Lactic acid is actually muscle fuel

I dont know if you guys have already seen this, I did a search and didnt find anything so I thought I would post it. :D

Well contrary to popular belief lactic acid is not actually what makes your muscles tire and give out. I was really shocked when I read this.

Clicky

Sweet! Whos that person in ur sig and ava?

Its Anna Popplewell. If you have seen Chronicles of Narnia:The Lion, the witch and the wardrobe than you would know her as Susan.

I was thinking this the other day, I bit the bullet and had a workout while my muscles were still sore from a couple days earlier, and voila, the pain dissappeared! I was wondering whether it was the lactic acid causing the discomfort and that working one somehow burnt it away.

So will knowledge of this have any advantages?

Yes this will have detromental impact on the way elite athletes will train. It will also make manufacturers of garments whic supress the buildup of lactic change there designs and will make people re-think about they way they train and how hard they train.

This is basic biological knowledge, nothing new.

Wtf madnuke. :pinch:

Basic biological knowledge was that lactic acid was what made your muscles tire and give out when excising for long periods of time. Now we have discovered is actually a source of energy for our muscles but is harder to turn into energy compared to other things.

Lactate disolves into the blood which increases the pH in the blood to rise, the lactate travels to the liver where it is converted to pyruvate and then to glucose where it goes in the blood back to the muscle for anerobic respiration.

Wtf madnuke. :pinch:

Basic biological knowledge was that lactic acid was what made your muscles tire and give out when excising for long periods of time. Now we have discovered is actually a source of energy for our muscles but is harder to turn into energy compared to other things.

sorry mate.... i beg 2 differ

my textbook clearly states that lactic acid is produced from anaerobic respiration and still contains large amounts of energy.....

this is onli when u cant get enuf oxygen 2 keep up wif ur muscle activity....afterwards, there's this thing called the oxygen debt which is the amount of oxygen u need 2 breath in (thus the heavy breathing after exercise) 2 recycle that lactic acid and make it available 2 form energy next time

EDIT: wat i was trying 2 say is that this "discovery" isnt exactly new

sorry mate.... i beg 2 differ

my textbook clearly states that lactic acid is produced from anaerobic respiration and still contains large amounts of energy.....

this is onli when u cant get enuf oxygen 2 keep up wif ur muscle activity....afterwards, there's this thing called the oxygen debt which is the amount of oxygen u need 2 breath in (thus the heavy breathing after exercise) 2 recycle that lactic acid and make it available 2 form energy next time

EDIT: wat i was trying 2 say is that this "discovery" isnt exactly new

Thanks for the support, ;)

Lactate disolves into the blood which increases the pH in the blood to rise, the lactate travels to the liver where it is converted to pyruvate and then to glucose where it goes in the blood back to the muscle for anerobic respiration.

Lactic Acid in the blood wouldnt cause the blood pH to RISE, it would cause it to lower. pOH, now thats another story ;)

Biologically, your body's very best source of energy is fat. Glucose (stored as muscle glycogen) is primarily used in our "fight or flight" response, and as a quick start energy source, however, the amount of it present is miniscule compared with fatty acids. Ultimately glucose is just "kindling" for the real fuel... fats. However, your body will ONLY burn fat in the presence of oxygen, so if you are weight training, you are not burning fat during the exercise, only during the metabolic effect you receive after you are done training. When you begin exercise, your body taps into the glycogen supply and begins the metabolic process, and only then will it switch over and burn fat at the same time, again provided the exercise is not anaerobic. Any energy that lactic acid could produce would still be minimal compared to fats and glucose which are primary energy sources.

This is why any exercise program should involve a combination of both aerobic and anaerobic activities, to allow for benefits across the board, both with muscle building and weight loss.

Biologically, your body's very best source of energy is fat. Glucose (stored as muscle glycogen) is primarily used in our "fight or flight" response, and as a quick start energy source, however, the amount of it present is miniscule compared with fatty acids. Ultimately glucose is just "kindling" for the real fuel... fats. However, your body will ONLY burn fat in the presence of oxygen, so if you are weight training, you are not burning fat during the exercise, only during the metabolic effect you receive after you are done training. When you begin exercise, your body taps into the glycogen supply and begins the metabolic process, and only then will it switch over and burn fat at the same time, again provided the exercise is not anaerobic. Any energy that lactic acid could produce would still be minimal compared to fats and glucose which are primary energy sources.

This is why any exercise program should involve a combination of both aerobic and anaerobic activities, to allow for benefits across the board, both with muscle building and weight loss.

The point of your post was.........

This isnt about fat, its about Lactic Acid if you didnt realise

The point of your post was.........

This isnt about fat, its about Lactic Acid if you didnt realise

My point is, regardless of what amount of energy lactic acid can produce, ultimately it is minimal compared to fats and sugars, and is not a regular source for our metabolic system. Therefore, people should not spend so much time focusing on whether or not they have or do not have any lactic acid when they exercise, but instead focus on a) the exercising and how it makes them feel (which isn't that the whole point?) and b) fueling their body with proper sources of energy, not "relying" on lactic acid effects, which again, are ultimately minimal.

The press is sometimes wrong.

How would we make a mistake about our own respiring system while we are cloning animals... O_o ?

Lactic Acid is the product of anaerobic-respiration in the body. Wouldn't this be a little bigger news if it was a factual finding?

My point is, regardless of what amount of energy lactic acid can produce, ultimately it is minimal compared to fats and sugars, and is not a regular source for our metabolic system. Therefore, people should not spend so much time focusing on whether or not they have or do not have any lactic acid when they exercise, but instead focus on a) the exercising and how it makes them feel (which isn't that the whole point?) and b) fueling their body with proper sources of energy, not "relying" on lactic acid effects, which again, are ultimately minimal.

Ok let me rephrase. The point of taking this topic completely off topic is.......

OK look... I always knew that lactic acid is what causes muscle pain and that does not mean that its bad for your body

But it is also known that when you suffer muscle pain and feel very tense after hard workout the only solution is more work, resting (for more than 2 days) is the worst thing to do.

Lactic acid being great fuel does not change the fact that it causes great pain after the first intense workout.

if I'm not mistaken , lactic acid is actually easy for the body to process as opposed to fat which takes long time