[Definitive] Elders Scrolls IV: Oblivion Thread

^ME too

Gothic fan here :)

I hope this is good though, picking it up today. I am not a major RPG fan. Never have been but, Gothic 1 & 2 pulled me right in.

Gothic 3 can't come soon enough!

I saw the 12 hours Gamespot streaming (well saw 1 1/2 hours of it before decided to stop as it contains "spoilers" :D)

I've decided to buy the game (I got Morrowind last time from buying a video card, played for 5 minutes, and stopped because the graphic was already outdated lol)

So I can't compare with Morrowind, but I'll buy this game :)

The persuasion mini game is pretty cool, alot easier than hit or miss in morrowind

I've only done the lockpicking a couple times as I have alteration but from what I saw it wasn't anything too exciting, for people that don't wanna bother you can auto-attempt and let it randomly decide if you pick or not

The inventory now has tons of sorting options so its alot easier to find what you're looking for. Keys don't weigh anything now, I don't remember if they had weight in morrowind or not.

Torches now equip seperately from shields so when you don't have your shield equiped you always have a torch out, with a shield equiped your torch is out when your weapons are put away and then is replaced by a shield when you ready your weapons

Game was making me dizzy and had to stop, so I will post some nice scenery pictures I took. I had to reduce the quality of the pictures to make them smaller:

s0xxg6.jpg

s0xxms.jpg

s0xxso.jpg

s0xz48.jpg

s0xz69.jpg

s0y6th.jpg

Edited by jmole

Got my hands on a copy, like I said. Here are my thoughts:

Performance

What I'm running:

AMD Athlon XP 2800+

1GB PC2800

ATI Radeon 9800 Pro 128MB 8xAGP

I think this is a little better then minimum system requirements (just barely). Overall I think the game looks great. It took me awhile to get use to, as the colors are really dull (especially after just playing WoW). The dungeons, and towns look good and run at a decent 30fps. The outside wilderness area doesn't look that good, but it doesn't look that bad either. I can see what is meant by "a bubble" that was stated above. I think it is because there isn't a smooth transition between what is loaded and what is not. It is like a sharp cutoff that you can see and is very distracting. I'm going to attempt to tweak the .ini file to see what I get.

I'm running the game in slightly higher then the games sugested Medium Quality, and played with the settings a lot. I'll use medium quality as my reference point:

800x600 - i tried higher and found that the rate it cut fps down to be steep.

2x Anti-aliasing - much needed...i haven't tried any higher but think I will as it makes the game look a lot better.

higher quality watter

smaller textures

Average frame rate but pretty consistent. Load times are very short. Much shorter then I remember in Morrowind. I'm sure the game can look A LOT better on newer hardware, but I can play through the game and enjoy the graphics on my rig.

The Game

For the most part it has a lot of the same look and feel of Morrowind. You move a lot faster and running doesn't use up stamina (it just prevents it from regenerating). The first thing I noticed is how much bigger the text is... much easier to read then morrowind which had small fonts with a weird typeface.

I'm not to crazy with the way the humanoid NPC's look, but the mobs looks cool so far. Spell effects are really cool.

Umm..i dunno know what to say 'bout graphics, you saw the videos.

Music is really cool. Very zero-beat.

Haven't made it far enough into the story to comment about it yet.

so far so good.

yeah,

-shad

jmole, are those screenshots on medium or high settings? Which video card do you have?
High settings, Nvida 6800GT. I turned off v-sync, which gives a pretty good framerate boost.
ok i need some info please HOW on earth do i open the world map lol ive looked in the manual and cant locate any info :( YES i r stupid LOL
When you have the inventory screen open, click on the compass.

jmole, you need some AA big time....but not bad for a 6800GT....I'm really interested in comparing Oblivion for 360 to what my pc can do....But I don't want to buy it nor steal it.

jmole, you need some AA big time....
I know, it is off. I'm fooling around with the configuration file atm, it is huge.

The funniest thing was I was fooling around in the imperial city at the council chambers. I climbed two floors and fell through the hole in the roof and splattered right in the middle of the round table where all the council members were at.

For the hell of it I tried 1024x768 to see how it would play and it still looks pretty damn good.

s0z87m.jpg

yea that;s not bad at all...what's your average framerate?
At 1280x1024 with v-sync off and setting on high, just over 40. With v-sync on it is locked in around 30. I didn't check in 1024x768. If I fool around with the config file more I am sure I can do better, there is so many things in it though, half of them I have no clue what they really do.

is this game optimized for dual core processors?

Im thinking about playing it on my laptop...since my pc is a no go

pc: 6600 256mb ram

1gb 3200 ram

120gb hd

amd 3200 939

laptop:

7800go

1.86 core duo

1ghz 677mhz ram

5400 hd :(

Meh... i won't be upgrading for atleast 2 years... i upgrade (make that "dump and buy new rig" :D) once every 4 years >< And my current config is 2 years old... XP 2800+, 512 DDR, 9800pro...

i agree. especially when u cant return PC games back to stores... how annoying would it be to buy it, get super hyped and then it not working :angry:

and does any1 else have any screens they wanna share

**starts up "the most beautiful screen shot" competition** :D

Some of those screenshots look awesome for those graphics settings, so it should run fine on my pc. Just got an email from Play.com saying my order has been dispatched!

Hooray! I can play on ultra high settings :D! Amazing game, dont want to goto school >.< lol!

Whats your specs?