What are these .sqm files?

I think I found a way to get rid of them. It worked for me. (so far)

Go to options > Security > Check "This is a public computer, so don't store my address book, display picture, or personal message on it." Click OK

^ Assuming you are using the latest build 8.0.0812.00 (A-Patched with a RC release of a-patch)

Exit messenger.

Delete all those .sqm files.

And those files are now history.

Personally, I've been having some problems getting messenger to 'sync' new contact information (like what groups a contact belongs to, new contact groups, and such) with hotmail. And this fixes that issue for me too.

Edited by Coolme

• 4 weeks later...

Its very easy to resolve the problem easy.

create a batch file, called maybe delsqm.bat and fill it with the following lines:

@ECHO OFF

ATTRIB C:\*.SQM -R -S -H +A

DEL C:\*.SQM

What this does?

Well, first @ECHO OFF will remove any displayed text in the commandbox, so you only see a black box for a very short time.

The ATTRIB command removes hidden and readonly attributes from the file and replace them with the archive attribute for easy to delete them. Well the last command is deleting all the SQM files in your root directory.

Put this batchfile in your autostart directory. Default is c:\documents and setting\all users\startmenu\programs\startup\

Now on every Windows start all the SQM files will be deleted :)

Ciao Ciao :)

I had the same problem when I first signed up with MSN messenger. Even though I went through a lot of their initial setup questions and clicked on such things as "don't send info to MS". I was shocked to find a few days later that my C drive had 41 of those files (5 for each day I was logged on). My tech friend said he had deactivated his but couldn't remember where he did it, so I systematically went through every part of the MSN sign on pages and eventually found a line on the first sign-in page below "status online" that when I clicked on it it had a part which let you opt out of having MSN send info to MS on your activities. Once I did that the line disappeared from the sign-in, so I can't tell you what it is. Once I had done that I was able to delete all those *.sqm files and they did not come back. Hope this helps you all.

MS is going to have a whole lot of angry users if they keep up that sort of thing.

See here for more info:

http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsg...+root+directory

S2

Its very easy to resolve the problem easy.

create a batch file, called maybe delsqm.bat and fill it with the following lines:

@ECHO OFF

ATTRIB C:\*.SQM -R -S -H +A

DEL C:\*.SQM

What this does?

Well, first @ECHO OFF will remove any displayed text in the commandbox, so you only see a black box for a very short time.

The ATTRIB command removes hidden and readonly attributes from the file and replace them with the archive attribute for easy to delete them. Well the last command is deleting all the SQM files in your root directory.

Put this batchfile in your autostart directory. Default is c:\documents and setting\all users\startmenu\programs\startup\

Now on every Windows start all the SQM files will be deleted :)

Ciao Ciao :)

@ECHO OFF
attrib -r -s -h -a x:\*.sqm /s
DEL x:\*.SQM /s
pause

That code works a little better. (x: is your Windows hard drive)

@ECHO OFF
pause

No need for /s since the SQM files for MSN are only created in the root. Having it look through all subfolders will just make it take longer.

@ECHO OFF
pause

mhh, on my pc it takes a very long time with the first command ... and nothing happens except that my harddrive works all the time the dos-box is open. If i close it, working on hd ends. I'd wait 2 minutes, nothing happend.

What does /s?

• 2 months later...

I don't use MSN Messenger and have XP and I started noticing them on my hard drive about a month ago. I've deleted them and nothing happened. It's probably MS collecting info they shouldn't.

No need for /s since the SQM files for MSN are only created in the root. Having it look through all subfolders will just make it take longer.

They are inside your Application Data folder as well

• 2 months later...

1. Open Windows Media Player 10/11, go Tools > Options > Privacy >>

deselect (remove tick) for Windows Media Player Customer Experience Improvement Program.

2. SyncToy (if you have it) open it, go Help > Customer Feedback Options >>

Select No, I don't wish to participate.

3. Registry search and destroy. You may want to backup your whole registry first if you don't have faith in reg editing.

3a. Start >> Run >> type: regedit >> key: Enter

3b. Now in registry editor window, click on edit and then find (or simply Ctrl+F).

Enter " sqm ". When you hit contact with a result, inspect and kill(delete) if you deem necessary.

3c. F3 key will do more searching.

3d. Your done when no more results are found.

4. Let's make one or two of those batch files.

-Safe batch file, only removes .SQM files on home drive root.

Right click on desktop and select New > Text Document. Open it in notepad and paste the code:-

@ECHO OFF
@ECHO Fast SQM File Seek and Destroy
@ECHO This is safe.
pause
attrib -r -s -h -a %HOMEDRIVE%\*.sqm
DEL %HOMEDRIVE%\*.SQM
@ECHO Done!
pause

If you want Full SQM File Seek & Destroy, not considered safe. Change the code to this:-

attrib -r -s -h -a %HOMEDRIVE%\*.sqm /s
DEL %HOMEDRIVE%\*.SQM /s

Save and then rename the file " Fast SQM File Seek & Destroy.bat " or " Fast SQM File Seek & Destroy.bat " making sure whatever you call it has the extension .BAT

Or you could simply fire up good old Windowz search and select All files and folders > Root Drive(C:?) > Search system folders ON and hidden files ON, then search for "*.SQM" (no quotes). Sort the find results by directory by clicking on In Folder within at top of result list. Delete what you deem not worthy!

._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._.

Done all that? Restart and continue your normal duties. Prey M$ are not checking up on your PC activities and check for .SQM files on the root of your home drive now and then.

Note: Some Applications actually use files with the .SQM extension. I have two games Operation Flashpoint and Armed Assault (ArmA) which both being same code base and program structure use .SQM files for missions and such. So be carefull what you delete.

Damn what a long post. Hope this info helps some.

Darkfall out.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
I heard that in addition to NOT joining Microsoft's Customer Experience

Improvement Program (CEIP) from the Tools > Options > General page, you

also need to click on Help > Customer Experience Improvement Program

and choose the "I don't want to participate right now" option.

Sneaky how Microsoft puts this in two different places.

http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsg...amp;m=1&p=1

Worked for me (without batch file)

Edited by adaman02