Just got my new MAC and I .....

Need help :

1. what mac sites do you guys go to (software, news, tweaks, etc)

2. What "must have" software do you guys use? (I checked and dl'd most of the software on the newbie guide.

3. Is there a "Remote desktop" app like the remote desktop or term services app for XP? (I tried VNC but not really working well for me.)

Anything i need to know about my new mac?

Thanks!

Originally posted by glockfan

Need help :

1. what mac sites do you guys go to (software, news, tweaks, etc)

2. What "must have" software do you guys use? (I checked and dl'd most of the software on the newbie guide.

3. Is there a "Remote desktop" app like the remote desktop or term services app for XP? (I tried VNC but not really working well for me.)

Anything i need to know about my new mac?

Thanks!

1. ResExcellence (software news, interface (icons etc) news, tweaks)

VersionTracker (software archive)

Mac OS X Hints (tweaks)

MacNN (news)

2. I think the newbie guide has most of the "must-haves"...

3. Microsoft has their own client for XP Remote Desktop Connection.

Originally posted by glockfan

How do you (on your snapperhead) get the stats of your machine? I just get the desktop and i want the rest. thanks!~

Go to SnapperHead's preferences and under html you will see the options to display different system stats.

I'd love a mac, though i need to have a PC for work purposes, and because of that, I can't sell my PC and use the money towards a mac. the price is the killing factor for me.

VPC doesn't even come close to making windows useable for everyday use. It's more for a little use here, and a little there. While it does a good job, VPC for work would never cut it. I have 1.2 gig of ram in my dual 800 PMac. I allow the full 512Meg to VPC, and it's still not even close.

Originally posted by Silvorgold

lol ever since the intro of the g4 imac and the ipod, lots of neowin members are becoming mac users...seems more like neomac now ;) lol jk

For me, it's the iBook and the PowerBook that "switched" me. I saw the those, and they just made my Dell Inspiron seem like complete shyte. I can't wait till I get my ibook...

Originally posted by azazel-

For me, it's the iBook and the PowerBook that "switched" me. I saw the those, and they just made my Dell Inspiron seem like complete shyte. I can't wait till I get my ibook...

Glad to hear you chose the iBook.:)

Originally posted by superfula

VPC doesn't even come close to making windows useable for everyday use. It's more for a little use here, and a little there. While it does a good job, VPC for work would never cut it. I have 1.2 gig of ram in my dual 800 PMac. I allow the full 512Meg to VPC, and it's still not even close.

what i was really getting at is trying to figure out what "work" is defined as for you.

in most apps, again except for extremely processor intensive ones, running win2k with the useless services disabled should run just fine. create yourself a nice and big drive image, like 7GB and give it a 512MB swap file. a little reghacking and it could be fine. i even found win2k on my iBook 600 passable for most purposes.

again, what is it exactly that you absolutely HAVE to have a pc for??