Need ideas for the top area of Shift

At the moment we have this on the test site

post-2-1147009477_thumb.jpg

The blue area was intended for Recent news feeds, but our coder Timan says this causes the news to scroll down too far, personally I don't like the 2 areas that much and I agree with everyone that the red doesn't seem to fit in the page.

Davelegg coded it so they both collapse, like so:

post-2-1147009583_thumb.jpg

Which is remembered, its kind of a trade-off for people uninterested in what we have there.

So, what am I hoping to achieve with this post :p I would like to see some feedback on how to complete the top area so we can finally move over to this new design.

Comments are welcome, hopefully people will have some decent ideas and mock-ups to help us out here.

Well the first question must be asked:

1. Why have two announcements area?

Secondly, I think I speak for a large portion of Neowin when I say I'd rather see news category headlines there instead of announcements that almost never get updated to anything all that important.

ok I think I got it, after a bit of brainstorming. This is a basic idea of what i mean. The links could be graphics and the right side will need some work so it doesnt appear empty.

post-2-1147011157_thumb.jpg

Thoughts?

I think Neobond's new design looks great. It has all the things we use currently rolled into one neat little box.

I've always liked tabs.

Heres my idea:

post-26642-1147014176_thumb.jpg

I love that idea! Just have recent topis for each section there or recent news.

And the red doesnt fit? wtf who said that. the blue looks too bland

Personally I like the scroll over text area that switches to news sections.....when you scroll over it.

One more from me.

post-26642-1147030290_thumb.jpg

Excellent! 'cept have the tab text left-aligned like the recent 'tab' is.

But, don't you think that's a bit too much room for the headings? Unless you want to add an excerpt beside

Topic Title - excerpt text from topic

I like Neobond's design too. (attachmentid=157825)

ok I think I got it, after a bit of brainstorming. This is a basic idea of what i mean. The links could be graphics and the right side will need some work so it doesnt appear empty.

Thoughts?

Best idea I think :)

Thoughts?

I like it. The idea is simple and I assume those links are rollover links to change the feed right? The only suggestion I have is that it's a little bland compared to the rest of the page. But I also know it's just a concept idea for right now. I think it would work out PERFECTLY.

One more from me.

post-26642-1147030290_thumb.jpg

I love this idea too. It's simple and clean. The only problem I see is that there are now just too many "tabs". There are tabs on the top of the main window then there are tabs below that. It just seems like there is too many tabs :(. It's beautiful though and would be VERY easy to use.

I like it. The idea is simple and I assume those links are rollover links to change the feed right? The only suggestion I have is that it's a little bland compared to the rest of the page. But I also know it's just a concept idea for right now. I think it would work out PERFECTLY.

I love this idea too. It's simple and clean. The only problem I see is that there are now just too many "tabs". There are tabs on the top of the main window then there are tabs below that. It just seems like there is too many tabs :(. It's beautiful though and would be VERY easy to use.

My thoughts exactly.

We won't be having tab (at least, not in the current plan) I'm half way through coding the thing at the moment, and it will follow basically what Neobond has posted, but i'm probably going to be adding some images as well so it doesn't look so bland.

hmmm, I'm not a fan of the tabs... the rollover things look like a better idea... I like the last one Neobond posted. (Y)

Thoughts?

I like that plan. I'd like to be able to set a default that's remembered per user for startup. Also when you hover over say recent forum posts i'd like the information that pops up to fill the WHOLE of that announcements area.

It would be nice if the user would also be able to choose the colour scheme for that new area as well as the colour scheme for the main page. :)

Edited by SnoopZ

Here's my idea - which IMHO would be the best solution for this, I think everything is in the picture itself - should be self explanatory as well.

Hope you guys like it.

edit; forgot to mention I downsized the whole from 10 forum posts to 8, somewhat better if you ask me.

post-30611-1147038689_thumb.jpg

^ Really like that idea. Looks very nice and clean and not too overclutted. The tab idea would be nice if there weren't many tabs in the front page, if not the tabs would be overused ;)

I like that plan. I'd like to be able to set a default that's remembered per user for startup.

Current method is: hover to view section, click to set it as default.

I think we need the Recent Forum Posts section FAR bigger than it is now so we don't have to hover over it to try and see what each recent post says.

I love that idea! Just have recent topis for each section there or recent news.

And the red doesnt fit? wtf who said that. the blue looks too bland

I think it looks nice, but if you could make it in a shade of green instead of blue it will look better, becuase there's like a blue overkill in the site

I know it's not the issue at hand but I would really like the news tabs on the frontpage if they were also rollover instead of click and wait.