What are these .sqm files?

Recently .sqm files started appearing on my c drive.

C:\

sqmnoopt00.sqm

sqmnoopt01.sqm

What are these files? A new sqm file seems to appear on my C:\ every hour.

Recently .sqm files started appearing on my c drive.

C:\

sqmnoopt00.sqm

sqmnoopt01.sqm

What are these files? A new sqm file seems to appear on my C:\ every hour.

I think i got the same problem as u...

wad's that?

I think i got the same problem as u...

wad's that?

I think I figured it out. It has something to do with the latest build of MSN Messanger (566). Everytime I sign in, it creates one of those files on my C drive.

• 2 weeks later...

I think it is from windows live because i am getting them to. You think it will be ok to delete them? annoying as all get out.

• 2 weeks later...

Same here. Must be MSN Live. Reverted back to Trillian anyway- and I thought 3.1 Pro used my memory- msn 8 is a giant cow in comparison. A greedy cow.

Stupid .sqm files make my c:\ look messy.

I got these too, I thought they were some kind of virus at first because I found 2 more files 'infected' and 'pending' there too.

I didnt notice them at first though, as they were hidden files.

I've recently had a cleanup. Uninstalled loads of stuff, inluding anything 'Live', except WLM.

• 1 month later...

I was wondering what these files were, too. I guess now I can rest easy knowing it's from WLM.

Microsoft would never intentionally infect customers' computers, right? That is, unless you consider Windows XP itself to be a virus. :p

They're "Service Quality Monitor" data collection timer files created from Windows Live Messenger :) I'm guessing they'll be removed after the program finalizes.

They're "Service Quality Monitor" data collection timer files created from Windows Live Messenger :) I'm guessing they'll be removed after the program finalizes.

QFT...

They don't annoy me that much, I don't see what the big deal is. But I also don't see why we need them :p

i asked the messenger live team this question via the online support form, they said it was part of msn live, and helps the program in some way (i cant find the email they sent.) but they should have used a less dodgy looking name. when i first saw it, i thought it was a virus.

• 2 weeks later...

I have "sqmnoopt00.sqm" as well ever since I installed Windows Live Messenger. I deleted it and disabled the Customer Experience Improvement Program feature and it never gets generated again (hopefully)

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I never had the Customer Experience Improvement thing checked but still got load of these :/

same here... its getting very annoying to delete these all the time when their not wanted. I dont have the Quality Improvement thingy checked either. Could it be linked with encrypting chat logs? I never had this sqm happen til i upgraded to Live messenger.

• 1 month later...

Hi all ,

my sqm's seemed to appear when I tried to delete the Incredimail games bar. I am unable to do so and each time I did a "new mail" box appeared with sqm in the address box.Pain in a***.