iBook Owners..

I have the new iBook 600 Revision 2 running 10.2.1 and the fan hardly ever comes on. She'll get warm if I'm coding away for extended periods of time...like 3+ hours, but nothing I would call "hot."

jesse ;-)

I have a 700 12" combo drive running 10.2.1 .

the only time it gets hot is when i'm running it off of the AC plug and it's sitting on something. then it gets really hot to the point were it hard to keep it on my lap for too long.

Kinda as an add-on to this; I'm getting an iBook soon...within the next month or so, as soon as my bonus gets here. I *really* like the way they look and I'm all about portability, but would it really be a good choice for a first time Mac owner? I'm just wondering because they are the only current product still with the G3 proc. Is it fast enough, or do some of you have complaints about it? Would I be better off getting a 17" iMac for starters? Either way I'm looking at spending around $2200-2500 for whichever I get, because I'm gonna get a low-end iPod with it as well. But any suggestions or opinions would be really appreciated. As it stands right now, I've messed around with Macs for a grand total of about two hours or so, and I really like what I see, and I've been reading tons about them, both online and actual magazines like Mac Addict. Anyways, just lemme know what you guys think. And thanks in advance.

Originally posted by azazel-

Kinda as an add-on to this; I'm getting an iBook soon...within the next month or so, as soon as my bonus gets here. I *really* like the way they look and I'm all about portability, but would it really be a good choice for a first time Mac owner? I'm just wondering because they are the only current product still with the G3 proc. Is it fast enough, or do some of you have complaints about it? Would I be better off getting a 17" iMac for starters? Either way I'm looking at spending around $2200-2500 for whichever I get, because I'm gonna get a low-end iPod with it as well. But any suggestions or opinions would be really appreciated. As it stands right now, I've messed around with Macs for a grand total of about two hours or so, and I really like what I see, and I've been reading tons about them, both online and actual magazines like Mac Addict. Anyways, just lemme know what you guys think. And thanks in advance.

Unless you are seriously wanting a laptop why don't you go for a powermac from smalldog? It's within your price range and you could just use the monitor that you are using now. Not only that but you would have tonnes of room for adding adding additional hard drives and upgrading it as time goes on.

Eh...I'm kinda partial to laptops. But I eventually do want to get a desktop again. I was thinking about getting a cube off of ebay and dropping a 1ghz upgrade into it, but that'd just start me into the upgrade cycle again...which I'm trying to avoid.