iPod Formatting Question

thank God, that was getting crazy, (yes it does, no it doesn't, YES it does, NO it doesn't...) iPods are versatile, and which ever one you get, there should be or will be some way to get it to do whatever you want it to do. There are so many features hidden in the hardware & software that just haven't been activated yet, just wait. :bandit:

Rivak is right you just need the software. The windows software isn't available from apple's website so, so apple is merely saying that since without an Ipod for windows you shouldn't have the software, you shouldn't be able to format(restore) to a windows version. Good choice on the windows version because at least you get the crappy musicmatch plugin. Yeah I have an Ipod for windows as well. Awesome little toy but be prepared to be annoyed with musicmatch.

Good thing is like they said if you do switch you can format it to a mac ipod, and itunes is free so now you have the software for both platforms.

Originally posted by mAcOdIn

Awesome little toy but be prepared to be annoyed with musicmatch.

You can use EphPod (or XPlay, etc.) with the Windows version of the iPod. I like it a lot better than MusicMatch.

does mediafour give demos or trials of their product
I can't seem to find a demo of XPlay on their site..
how do the iPod PC users get firmware updates?
There is an included Updater. When there is an update, you will be able to download it from Apple.

Originally posted by Rivak

I can't seem to find a demo of XPlay on their site..

I guess I'm just going to have to get it and try it by a different means :paranoid: :p

I'm downloading and trying EphPod out right now.

Let me tell you how it works.

As an Apple technican this is what I'm told to support, and not support...

1. iPod for Windows can be converted to iPod for Mac and will be supported.

2. iPod for Mac cannot be converted to iPod for Windows using the Apple software.

This means that if you have iPod for windows and call me for help, I'll help you no matter what the formatting on the iPod is. HOWEVER... Once you format your iPod to HSF+ it will not work on the PC ever again if you only use the apple software.

Read my words carefully, I said that it cannot be done with Apple software, this dosent make it impossible. There very well may be a way to format the iPod back to PC again, but not with Apple software. My suspision is that you can get you iMac formatted back for a PC again, but if you call me up for help I'm not goint to help you do it. Also, if you iPod is not listed as an iPod for Windows, I will never help you with it on a windows computer. however, if your iPod is listed as an iPod for Windows, you converted to a Mac, used it there for a bit and then converted it back to being formatted for fat32, I may help you since I would never have known that you formatted it at one time for use with a Mac; unless you're stupid enough to tell me that you did that, in which case I may poke fun at you...

You know who you are, you people always calling me up expecting help and support when you know very well that you're out of your support period, and then you get all mad because you waited on hold for 5 minutes only for me to tell you that I'm not goingto help you. IF YOU KNOW THAT YOUR QUESTIONS GOES BEYOND MY SCOPE OF SUPPORT, DON'T CALL!!!

Originally posted by artificiallife

well then, I guess I made the right decision :) ...thanks for all the info...btw, what's the discount for apple employees?

they get it on last generation equipment

no.... I can get a discount on current Apple Products... but it's really small since I'm at the bottom of the Apple chain. I think it's about $150 USD on a "17 iMac...

I'm not %100 sure, but it's not big enough to make me want to buy one.

Anyone know a good case for the iPod?...I heard that the case that comes with it doesn't really do anything. I have already seen the ones at XtremeMac but does anyone know another good cases?

• 2 weeks later...