Dual G4's .. Only Option

Apparently Apple no longer offers single processor G4's. If one wants to purchase a PowerMac, their only option is now a Dual Processor G4s (with the chapest one being around 1700 dollars).

Yes, but you can look at it one of two ways. Grab a discontinued single CPU for cheaper then it originally was, or buy dual Apple in the knowledge that you're getting more Bang for your buck then you are in the old one.

Originally posted by astrokat

Apparently Apple no longer offers single processor G4's. If one wants to purchase a PowerMac, their only option is now a Dual Processor G4s (with the chapest one being around 1700 dollars).

Get a new iMac or an eMac then.

The PowerMac is the Pro line, duals are now the standard for the pro line.

If you really, really have to get a single G4 tower, look at Apple resellers. They will be clearing out older stocks and probably offer price reductions.

IMO $1700 is a rather good deal, it's far less cripppled than the previous low-end Power Mac line up.

--

unspec

yeah, go with resellers or a refurb machine. You can still get them, just not through Apple directly, that's all. Plus, you might be able to pick one up at your local Apple Store if they haven't cleared them out yet...

actually, i was jsut ordering my iMac 17" and they have the SP PMs on the educational site still.

1252 for a single 867mhz g4 through them. If you're covered by the educational discount, check it out :D

I just got a 17" imac the DAY before they released the new powermacs. I'm tempted to sell my imac and get a new powermac.

My question is...How much will dual processors do for me, or will it mostly just help my ego? I don't do all that much in photoshop or photo editing...

It seems to me, that even with the huge drop in powermac prices, the iMac is still the way to go. After you buy the pm, you still have to get a monitor if you dont have one. Add 250-300 dollars for a nice 17 inch on to the price of a pm. If you don't need the superdrive, and of course the 100mhz difference isn't that large, the imac comes out quite a bit cheaper. About the price of a monitor, cheaper.

My parents (longtime pc users), are typical parents. They know how to run a computer, internet, etc, but arent THAT knowledgable. They are going to be getting a new computer so mainly for office use. And of course they are gonna get most of the info from me. Well guess what...I am going to recommend a Mac....a push it as hard as i can. 1300 for an imac, or 1100 for an emac are perfect for them

they are returning to having 2 set types of macs

:the e-mac and i-mac for home users and general buissnes use

and the Power Mac built for doing heavy graphics work, rendering and servers.

becasue only a little while ago there wasn't enough of a preformance difference to notice between the 2 mac types and therefor no point.

soon the deffinitions of the home and educational versions and the buissines versions will be easyer to tell:

faster RAM chipsets and new genaration powerPC chips for the high end macs and cheaper space saving childeren of the LCD i-mac and CRT e-mac.

I heard that the new power macs are actually slower than the old ones although I can't back it up to much as it was a pc site that reported it and no other site has done it yet. Read here.

Originally posted by GatorZx2

It does, and now the eMac has an optional Super Drive.

yah but the superdrive is hardly worth it for a homeuser.

Originally posted by superfula

Well guess what...I am going to recommend a Mac....a push it as hard as i can. 1300 for an imac, or 1100 for an emac are perfect for them

if you get an e-mac get the combo drive and alot 'o extra ram, it still uses pc 100

Originally posted by mAcOdIn

I heard that the new power macs are actually slower than the old ones although I can't back it up to much as it was a pc site that reported it and no other site has done it yet. Read here.

it's only the dual 800 and 1gtz that have a smaller L3 cache, making them slower in comunicating with the memory when compared to what used to be the best one the old dual 1gtz that had a 2mb L3 cache.

and i'd assume that it's only slower under load when it cant take advatage of a larger cache. Under less load i bet it's faster since it's on a faster chipset and using DDR ram.

and if u got all that then tell those that dont understand sittign next to you...

Originally posted by Nova_rock

yah but the superdrive is hardly worth it for a homeuser.

Hmmm, even if I don't call me a homeuser, I still got a HP 100 DVDi on my pc... ;)

it's only the dual 800 and 1gtz that have a smaller L3 cache, making them slower in comunicating with the memory when compared to what used to be the best one the old dual 1gtz that had a 2mb L3 cache.

True there

and i'd assume that it's only slower under load when it cant take advatage of a larger cache. Under less load i bet it's faster since it's on a faster chipset and using DDR ram.

I'm not sure on that point I don't think the new chip actually supports DDR, yeah you can put it in there but if the chip ain't made for it it doesn't do much like running ddr on a pc in asynchronouse mode.

and if u got all that then tell those that dont understand sittign next to you...

And I still think it's a good mac, But I think it was a kinda haphazard upgrade they need something new for thier powermac line. That being said the imac's rock and I'm looking forward to my ibook next payday