Getting my first bike soon (I'm 17)........

So yeah i'm 17 and live in the UK and i'm gonna get a bike instead of a car.....and i'm in need of advice

1) What's the max engine Size i can get @ this age?

2) What bike would you recommend to get as my first (remember i'm 17 so i do care about how it looks ;) )

3) At what age can i get a bigger Engine :)?

Hey, im looking to buy a bike this summer, im in the UK and im 17, so im in the same position as you.

Well this is how it goes

1) you can drive 125cc at 17 if you take the CBT (1 day training and test, and youre off.)

BUT if you take the full licence (5 days of training + test), you can drive anything up to 33BHP, ie some 250cc as well

2)Typical learner bikes:

Honda CBR 125

Yamaha TW 125 and DTR 125

Hyosung Comet 125 and Karion 125 (if you take the full licence, the exciting Hyosung Comet 250)

(these are the bikes i think look good, so personal opinion really)

3) at 21, once you have your full licence, you have no more restrictions.

Happy now?

and start saving up, insurance is a bitch in the first year.

haha that sucks. at 21??? damn... i'm 19 and i can get a hayabusa if i wanted to.

i'm actually getting a bike soon too... a honda cbr600 f4i. hopefully.

You can actually get technically any size engine, the limit is on power output, so, you can buy a bigger engined bike and have it restricted.

To gain a full standard category A licence you must successfully complete CBT and pass a theory test followed by a practical test on a motorcycle of over 120cc but not larger than 125cc and capable of at least 100kph. In practice the normal test vehicle will be a 125cc machine. A full standard category A licence permits you ride any motorcycle with a power output of up to 25kW (33bhp) and a power-to-weight ratio not exceeding 0.16kW/kg without `L' plates, carry pillion passengers and use motorways. You are restricted to a motorcycle up to 25kW for two years (not counting any periods of disqualification). After two years you may ride any size motorcycle.

if ur gonna get a 125 then get a cagiva mito. By far it is the sexiest 125 around as it looks lieka ducati 916, and it is also the fastest 125 around. However they are said to be not as reliable as the aprilia rs 125's. I plan on getting a cagiva mito soon but first a car :( or i might just wait and get a 999 or summink when im 21 :p

You can actually get technically any size engine, the limit is on power output, so, you can buy a bigger engined bike and have it restricted.

The power output limit is based on the bike manufacturer's specifications, so an after-market modification to reduce the output isn't allowed.

So yeah i'm 17 and live in the UK and i'm gonna get a bike instead of a car.....and i'm in need of advice

1) What's the max engine Size i can get @ this age?

2) What bike would you recommend to get as my first (remember i'm 17 so i do care about how it looks ;) )

3) At what age can i get a bigger Engine :)?

Does it rain alot where you live? If so, here's my advice:

Get a car first.

And if it doesn't rain alot where you live, here's my advice:

Get a car first.

The power output limit is based on the bike manufacturer's specifications, so an after-market modification to reduce the output isn't allowed.

Sorry, that's incorrect. You can get a bike with a restrictor. I know several people riding restricted Triumphs and Ducatis who have just passed their test

Category A - Standard Motorcycle Licence - (aka A2) - this is what you'll obtain if you pass your test on a motorcycle over 120cc but not over 125cc and is capable of more than 100 kph (62.5mph). With this licence you are entitled to ride a motorcycle up to 25kW (33 bhp) and a power to weight ratio not exceeding 0.16kw/kg.

There is no restriction on engine size (cc) so you can now ride a bike bigger than a 125cc. There are plenty of bikes around in the 125cc to 400cc range that produce no more than 25kW (33bhp) - ask your local dealer. You can ride a bike with a power output over 25kW but you'll need a restrictor kit on it to restrict the power output to 25kW. Any good motorcycle mechanic will fit a restrictor for you and give you the necessary documentation. Your insurance will cost more though because insurance companies tend to disregard restrictors.

So does this mean that you're going to have to buy a 14.6bhp, 125cc bike to learn and practice and take your test on then sell it and buy a 33bhp, bigger than 125cc bike after passing the test to take full advantage of what you're allowed to ride? Well, some do and some don't. What most people do (the under 21 year olds usually) is one of the following two options:

1. Do the CBT, buy a 14.6bhp, 125cc bike and get a bit of practice on the road with L plates, then go back to the training centre to do some pre-test training which is not compulsory but most advisable. Then they take and pass (hopefully) the tests and sell or trade in their 125cc, 14.6 bhp bike and get a 400cc (or any size they want), 33bhp bike or over 33bhp and have a restrictor kit put on it for about ?150. After 2 years they can ride a bike over 33bhp.

2. They skip the practising on the roads with L plates bit. They just do CBT, pre-test training and test within a couple of weeks all on the training centre's bike. Then, if they pass the test first time, they buy a 400cc (or any size) bike up to 33bhp or over 33bhp and have a restrictor kit put on it. Most under 21s choose a 400cc rather than a 600cc or more as the insurance is much lower.

After two years you may ride any size and power of motorcycle without taking another test.

If you're 21 or over or, if you reach 21 within the 2 year period there are quicker ways of obtaining entitlement to ride a more powerful bike: The Direct Access Scheme (DAS) and the Accelerated Access Scheme (AAS).

If you pass your practical test on an automatic motorcycle, your licence will be restricted to automatic bikes only.

Fair enough Pilsbury, I was told by direct contact with an advisor from the DVLA that the manufacturer's specifications were the guidelines to be used whether restricted or not. This was when I was finding out about riding a Moped, and I was told buying a restricted moped to meet the power output and speed guidelines was illegal. If it's not the same for larger motorbikes, then so be it :)