's more like a fantasy for me (like them girls on TV.. drooling - for some of them... )

/edit

WOW Dazzla reached 5000 too? YIKES!

lol, some people just don't get it. if their esteemed opinions on pc's were wanted, we would have asked for them.

i get so tired of

member:"which mac should i get"

dumbass: "get a pc"

read the damn subject people. :rolleyes:

YES, we know. But he didn't ask what his options were on upgrading his PC, nor did he ask the benifits of Mac over PC and vice versa.

He asked for options on buying a Mac. Save your wise advice for when/if he creates a thread asking for upgrade possibilities on his PC.

Hey, I was the one that asked him a simple question as posted above. YOu are the one that butted in and started the flame, so get off the pulpit.

I will just leave him with this thought/option to think about... What are you going to do when you need to upgrade your mac? We already discussed how easy and cheap it is to upgrade his pc. He will have very little options down the road on a mac, oh yeah, buy a whole new system... there you go. Good luck!

Hey, I was the one that asked him a simple question as posted above. YOu are the one that butted in and started the flame, so get off the pulpit.

I will just leave him with this thought/option to think about... What are you going to do when you need to upgrade your mac? We already discussed how easy and cheap it is to upgrade his pc. He will have very little options down the road on a mac, oh yeah, buy a whole new system... there you go. Good luck!

RodneyCK, meet BroChaos:

Originally posted by BroChaos

member:"which mac should i get"

dumbass: "get a pc"

This thread isn't going to be turned into Mac vs PC crap. He asked a question and you gave a totally unrelated answer.

obviously you don't know what you're talking about. you won't need to upgrade the mac for a long time, making the mac just as cheap in the long run.

dazzla butted in?? he answerd the dude's questions. you didn't contribute anything positive.

correllium: if you can afford to keep the pc, then get a mac. it would be nice to have the best of both. :)

Well, allow me to butt in and mention that you are posting in a thread contained in Operating Systems Support > Macintosh. So kindly butt out if all you're gonna do is restart a stupid PC vs. Mac thread. Chances are pretty good that you're not going to say anything original or informative, so just move on.

Originally posted by BroChaos

correllium: if you can afford to keep the pc, then get a mac. it would be nice to have the best of both. :)

Yep that's what I'm hoping for right now :), I'm playing PC games less and less but it'd still be nice to have.

That's what happened to me, I kept my PC but I switched fully over to Mac pretty quickly.

My VAIO is gathering dust and I'm putting it up for sale tomorrow. The only time I've used it since April was last week to slipstream SP3 into 2k cause I was bored (neowin was down :p )

That's what happened to me, I kept my PC but I switched fully over to Mac pretty quickly.

My VAIO is gathering dust and I'm putting it up for sale tomorrow. The only time I've used it since April was last week to slipstream SP3 into 2k cause I was bored (neowin was down :p )

:D Yeah, and if I do fully switch then I can sell it to my cousin or something, he's getting a little sick of his Pentium Pro w/ a 1GB hard drive lol

Originally posted by azazel-

Well, allow me to butt in and mention that you are posting in a thread contained in Operating Systems Support > Macintosh. So kindly butt out if all you're gonna do is restart a stupid PC vs. Mac thread. Chances are pretty good that you're not going to say anything original or informative, so just move on.

Well, allow me to point out that you are posting in a thread contained in Operating Systems Support > Macintosh on a site geared for Windows, thus neoWIN.net. So, to think someone from the pc camp isn't going to comment or can't is absurd.

And, I did contribute something positive, I gave him an option to think about. Now, what exactly in all that quote above did you contribute, besides flaming?

rodney, please, give it up. what you are saying has been said a 1000 times already. it doesn't matter what the name of the website is, your comments in the mac forum, about a mac question, were off topic and uneccesary.

Well, allow me to point out that you are posting in a thread contained in Operating Systems Support > Macintosh on a site geared for Windows, thus neoWIN.net. So, to think someone from the pc camp isn't going to comment or can't is absurd.

And, I did contribute something positive, I gave him an option to think about. Now, what exactly in all that quote above did you contribute, besides flaming?

Its still a Macintosh board. you don't post questions about the end of the world in the windows forum...you just post every other problem you have with windows there.

The price of Macs in the long term is cheaper than a similar pc. By the time you have to buy a new mac (avg 4 years), you will have updated your pc 5 or so times to keep up with the newest Windows and games. While you are dealing with all of the dll problems because apps do something wrong...with all your irq crap with the hardware. Or when, for some unknown reason, windows just wont boot...who knows why. Or how about the 2 billion virii and hackers out there trying to get at you. I could think of a few hundred other reasons that take up a pc users time. All those things do not take up my time, being a mac user (note: i used to be a pc user). Time=money. All those troubles with windows takes time to fix.

While you are dealing with all that pc crap, mac users have to deal with paying 99 dollars for .mac. And that was a pretty big deal for some.

So...lets stick to the topic of helping the guy out with his imac questions instead of your pc spam. Ok?

I say make the switch, bro.

I did a month ago and now my PC is collecting dust. Some of the things on the Mac that I like are

It takes one step to delete a program from your Mac instead of 3-5 like on a PC.

Microsoft applications (Office and IE) have better features, UI, and they run better on a Mac than a PC.

The code is more streamlined and cleaner, so a Mac doesn't have to have a P4 2.2gig chip in it so it can be fast and stable. My 700mhz iBook can out preform my 1gig AMD PC in Photoshop and Office.

just some ups when you switch to the Mac, and don't worry, there are many more.

:)

Damn Rodney, no one CARES what you want, does a PC run Mac os X?no, so maybe take the OS into consideration, not just the hardware:right:

Seems like everytime a PC troll in a Mac board is put to rest, another springs up.

Originally posted by correllium

Yep that's what I'm hoping for right now :), I'm playing PC games less and less but it'd still be nice to have.

That was my plan a month ago, get a Mac to go along with my PC, best of both worlds. Only thing is that this new world is so nice and well functioning I have spent no time on the first world. :p

It's only been a month and I'm already thinking up ways to maybe sell my PC and get another Mac...... of course my eyes are bigger than my bank account.

It sounds like you have a fairly decent PC at your disposal now, that would certainly take care of all tasks requiring a PC (if you have any). So you're left with a few options.

You could go with the new iMac, very stylish and a nice 17" LCD (not to mention specs.. SuperDrive etc.)

You could also buy a cheaply configured dual 867 G4 and take some of your PC components as already suggested. (Hard drive, graphics, memory etc.) Of course, you would have an unusable PC with still valuable parts in it.. so at that point you would most likely sell off the remaining parts.

My recommendation is to weigh out the costs of both those options, and keep in mind the fact that you *might* benefit from having a PC around for certain situations. I'm kindof in the opposite situation, I bought a new Inspiron 8200 to compliment my workhorse of a G4-400 (the original). And when I say compliment I mean the G4 will mostly be around just because it looks nice and impressive hehe.

You can argue the merits of a PC and Mac and compare them until you are blue in the face, but I can assure you that your chances of being a satisfied customer with a new Mac are very high. :)

Thanks for everyone's input :). If I do end up wanting to sell the PC I'd still be able to because I have a Radeon 7000/VE that could replace the GF4 and the SD is just from my old PC, mine now has RD. I could keep the hard drive in it too since the lowest choice for the G4 is a 60GB and that should be plenty for me (or just switch them ;)). But I couldn't use that SD anyways since it's just normal, not DDR, correct? But I could just pick up a 256MB stick from Newegg or GoogleGear for like $45. So the PC stuff I'd be using with the Mac would be the GF4 and monitor. So everything should work out alright :).