Is DVI alot better than VGA?

Hey Guys,

I just got a new 19" LCD Monitor and I was thinking about going to DVI (My video card is compatible) but the cable is $40-$60 so I want to know if it blows VGA out of the water or if its barely noticable. I don't watch many movies and I only really play games on it. Is it worth the price?

hey....another thread on this. Well, it makes a difference, but you may not notice as much with a 19" monitor. Now if you had something larger and perhaps widescreen then do DVI.

What I've heard is anything 19" or lower - no difference, unless yours runs at some abnormally high resolution ("normal" is 1280x1024). For anything bigger you definitely want DVI.

Yes and here's why. Just today, I got a 19" LCD at my workstation. I hook it up via VGA (my only option) and set the output to the monitors's native resolution. You'd think it's fine wouldn't you, but no. The display is out of wack. Pixels blead into each other giving a fuzzy image. Even with the auto-adjustment, there's still bleeding. I fine tune the pixel clock, and it's better, but it still bleeds. The same thing with my 24" at home. Sometime it bleeds, sometimes it thinks I'm running at 1600x1200 when I'm actually at 1920x1200. Now none of this would happen if you use DVI since you're getting a digital signal which explicitly states the value at each pixel rather than some wierd approximation.

well, on my 17" at least I feel there is a difference. Mostly just in sharpness though. I think the biggest benefit however was that I don't have to keep readjusting my monitor, that just got a little annoying. It might not be a problem on yours though. as far as the DVI cable goes, you can get them a lot cheaper than $40, I think you can get them for under $20 on newegg. Anyways, just my two cents.

Hy, if you want to go DVI and want a cheap cable go here and check out their prices. At 19", the difference may not be significant, but those cable prices aren't too bad so it might be worth it to you to try it.

Yes it makes a difference and I tried both on my 19" ViewSonic, you'll never regret getting the cable :)

How can you change the cable? Isn't the cable already attached to the monitor?

Hm, usually it isn't. Some monitors have some cover over the plugs and the plugs have screws to hold them in place. Also, it's not only about the cable, you need a DVI port for a DVI cable.

Yeah, I noticed that and I edited my post, but apparently my interenet was lagging and it didn't save the post.

Anyway, we need a DVI port in the monitor, not just the gfx card, right?

Its better because each pixel on DVI is outputted individually for maximum clarity whereas VGA, one pixel color affects the ones around it.

So let me get this straight, if you have a 19" LCD monitor with a VGA cable, you can replace it with a DVI cable?

I haven't noticed any difference in DVI vs VGA on 19" or smaller monitors on numerous displays at retail locations. VGA connections are perfectly sharp with no bleed noticable on 17 inch IBM monitors and 19 inch Samsung monitors. I'd blame a crappy monitor or a bad VGA cable rather than an amazing difference in DVI. Anyway, it seems obvious from this thread that YMMV. I use VGA as the cable comes with the monitor, and it's more than useable for me, so no reason to waste money on a different one.

So let me get this straight, if you have a 19" LCD monitor with a VGA cable, you can replace it with a DVI cable?

Only if both your video card and the monitor support DVI. If theres one without the other - theres no point in doing it.

And yes, there is a noticable difference bewteen DVI and VGA very much so. Cables do not cost however much you are suggesting - you can get them for ?2.50 from eBay.

Its well worth it. But for gods sake don't go spending $60 on a stupid cable. Its ridiculous.

Look.

http://cgi.ebay.com/DVI-D-digital-monitor-...1QQcmdZViewItem

^^Yeah, I get that part. I think I am confused. I just woke up so forgive my ignorance. LOL. Now I wont be able to change out a VGA cable with a DVI cable. Like this monitor wont be able to use DVI correct?

http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetai...ductCode=239053

I dont think so since it says "Signal Connectors: VGA".

Got my answer Max, thanks!

Edited by C-Squarez