CAT6 - Patch (Straight)/Crossover...

What is the difference between patch (straight through) and crossover CAT6 cable?

What kind of cable would I use in the following situation (some of you may already know my situation):

I want to put CAT6 cable through my walls. One end will come out at the router/switch, whilst the other end(s) will go to each of the bedrooms, and any other rooms. At the bedrooms, I will put a panel in the wall, so there's no cable hanging out.

Now say I want to connect a computer in one of the bedrooms, to the router via the CAT6 in the wall.

What cable would be required in the wall (leading to the router), and what cable would I need to use to connect the computer to the cable in the wall?

Is it actually important whether I choose straight through or crossover?

Any help would be appreciated.

(I've tried googling on CAT6, but a lot of sites just get way too technical for me to understand. If anyone knows an easy to understand website that I can read up on, that would be a bonus)

ALWAYS USE STRAIGHT THRU!!!

crossover is ONLY for computer to computer conections!

hope this helps

ste

actually mate you are partly inaccurate

a RJ45 cross over patch cable has 1 true use the name kind of gives it away. It is due to this that you can use it to directly connect two NICs to each other. (pins 1&3 on ONE end are swapped)

Cross overs are

EIA/TIA 568A on one end

EIA/TIA 568B on one end

Straight Thru RJ45 is

EIA/TIA 568A

EIA/TIA 568A

A patch cable is used to uplink hubs & switches to each other in a managed stackable environment, so that they cascase and configure as 1 large switch/hub.

You want a CAT5e cable straight thru, this will suffice and is cheaper. Gig lan will run quite happily on decent CAT5E

Krazy1: you are correct as long as the ends are terminated in the same order it is possible, although id not advise it as its veering off the international standard.

Edited by Mando

use crossover for like devices. eg pc - pc (games consoles count), or router - router.

use straight for non-like devices. eg pc - router.

'patch' is not an alternative name for 'straight through', it simply refers to a short flexible cable. the oposite is a 'network' cable which is a less flexible, usually longer cable, which usually ends in a wall plug, and is mainly found in schools or offices.

i dont think theres much point in shelling out for cat6 unless youve got the hardware that can make use of it. youll need to make sure your nics and routers are 10/100/1000. unless they are, id stick with cat5e.

ALWAYS USE STRAIGHT THRU!!!

crossover is ONLY for computer to computer conections!

hope this helps

ste

Yes that does help :laugh: However, I currently have a CAT5 cable, and before I got a router, and I used to connect two computers together for Internet Connection Sharing. Now we've got a router, I still use that same cable to connect a computer to the router. Why does this work? The cable itself says "Verified TIA/EIA 568-A CAT5 Patch" on one end, and the same on the other.

I am not sure of the price difference of Cat5E and Cat6 - but if it is significant, I do not think the cost is warrented - at least not for home networking.

Well we're putting network cabling through the walls anyway, and I think it'll be a worthwhile future investment, especially if the PlayStation 3 actually uses the Gigabit ethernet it's supposed to have. For 305m, CAT6 is ?30 more expensive than CAT5e (Maplin.co.uk), and I think this is reasonble.

Yes that does help :laugh: However, I currently have a CAT5 cable, and before I got a router, and I used to connect two computers together for Internet Connection Sharing. Now we've got a router, I still use that same cable to connect a computer to the router. Why does this work?

because you have to use a straight cable for pc to router connection, for pc to pc you have to use cross

because you have to use a straight cable for pc to router connection, for pc to pc you have to use cross

Yeah but what I'm saying is that I have used exactly the same cable for both pc to pc AND pc to router.

Yes that does help :laugh: However, I currently have a CAT5 cable, and before I got a router, and I used to connect two computers together for Internet Connection Sharing. Now we've got a router, I still use that same cable to connect a computer to the router. Why does this work? The cable itself says "Verified TIA/EIA 568-A CAT5 Patch" on one end, and the same on the other.

Well we're putting network cabling through the walls anyway, and I think it'll be a worthwhile future investment, especially if the PlayStation 3 actually uses the Gigabit ethernet it's supposed to have. For 305m, CAT6 is ?30 more expensive than CAT5e (Maplin.co.uk), and I think this is reasonble.

the router will support MDIX switching probs and converts to the crossover.

Are you connected to port 1 of the router perchance? this is usually the uplink port on most decent branded routers (but can be used as normal also).

we run gig switches at work dood and it all runs sweet on CAT5e (im a network admin/systems installer)

I recently purchased a 50 foot CAT6 crossover cable for around $10 from Newegg. Not sure how prices will vary in terms of pure conversion and/or differences, but it was worth it. If you can afford it, then by all means, go ahead.

Actually this magic cable is connected to the second port on my Netgear DG834GT.

So what speeds can CAT5e reach when transferring files across computers?

Erm what exactly do you mean by speeds? It is sufficient for 10/100/1000 bandwidth, you never get a true 1gbit bandwidth due to system overheads & throughput/overheads on network regardless of cable medium.

We stream & transfer large files across our domain on our 1000 LAN and its not 10x more than 100 in all honesty.

dvd streaming across LAN will work flawlessly on a 10mbit network never mind 100mbit/1000

A gbit lan is as only as quick as the throughput from internet/network and would only show higher throuput on copying large files/large amount of files in 1 go.

bit of a waste of ? tbh esp when even the very very fastest net announced is 100mbit with NTL.

Oh ok. Hmm I think I'll reconsider.

Can anyone suggest good online retailers for network cable? I've only looked at maplin so far, and some of the other ones I have found through googling look a bit unreliable.

Oh ok. Hmm I think I'll reconsider.

Can anyone suggest good online retailers for network cable? I've only looked at maplin so far, and some of the other ones I have found through googling look a bit unreliable.

I usually get my cable from ebay. The price I get there is much cheaper then I can buy it in stores by me.

Ah yeah that's probably a good option.

Another question (sorry guys, I really appreciate it):

What's the difference bewteen Cat5e UTP Stranded Cable and Cat5e UTP Solid Cable? The stranded ones seems a lot more expensive. Do I use Solid through the walls?

Ah yeah that's probably a good option.

Another question (sorry guys, I really appreciate it):

What's the difference bewteen Cat5e UTP Stranded Cable and Cat5e UTP Solid Cable? The stranded ones seems a lot more expensive. Do I use Solid through the walls?

Stranded uses fine twisted copper wires for each conductor. Solid is a solid strand of copper.

http://www.mycableshop.ca/techarticles/Solid.htm

For best results, use solid for wall jacks and stranded for crimp connectors.

Solid are supposed to be used for longer runs where as Stranded is to be used for patch cables but if you aren't doing really long runs you can use stranded for anything. I have both at home and they both work fine. I am surprised that you were finding stranded more expensive then solid. Usually it is the other way around.

i find solid easier to use, especially with crimping for sum reason, you shoul dgo with taht me thinks, if youd live in manchester ida given you sum butur a londoner

I am a Londoner my friend :p

Does anyone in the UK know if it's possible to wire CAT5e to work with the UK BT telephone plug. I've read a guide that shows it's possible to use CAT5e as a telephone line in the US, but i'm not sure if it'll work in the UK.

I am a Londoner my friend :p

Does anyone in the UK know if it's possible to wire CAT5e to work with the UK BT telephone plug. I've read a guide that shows it's possible to use CAT5e as a telephone line in the US, but i'm not sure if it'll work in the UK.

Should work - provided you match the wires up correctly :p

use crossover for like devices. eg pc - pc (games consoles count), or router - router.

use straight for non-like devices. eg pc - router.

Nope. If there is an uplink port you use a patch cable.

With MDIX you can use either.

'patch' is not an alternative name for 'straight through', it simply refers to a short flexible cable. the oposite is a 'network' cable which is a less flexible, usually longer cable, which usually ends in a wall plug, and is mainly found in schools or offices.

Oh man. Crack open a few books and you'll soon learn that terms are often used more than once to mean different things. Take IDE for example: Intelligent Drive Electronics or Integrated Drive Electronics and integrated development environment.

"Network cable" is NOT an official term and your explanation is just plain laughable. A patch cable does NOT refer to a short flexible cable. It can refer to a piece of copper wire or fibre optic cable. "Network cable" is a simplified term used by consumers. Most people know what a network cable is or what the "network cable" is. Most don't understand what a patch cable is. The same holds true for ports. Most know what the "Network Port" (or even LAN port) on their computer is for. Most don't know it's actually called an RJ-45 port.

Straight/Straight-thru/Straight through cable is a term made up by novices trying to differentiate between a patch cable and a crossover cable.

In networking (simplified):

Patch cable = same on both end

So a patch cable is the same as a straight through.

i dont think theres much point in shelling out for cat6 unless youve got the hardware that can make use of it. youll need to make sure your nics and routers are 10/100/1000. unless they are, id stick with cat5e.

Tests show that there is atleast some improvement in throughput with CAT6, even with 10/100 devices.

you mean as a telephone line extender?

No. I mean as the physical line going through the walls to the master socket.

Should work - provided you match the wires up correctly :p

That's the problem really - it's not one of those things where you can find guides for. And if you can, it's usually for the US system.