Which Mac should i get

20 members have voted

1. 1. Which Mac should i get

• G4 iMac
    • G4 Dual Powermac
    • other

I've been thinking ALOT for the last few weeks since im expecting to get a mac in early nov, im starting to think even more, one of my friends is telling me i should just get an imac instead of a powermac...and im thinking that i should get one or the either...which one u guyz think i should get?

productshotimac2002.jpg

G4 iMac

Processor: 700 MHZ G4

Ram: 256 MB SDRAM (might upgrade it)

Storage: 40 GB Drive

Optical Drives: Combo Drive

Video Card: GeForce2 MX

Extras: Snow Apple Pro Keyboard/mouse, 15" LCD screen, 80 GB firewire Drive *maybe*, 48x12x48 External CD-RW Drive...

Price: $2988.98 CDN

productshotpowermac.jpg

G4 Dual PowerMac

Processor: Dual 867 MHZ G4

Ram: 256 MB PC2100 DDR Ram (might upgrade it)

Storage 60 GB Drive

Optical Drives: Combo Drive

Video Card: GeForce4 MX

Extras: Graphite Apple Pro Keyboard/Mouse, possibly a 19" monitor, 40 GB internal drive, 16x DVD Rom (internal) drive

Price: $3000 CDN

which one do you think i should get? i'll probably end up making my decision when im at the computer place tho lol

I don't even consider the new PMs an option. Same basic machine as the Quicksilvers besides a few expansion/cooling differences. The new PMs perform no better than the Quicksilvers at the same processor speed.

As far as iMac vs Pmac, it depends on what you are using the computer for. Course OSX will do better on a dual processor, but are you just going to be doing internet/email? Or Photoshop stuff?

A better comparison would be between the iMac and a Quicksliver 933. The iMac and eMac is nice because they come with a monitor already. That's 300 bucks you have to add onto a PMac for a nice monitor.

Give us more info on what your intent for the computer is. A max amount your willing to spend as well.

i'll probably be using it for photoshop, vpc, basic stuff, audio stuff, and this puter'll have to last me 3-5 years lol....

i asked my dad what the max was (cuz its an early grad present) but he wasnt sure so we're going to see in november, i recommended leasing but hes like "i dont want to pay more" lol...

and i might do some expanding in the future (ie more hard drive space) so thats a pro for powermac

Originally posted by giantsnyy2002

id go for the PM G4 just because it has DDR Ram, a GF4 and the larger monitor.

oh and its dual processors

the dual processor/ddr ram/GF4 is making me want it more, cuz GF2mx is pretty old i guess...

anyone get a new dual powermac yet? and how is it for speed (867 model)

Go for the PowerMac. I had been thinking about getting an iMac for awhile, until I read some pretty horrible reviews of it, as well as it's barely upgradeable. With the PowerMac, you have a little breathing room as far as harddisks, video cards, memory etc etc go. If you have the cash, go for that one. What type of monitor are you wanting? If money is no object...get a Cinema display. So sweet...but a decent size will run you about a grand.

Well if Photoshop is the case, I'd say Quicksliver Dual 1Ghz is easily the way to go. It's cheaper and performs the same as the new PowerMac Dual gig. You have to realize that while it is ddr, the processor isn't. The processor isn't designed to work with ddr, even though the motherboard is. So you get a neutered ddr system. Which causes it's performance to be terrible for the price.

DO NOT get the new PMac. Worst money ever spent

EDIT: IF you don't like the GeForceMX2, buy the PC version of the Ati 8500. Flash it for the mac and it runs great. That's what I'm using right now. 100 dollars. Better than your GeForce4mx as well

Originally posted by AOXOMOXOA

a pc.

jusk kidding sorry i could not help it.

Well, in all seriousness, that's what I decided to do as well. For the same price as the iMac, I'm getting a pretty killer Dell P4 rig, with 17" flatpanel. If/when I have about $2k sitting around with absolutely nothing to spend it on, I might get a Mac.

im still thinking tho, its only like 10 bux diff (with extra hardware n such)...

n im used to the "get a pc", im one of those ppl who are tired of m$'s bs...and hopefully that stupid anti-music copying thing microsoft thought of doesnt affect apple...or else everyone will be buying old hardware lol

pc's are just too boring for me now days...and if i get a dual pmac (or imac with enough ram) i'll run vpc n xp so if i get lonely without windows, i'll run it just like old days...n i dont play games so it wont make a diff for me lol

im now thinking powermac again, but im still thinking lol, but DDR ram would be sweet compared to pc133 ram...

Originally posted by superfula

Well if Photoshop is the case, I'd say Quicksliver Dual 1Ghz is easily the way to go. It's cheaper and performs the same as the new PowerMac Dual gig. You have to realize that while it is ddr, the processor isn't. The processor isn't designed to work with ddr, even though the motherboard is. So you get a neutered ddr system. Which causes it's performance to be terrible for the price.

DO NOT get the new PMac. Worst money ever spent

EDIT: IF you don't like the GeForceMX2, buy the PC version of the Ati 8500. Flash it for the mac and it runs great. That's what I'm using right now. 100 dollars. Better than your GeForce4mx as well

the dual quicksilver is too expensive for me *even tho its outdated* and not on the local puter website (that sells macs)...

i heard praise for the new powermac (by ppl who got them) but there probably are alot of unhappy apple customers.....and lots of happy apple customers of course lol :s

Originally posted by Silvorgold

im now thinking powermac again, but im still thinking lol, but DDR ram would be sweet compared to pc133 ram...

Like I said, there is no difference in performance between the new dual gig and the quicksilver dual gig. DDR offers no system boost compared to pc133 the way Apple has things. DDR will run you about double the price of pc133. Prices taken from Crucial

256/512 MB DDR - $69.29/$179.99

256/512 MB PC133 - $42.29/$73.79

I haven't looked for prices on the older Quicksilvers, but I know they dropped quite a bit in price. You'd be saving a couple hundred easily.

ya i would like to get a quicksilver but the dual optical drive support is something i'dd need (for copying cd->cd) and the local computer stores sold out of quicksilvers already...there was a website that had a list of the fastest 10-25 computers as of today, and the 1.25 dual was actually listed as #3...even though it takes 2 processors to go that fast lol....

Originally posted by Silvorgold

ya i would like to get a quicksilver but the dual optical drive support is something i'dd need (for copying cd->cd) and the local computer stores sold out of quicksilvers already

If you want the second optical bay, why even consider the iMac? You can get the Quicksilvers online. Places like Macmall, macconnection, etc probably have some

They are updating the iMacs soon with GF4MX all across the board, you can copy CD to CD with one drive, I do it all the time, and you can get a refurbished iMac with a superdrive and 800Mhz if you wanted for cheaper then you quoted the new 700.

I also agree that a Quicksilver would be a better choice.

Get a Quicksilver Dual 866Mhz and get a Radeon 8500 for the Mac. :) Instead of the new DDR PMs

And if u plan to get it in november, u might want to wait for 2-3 months at the most when Apple should release their Apollo G4 that will take full advantage of the bandwidth offered by DDR SDRAM

i would get a quicksilver but as i said, i cant get one up here, n i'm not in the US, and if i order from the US there'll probably be duty and such...

i doubt there'll be any imac updates b4 mwsf for sure and i really need to take advantage of some of the hardware i currently have (ie 40 gig hard drive and dvd-rom drive) so thats why my mind is going in the dual powermac direction....i'll have to talk to ppl who own dual pm's and see if theyre satisfied with them...