.NET - What languages are you using?

Question

I'm just curious as to what languages everybody is using with .NET now. Since the code is supposed to give similar performance independent of the language on the .NET common runtime, language is more flexible based on company standards, personal preferences, etc...

I do most of the front-end programming for my company but have been creating some XML web services with C# lately. Most of the COM work now is done with VB.NET. I've been leaning towards C# myself just because I think it is more...marketable. :)

So, I was just wanting to get some other peoples' opinions (outside of my company) to see what people's preferences are.

23 answers to this question

Well, I spent my formative years ;), doing fat client VB programming. I did that for a few years, then have been doing mostly front-end (DHTML, Jscript, ASP, XML, etc...) for the last couple of years. I am getting very bored of that because I don't feel like there is anything left for me to learn.

So, lately I've been branching out to covert some of our old stuff over to ASP.NET C# web services. The VB.NET stuff is pretty much old hat to me being that it is basically VB with Java-like exception handling thrown in there.

So, I've been doing some C# on my own and like it. I was curious if most people are prefering C# over VB.NET now and think that it is in my best interest to focus on that.

I've done all my projects in VB .NET so far, but I think C# is a little more useful for object-oriented programming, and I'm starting to learn it. Problem is finding new projects, I guess, but I'm sure some will pop up.

Yeah, I think alot of people in our group are using VB.NET cause it's so easy. We only have a couple of people in our group that are using C++/C#.

I'd say with the advancements in language capabilities with VB.NET (once again the exception handling), there are fewer reasons to switch to C++/C# from VB.

I love .NET :)

I buidling my site with asp.net with C# code with sql server 2000 dev edition or access 2002. Too bad i'm not going to learn .NET after this fall :(. I'm trully amazed building a website is like building an window app with the same class, easy and fun. You can build mobile.NET, asp.NET, web.NET ect. Plus Delphi 7 features .NET, which i might build web/win app. :)

.NET even supports mysql

http://www.asp.net/Forums/ShowForum.aspx?t...ex=1&ForumID=56

Get The ASP.NET Web Matrix Project

http://www.asp.net/webmatrix/default.aspx?...ndex=4&tabid=46

C# and C++ (even though you can use that language for Microsoft .NET) wins hands down. Why anyone would use Visual Basic, I don't know, awful. But I like C#, the pwoer of my pst experiences of C and C++ and with the ease of Java.

I'm teaching myself C# and looking to develop an ASP.NET website for my final year Comp Sci dissertation coming up using C# as well

So thats whats keeping me busy at the moment

Haven't tried VB.NET yet, maybe later when I get C# under my belt

VB.NET - primary..

don't know a **** about C or C++ or i know a bit of java, so J# i've attempted.

haven't even looked @ C# yet. will soon.

C# for me as well. I used to use VB5 at work but we switched over to .NET - yippee! I'm the only one using C# and I like it that way.

C# is a very nice programming language. Much more elegant than VB.NET.

Overall, I'm very impressed with .NET. It makes programming far easier, and I'm actually enjoying using it!