What do u expect/want in OS 10.3?

theres rumors around that apple is already working on OS 10.3 (aka cheetah) and there might be chance that it'll be another paid upgrade :(, it will probably be announced as early as MWSF '03 or as late as MWNY '03 probably...

so what do u expect/want to see on 10.3?

im hoping to see an apple created (since chimera creator david hyatt works for apple) internet browser since we can see that since microsoft and apple's 5 year contract expired, apple is slowly getting away from microsoft, imovie2 (or 3 or whatever), alot BETTER classic support (within osx) concidering no more os9 as of jan 1st, and hopefully seeing a better version of appleworks, appleworks 6 reminds me too much of appleworks 5...they need new features to work with...

what do u want to see (or expect) for OS 10.3?

grr dont be trying to correct me, when i wrote that i was half asleep :(, not my fault i cant remember all the osx codenames :p

actually i post quite a bit on macrumors :p, n have bout 4 friends from there n one of them is telling me latest gossip of mac software right now lol...

as i was saying, wha would u like to see or expect to see on so 10.3 though?

Originally posted by Heinrich-X

i bet it'll be 10.5 not 10.3, and superfula is correct, its codename Panther not cheetah, cheetah was the codename of the original 10.0

Steve Jobs said OS X is the Operating System for the next 15 years. I am sure they are not going to blast thru version numbers so quickly.

Originally posted by superrcat

Steve Jobs said OS X is the Operating System for the next 15 years. I am sure they are not going to blast thru version numbers so quickly.

hmm in 2010 theres OS 10.6 ;) lol

but he may mean just the osx source code (darwin) n such for the next 15 years since classic lasted 15 years (without osx) so basically same ui, very few changes, etc till os 20 ;) lol jk..by then it'll all be 3D stuff that has a chip in your eye or something....

Originally posted by Silvorgold

all ive got to say bout that is wait a few months *cough opensource cough* ;)

uh huh, and the day that apple makes their operating system opensource is the day that flying monkeys come shrieking from bill gates ######.

uh i never said apple will be involved :p, apple may "try" to sue the open source ppl but apple wont be able to do anything about it....

if someone takes the source code of their os, and releases it without their permission I hate to break your bubble but Apple would be able to do something about it.

uh i never said apple will be involved :p, apple may "try" to sue the open source ppl but apple wont be able to do anything about it....

That's like saying open source zeealots could take Windows, decompile it to get the source code, recompile it for another platform, distribute it, and there not being any recourse from Microsoft about it.

--dave

Would you guys really want to see Darwin "linux-ized" like that? I mean, one of the most compelling features of OS X is Aqua, and the open source community has yet to come up with seriously decent GUI foundation (not meaning XFree86, I mean the windowmanagers). I wouldn't want to see it *******ized just so I could have in on a PC.

meh i give up, i was just telling what i HEARD from a friend whos a big windows/unix buff and i give up, everyone just flames me even if i just give out rumor info :(...

just close this thread plz :(

meh i give up, i was just telling what i HEARD from a friend whos a big windows/unix buff and i give up, everyone just flames me even if i just give out rumor info :(...

just close this thread plz :(

Dude just because people disagree with you it doesn't mean that they're flaming you! lmao

All they're trying to say is that they highly disbalieve what you were trying to put out there. But I saw no flaming.

If you're goign to say something, at least know enough about what you're saying to be able to back it up....otherwise all you're doing is po0ping out your mouth.

jesse ;-)

1) 64 Bit processor support. This will be included rather easily since they just have to sink up with the FreeBSD tree anyways. Drool.... the Power4 IBM chips on OSX....drool....hope it happens.

2) More ported Unix apps included with the system.

3) Improve the developer apps and improve upon Unix cross platform portability.

BTW: You'll never see OS X on x86 anything unless Apple can make sure they can stop BIOS hacking and have anyone w/ an Intel/AMD hack into it and change their desktop system into a MAC.

Originally posted by DrunkenMaster

1) 64 Bit processor support. This will be included rather easily since they just have to sink up with the FreeBSD tree anyways. Drool.... the Power4 IBM chips on OSX....drool....hope it happens.

2) More ported Unix apps included with the system.

3) Improve the developer apps and improve upon Unix cross platform portability.

BTW: You'll never see OS X on x86 anything unless Apple can make sure they can stop BIOS hacking and have anyone w/ an Intel/AMD hack into it and change their desktop system into a MAC.

ok i heard more bout it, and i originally heard it as an open source (not created by apple) x86 version of apple, but its something actually sort of like vpc, but for linux and u can install system 7 - os 10.2 on it, that will still be a major breakthrough, but only ppl who know how to use linux will be able to run it i guess...lets get back on subject...

this is what i expect for os 10.3:

-ibrowse (or something with a similar name)

-imovie3

-better classic support for classic apps concidering os9 wont work after jan 1st

-possibly itunes4 with more rendezvous support if there is any yet

-FASTER even tho jaguar is fast ;)

ok i heard more bout it, and i originally heard it as an open source (not created by apple) x86 version of apple, but its something actually sort of like vpc, but for linux and u can install system 7 - os 10.2 on it, that will still be a major breakthrough, but only ppl who know how to use linux will be able to run it i guess...lets get back on subject...

this is what i expect for os 10.3:

-ibrowse (or something with a similar name)

-imovie3

-better classic support for classic apps concidering os9 wont work after jan 1st

-possibly itunes4 with more rendezvous support if there is any yet

-FASTER even tho jaguar is fast ;)

Actually the version of x86 that is in development by apple is supposed to be ran on an x86 but (wait for it) the os is tied into the bios. :cool:

So for all you people that want osx on an x86, it looks like you are going to have to buy the mobo to run it from apple.

It's actually quite a good idea to tell the truth, you can run it on your precious pc yet apple still makes a profit

tieing the os into the bios ... sounds low if u ask me, if they did do that i wouldnt get the os out of principle.

As for 10.3 i would really like better old world suport. there is no way im going to install a version of osx that doesnt let u boot into classic because thatle make my pritner useless and the video in/out card

I think Jaguar is great, but the one part of the OS that is kind of sub standard, is the Finder.. I'd really like to see a more advanced one in future versions of OS X. For one, I'd like to be able to cut-and-paste a file (with apple-x), and not just rely on dragging to move a file. Windows' explorer has this, and I think it's a really nice feature. Also, there should be a view similar to the "tree view" in the Windows explorer.

I'd use SNAX instead of the Finder, but that'd leave me without a desktop picture and desktop icons.. :(

Originally posted by Wickedkitten

Actually the version of x86 that is in development by apple is supposed to be ran on an x86 but (wait for it) the os is tied into the bios. :cool:

So for all you people that want osx on an x86, it looks like you are going to have to buy the mobo to run it from apple.

It's actually quite a good idea to tell the truth, you can run it on your precious pc yet apple still makes a profit

whoa someone actually believed me for once :s lol...

ya i'dd suspect apple to switch back within 5 years (since the original macs ran on x86)

apple would get new switchers by the tonne...but the anti-x86 mac users wouldnt be too happy :s or else they wont care :s lol

oh you're talking about "Panther"

what do i expect, more of those applications witht the

"i" before its name :p

hopefully soon we'll see

Mac OSx86 :p

Originally posted by xStainDx

oh you're talking about "Panther"

what do i expect, more of those applications witht the

"i" before its name :p

hopefully soon we'll see

Mac OSx86 :p

idd love to see osx on x86 in a way and not see it on x86 for some reason at the same time:

love to see it on x86:

-cheaper mac prices

-closed x86 *maybe* but if as wickedkitten said happens, normal pcs could run on it, but knowing apple they'dd probably want it so that windows cant be installed overtop of mac os (but there'll probably end up being ways to do it on a normal pc)

-hopefully amd processors and faster faster faster

-maybe more compatibility with non mac supported hardware

wouldnt like to see it on x86:

-the era of PPC would be gone

-this will bring mac users closer to windows..

-apple might start bringing activation (im guessing but its doubtful)

-it will need altivec optimization

theres rumors of the IBM Power4 processor being used for macs as early as a year from now.....are Power4 processors x86 or wha platform?