Microsoft Outlook 2000/2003 Startup Error

Hey all,

I've recently tried to access Microsoft Outlook 2000 to check my emails, when I encountered a small hitch - it wouldn't start. What would happen is, Outlook would come up in the taskbar, but nowhere else, and afterwards, my PC would run EXTREMELY slowly - checking taskman showed me this was because outlook.exe was taking up 99% of the CPU. All the time. Ending the process actually ended outlook.exe with no complaints, but Outlook still wasn't running. I tried a virus scan, adware scan, scandisk, a restart, updating XP (Fully updated XP box, now), reinstalling the office suite - nothing worked, and I was always presented with this error.

The next day, I upgraded to a 60 day free trial of Microsoft Office 2003 using a link on their site. Loading outlook is still a problem - it crashes on the splash screen, and the error report mentions a file xxxxxxx.cvr (the x's are random numbers - they change each time the application is launched). Opening this file in notepad gives a few lines of gobbledegook. I googled the .cvr ending, and it seems to be associated with various fax applications. Needless to say, I have never used outlook for fax, or even thought about using fax on this machine.

The error also now gives the opportunity to start Outlook 2003 in safe mode. I tried this, and outlook eventually launched, allowing me to perform a send and receive of my emails. In the process of booting, though, it requests a server, port, username and password for the Microsoft LDAP Server.

Any thoughts/suggestions? I just want to 'fix' Outlook (if it isn't inherently flawed), so that I can launch it and check my emails.

Thanks.

I am not sure if this will help, but the first thing I would do is uninstall office (Including Outlook: Also make a backup of your PST File!) completely, do a reg clean and an old file cleanup using CCleaner

After you reinstall office make sure the latest Service Packs for the version of MS Office are applied and then go to the MS site that should help with this problem! There will be a few things that may not relevant if for example you are running Windows XP SP2. Like the windows installer etc!