searchindexer.exe disable

WinKey + R (or open RUN from the start menu)

Type services.exe, go to the bottom, "Windows Search" and disable.

You guys that are seeing crashes in the indexer, are you running Outlook and having that be indexed?

Does the crash occur at any specific time? Like during startup/shutdown or when you do a search? Does it only happen if Outlook is running or anything like that?

When you saw the error, did you let it send a crash report?

If you can tell me more about what you're seeing I can see if it's already been fixed for beta 2 or if it will be (or if it's something we don't know about).

Thanks.

You guys that are seeing crashes in the indexer, are you running Outlook and having that be indexed?

Does the crash occur at any specific time? Like during startup/shutdown or when you do a search? Does it only happen if Outlook is running or anything like that?

When you saw the error, did you let it send a crash report?

If you can tell me more about what you're seeing I can see if it's already been fixed for beta 2 or if it will be (or if it's something we don't know about).

Thanks.

Hi!

In my case, I don't even have outlook installed. The error sort of occurs randomly ( I was unable to identify the causes for this to occur). I sent the error report to microsoft a couple of times.

It happened when I just finished installing vista, in the first boot.

It happened when I tried to open explorer windows.

When I went into indexing options, it shown that the indexer was disabled (?)

I went into services mmc and disabled Windows Search and it all went fine.

I just don't have indexing at all in vista. :(

If you need more input, please feel free to contact me at tortulho_pt[at]hotmail.com

Mine happens whenever I access files. For example, going into Computer.

Yup, same, it happens whenever I try and access a folder

yea mine crashes everytime i access anything as my computer or control panel or anything basically really and i sent in a bug report for this as well.

Also how do you disable that user account control cause it is so anoying everytime you want to access anything with it poping up and asking for permission to continue.

yea mine crashes everytime i access anything as my computer or control panel or anything basically really and i sent in a bug report for this as well.

Also how do you disable that user account control cause it is so anoying everytime you want to access anything with it poping up and asking for permission to continue.

You can fix the crashing of the Search Indexer. Go to Control Panel, Regional and Language Options, then click on the Administrative tab and change the non-Unicode language to English (United States) and reboot. You will not have anymore crashes from the Search Indexer.

The user account control can be disabled from the Control Panel, User accounts, Change Security Settings and uncheck the UAC checkbox

I wonder what happened that is causing the indexer to crash :unsure: Wonder if they added features to it and that's what's causing the problems.

Who knows...this version seems less stable than 5342

I wonder what happened that is causing the indexer to crash :unsure: Wonder if they added features to it and that's what's causing the problems.

Lots of things change in the indexer frequently. For instance, in WDS 2.6.5 for XP we rewrote a large section of the indexer, and then had to take those changes and integrate them back up to the Vista codebase. There are also frequently changes elsewhere in Windows that affect us. I believe there are also lots of ongoing changes to the APIs for adding/removing indexer paths or checking whether a path is indexed.

I don't know the specifics of this problem but I'm looking into it.

Searchindex is really useless, basically anything like windows desktop search or google desktop search. By having two 10000 raptors in raid each disk with 8mb cache, that thing finds the file so fast that index is just pointless. If you have older machine with older hard drive, then searchindex is just system consuming.

Index search should be dropped. There are better ways to do it. Guess what? A new file system.....!!!!!

I never used index search in Windows XP, and not many people ever used it cause nobody found it useful. I guess Microsoft is trying to copy a lot of things from MacOS, but i have to be honest. MacOS is a crap...

Searchindex is really useless, basically anything like windows desktop search or google desktop search. By having two 10000 raptors in raid each disk with 8mb cache, that thing finds the file so fast that index is just pointless. If you have older machine with older hard drive, then searchindex is just system consuming.

Index search should be dropped. There are better ways to do it. Guess what? A new file system.....!!!!!

You're right that a new file system might be in order. But the rest of your post (except for the older system comment) is way off the mark. Instant-search is in high demand. And there's no way that your raptors (which not everyone has) can find files that fast. The current implementation of searching in Vista is horrendous, but it should improve quickly.

You're right that a new file system might be in order. But the rest of your post (except for the older system comment) is way off the mark. Instant-search is in high demand. And there's no way that your raptors (which not everyone has) can find files that fast. The current implementation of searching in Vista is horrendous, but it should improve quickly.

My desktop machine is not a server machine with 500Gb of data i need to seach for quickly. But, again if i have 500Gb of data (audio, video files), ona bad ass raid configuration hardware based will do perfectly. We are talking here about 0.5 - 1 seconds difference, and that means nothing.

By the way, there is one big problem Microsoft overlooked with the Windows desktop search. It has a big problem with razer gaming mouse or any similar type of mouse. By the default Windows desktop search stops indexing while you use the computer which includes the use of the mouse. With the razer mouse for example, even though you don't use it constantly sends the "call it impulses" so Windows desktop search thinks that OS is in use which means it never does actual indexing.

The razer mouse is based on the new technology, plasma mouse, unlike Logitech or any other brand which are optical.

A lot people use razer, but those are mostly gamers, and gamers don't use Windows desktop search :)

Either the company has to update firmware, drivers for their mouse, or Microsoft should fix the code.

Edited by freak_power

Just following up: It looks like this has been fixed for beta 2.

WDS is extremely useful on my machine with raptors in RAID 0. I'd be lost without it, for both files and e-mail.

How is a new filesystem going to help you index data? What would be gained from bloating the filesystem with an index? And then you're limiting yourself since WDS can index any kind of data not just files. And what happens when you want to make changes to the index structure or update the schema? Require users to format their hard drives?

I never used index search in Windows XP, and not many people ever used it cause nobody found it useful. I guess Microsoft is trying to copy a lot of things from MacOS, but i have to be honest. MacOS is a crap...

Are you kidding? Indexed search is one of the most useful and powerful features in Vista. And it's not copied from MacOS - If anything, Cupertino copied that from us since we shipped it first.

My desktop machine is not a server machine with 500Gb of data i need to seach for quickly. But, again if i have 500Gb of data (audio, video files), ona bad ass raid configuration hardware based will do perfectly. We are talking here about 0.5 - 1 seconds difference, and that means nothing.

Well that's just BS so I won't even bother disputing your fake numbers there.

By the way, there is one big problem Microsoft overlooked with the Windows desktop search. It has a big problem with razer gaming mouse or any similar type of mouse. By the default Windows desktop search stops indexing while you use the computer which includes the use of the mouse. With the razer mouse for example, even though you don't use it constantly sends the "call it impulses" so Windows desktop search thinks that OS is in use which means it never does actual indexing.

The razer mouse is based on the new technology, plasma mouse, unlike Logitech or any other brand which are optical.

A lot people use razer, but those are mostly gamers, and gamers don't use Windows desktop search :)

Either the company has to update firmware, drivers for their mouse, or Microsoft should fix the code.

That's interesting feedback that I don't think I've ever heard before. Why would the Razer software be updating your cursor position when you're not moving the mouse? That won't just mess with WDS but lots of other things like power management, screensavers, etc.

Searchindexer crashes when your locale is not set to English (US)... Either set your location to US or disable the Windows Search service.

Searchindex is really useless

Actually I find indexed searches really useful and not for searching terabytes of data either. I often need to search 'inside' lots of files, like Word documents and PDFs. Copernic Desktop (the software I use in XP) can do this extremely quickly. It can also give me a preview of the document while highlighting the words I searched for... normal Windows search cannot do that.

Just following up: It looks like this has been fixed for beta 2.

WDS is extremely useful on my machine with raptors in RAID 0. I'd be lost without it, for both files and e-mail.

How is a new filesystem going to help you index data? What would be gained from bloating the filesystem with an index? And then you're limiting yourself since WDS can index any kind of data not just files. And what happens when you want to make changes to the index structure or update the schema? Require users to format their hard drives?

Are you kidding? Indexed search is one of the most useful and powerful features in Vista. And it's not copied from MacOS - If anything, Cupertino copied that from us since we shipped it first.

Well that's just BS so I won't even bother disputing your fake numbers there.

That's interesting feedback that I don't think I've ever heard before. Why would the Razer software be updating your cursor position when you're not moving the mouse? That won't just mess with WDS but lots of other things like power management, screensavers, etc.

The reason why so many people are lost with both files and emails is due bad directory/file management in Windows. I have 400Gb storage place on my server and i know where is the every file etc stored, and really don't need index search to find it. Having said that i barely use the regular search to find something. In order to fix directory structure in the windows i had to reorganize everything, manually and by using permissions. The problem is that system lets you save your files at any place you want, where overtime you get a such mess where i guess only index search can help you out to find the files you're looking for having the fact the station is used by multiple users. It's not hard to limit the actual user to save the files only into the my documents (whatever is called) folder which should be organized in such a way where the files with certain extension can go into certain folder. The directory structure and file organization didn't change since Windows 3.11 and Vista continues to use the same principles. :no:

And as a negative effect you have a problem of searching. Why would you need windows desktop search to search for file with extension, let's say *.doc if system saves those files under my documents and settings only in the system specified folder (call it wordDocs). System would know where to search for *.doc file which resides in one location namely directory and its subdirectories, safely can ignore rest of the XXXX folders on the hard drive. As a result you can really quickly find the file without using the indexing.

Also windows directory should not be visible to users, only to Administrator, as well as registry etc but that's part of security problem.

Windows Desktop search spends certain amount of time by doing indexing. And it's doing so often. The total amount i would spend to search for the files without using the windows desktop search is less then what windows desktop search spends by doing indexing meaning there is no real benefit, just different timing management which of course could be essential.

Razer software doesn't change the cursor position, but form some reason OS thinks that the mouse is active, so windows desktop search never starts because it thinks that the computer is in the use. I don't think it's Razer software problem, because i tried it using only Windows XP Generic Mouse driver. Maybe, it's just the way mouse works and OS doesn't handle it well. My screensaver and power management is disabled.

I tested razer mouse on two different machines, and symptoms were same. Windows Desktop Search never started indexing, even when i click Index now. After i click index now, it starts doing it for like 2-3 seconds and then stops. I switched the mouse to optical, and problem was solved. Of course I like my razer mouse more then windows desktop search:)

Edited by freak_power

Searchindexer crashes when your locale is not set to English (US)... Either set your location to US or disable the Windows Search service.

Thanks for that, mine is crashing every few seconds.