Reformat a Mac drive?

Hey neowin.

Just curious, how do I reformat a mac drive? This is for my 800 MHZ PowerBook. All I want is OS X on it, I don't want 9. Is there an easy way of doing this?

Thanks

MIke

Boot from the OS X CD by inserting the CD and holding "C" while booting. When the setup starts, just to to "installer" then "disk utility" in the menu at the top.

From there on it's pretty simple, you have options for partitioning, RAID, erase etc.

Originally posted by Dazzla

Boot from the OS X CD by inserting the CD and holding "C" while booting. When the setup starts, just to to "installer" then "disk utility" in the menu at the top.

From there on it's pretty simple, you have options for partitioning, RAID, erase etc.

thanks Dazzla. By the way, I just realized I got ripped off on the Power Book. The guy sent me the 667 version with 30 gig drive and 16 MB graphics card. I emailed him twice and no answer. What can I do from here? Any suggestions.

Mike

Originally posted by lebmike

thanks Dazzla. By the way, I just realized I got ripped off on the Power Book. The guy sent me the 667 version with 30 gig drive and 16 MB graphics card. I emailed him twice and no answer. What can I do from here? Any suggestions.

Mike

Damn that is bad. I have no idea what you could do next.

Remind me never to buy anything off of ebay...

Damn that is bad. I have no idea what you could do next.

Remind me never to buy anything off of ebay...

Dazzla, he got back to me...said the box is wrong, apple lets you chose what to upgrade when you purchase. Is this true? would the box show different specs? Also, how do i check system specs, CPU speed, ram, HD, etc..?

Open Applications -> Utilities -> Apple system profiler.

That will give you your exact details.

And the specs Apple put on the box are the specs of the Mac in the box.

Originally posted by superfula

Yeah sounds like the guy is no good. Like Dazzla said...if it came straight from Apple, the specs on the box will be what the powerbook is.

actually that bit isnt true if you get a custom config one cos when we got the cube there was more ram in it than the box had stated but even still lebmike if I were you I'd contact ebay customer service and tell them the guy tried to con you.

Just curious, how much did you pay for it

Originally posted by Wickedkitten

actually that bit isnt true if you get a custom config one cos when we got the cube there was more ram in it than the box had stated but even still lebmike if I were you I'd contact ebay customer service and tell them the guy tried to con you.

Just curious, how much did you pay for it

If I can remember correctly it was $2500.

And when you order a custom config, you can't order the base 667 then upgrade the CPU to 800, and vice versa so if it says 800 on the box, it should be 800. If it says 667 it should be 667.

And when you order a custom config, you can't order the base 667 then upgrade the CPU to 800, and vice versa so if it says 800 on the box, it should be 800. If it says 667 it should be 667.

yeah i know about the cpu bit.

if he paid $2500 then thats not THAT bad of a deal considering the fact that the baseline 667 with only a 20 gb hd costs that much

the only thing different from the specs on the website is the ram. it does have 512.

i'm ****ED!

mike

Here's is what I have found out so far.

M8623LL/A is the machine the seller sent me...

the one they posted on ebay was:

M8592LL/A

So far the seller has been cooperative, but i am awaiting the final answer on what they are going to do about this before i go to the officials.

The person seems legit, got 20+ possitive feedbacks on ebay, no idea why they would do this to someone.

If any of you would like to take a look, the item number on ebay is:

here is the direct link:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...2044380874&rd=1

let me know what you all think this person should do.

Mike

after looking at the auction theres no way this guy didn't rip you off. If I were you I wouldn't wait for him to make up his mind about what he's going to do. I'd contact ebay and tell them that the guy ripped you off and let them take care of it.

Ok, here is what happend folks.

The guy's gf thought she bought the machine they posted on eBay. For 3 months, these people didn't realize they were running the 667 version w/ the 512 RAm in it. When they bought it from the apple store, they did't bother to look at the box, just opened it and used it for 3 months.

So, they thought the bought the 800 and decided to sell it on eBay. Well, when I did my research I found that the model I had was entirely different then the model number they posted.

SO, they were fair and gave me 2 options.

Return with a full refund, or..

$700.00 cash back.

I took the $700.00 back and resold it on ebay for $2350.00 making a $400 profit. Go me!

I love eBay!!! :)

Mike