which mac should i get?

21 members have voted

1. 1. which mac should i get?

• G4 imac
    • G4 emac

i wont be getting a powermac anymore (cuz its just a lil too much :() even though i wanted to take advantage of my 40 gig drive for a powermac....

which should i get, a superdrive emac (since it has a 17" screen) or a medium end imac?

how well are the imacs for things such as games and photoshop/vpc?

and should i get a gig of ram as soon as i get it? and sooner or later get a firewire drive?

thanx

definitely iMac. i just don't like eMac. anyway, what do u mean by medium end iMac? u mean the 15"? i'd suggest 17" coz that's a hell lot of difference!

i'm about to buy a mac as well. but 800mhz Powerbook seems a bit slow.. any info about when will 1Ghz or 1.25Ghz Powerbook be coming out?

Originally posted by aaron901

definitely iMac. i just don't like eMac. anyway, what do u mean by medium end iMac? u mean the 15"? i'd suggest 17" coz that's a hell lot of difference!

i'm about to buy a mac as well. but 800mhz Powerbook seems a bit slow.. any info about when will 1Ghz or 1.25Ghz Powerbook be coming out?

when i say medium end imac, i mean like the 2 imacs with the speakers, the 17" is wayyyy too expensive :(, if was allowed 3 grand to spend on a computer i'dd be getting the powermac then :(

theres rumors of new powerbooks coming out sometime this month, but i doubt thats gonna happen, just wait and see what happens at MWSF, unless apple releases new powerbooks after mwsf (like they did after mwny for the powermac), i'dd like to see 1 ghz and 1.25 ghz powerbooks but it sounds like it wont b happening soon :( but hopefully it will and good luck if you get one

Trust me, the 800mhz Powerbook is a lot things, but certainly not slow. Some say they are faster than the iMacs. However, there is a tingle in the air that the Powerbooks will be getting a boost soon. Whether it is next week or in January is anyone's guess.

I'd get the emac. The imac does look cooler but im personally not a huge fan of LCD's or the price that they hold.

Also, get the least amount of ram that you can because they overcharge for that stuff... you can get a ton of ram for cheap afterward and install it.

Emac all the way!

hmm if that's the case, get the 800mhz eMac with SuperDrive then. ah, with the sweet stand! :)

the emac seems to be slower than the imac but i want an lcd mac, but a combo drive (and 60 gig drive) at the same time :(

40 gigs wont last that long probably :s...if i end up getting highspeed

Originally posted by GatorZx2

Trust me, the 800mhz Powerbook is a lot things, but certainly not slow. Some say they are faster than the iMacs. However, there is a tingle in the air that the Powerbooks will be getting a boost soon. Whether it is next week or in January is anyone's guess.

i just have the feeling that they'll release 1Ghz or 1.25Ghz Powerbook soon, hopefully before christmas! i think i better hold off and wait a little while. :)

i just have the feeling that they'll release 1Ghz or 1.25Ghz Powerbook soon, hopefully before christmas! i think i better hold off and wait a little while. :)

Good idea, it never hurts to wait if you can.

I would say your best bet is to go to the apple store and see if they have any close out quicksilvers... I cant stand the eMac, and the only iMac worth getting is the 17" (that screen is very badass- like a mini cinama display...) I am sure you can get a closeout 800Mhz G4 quicksilver combo drive and 17" LCD (perhaps not apple) for less than 1500$

edit- after looking around, I forgot Apple's don't loose value... you would have to spend 1500$ on just the tower :( I would suggest the iMac, I still cant stand the look of the eMac... performance wise, they are about the same, where as the 17" iMac definatly overtakes them all (web browsing anyways)... we currently have 1 800mhz eMac 1 15" 700mhz iMac, and 1 800mhz 17" iMac... (and some others.... :) )

ya if i could find a local deal for a quicksilver...i'dd jump on it as soon as idd see it :(

if only i could get something worth as much as a 17" imac, then i could get a 867 powermac instead with monitor...but we'll just have to wait n see what happens

i was just looking at the imac specs page and it has Mini-VGA port, would a vga monitor be able to hook up to it with a connector or something? and if so, how would i get a mini vga connector since i dont think ive heard of such a thing

[edit] found it...i should do some more looking (near the bottom of the page)

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebO...rnMore=M8639G/A

would a normal vga monitor work fine with it (just like having dual monitors on a powermac)?

[another edit] i noticed bout half an hr ago that the low end emac has a combo drive...always thought it was cd-rw drive, i MIGHT get that i guess, since then i could get a 10 gig ipod, a printer, and up to a gig of ram

whatever you do, make sure you buy through some form of reseller to get some extra RAM in yours. I'm hurting for about an extra 512MB right now (has 256mb :s ), and now have to o out and speend $100 on a 512mb SODIMM :)

Originally posted by timdorr

whatever you do, make sure you buy through some form of reseller to get some extra RAM in yours. I'm hurting for about an extra 512MB right now (has 256mb :s ), and now have to o out and speend $100 on a 512mb SODIMM :)

yep, thats the main thing im getting first as soon as i get the mac, then stuff like printer n etc comes later...ouch only 256 megs of ram :(, how well does an emac/imac run with about half a gig of ram on vpc (if anyone knows)

if i get a low end emac:

emac: $1699 CDN

10 gig ipod: $477 CDN (or so)

printer: about $100

ram: about 100-200 dollars

=approx $2500 CDN (without tax)

Originally posted by Rudy

i'd say get a sweet PC, for 2500, you'll have an awesome PC way better than that mac.......

You've been on this board for a while now. So you SHOULD know not to troll, not to spam, and to post something that actually deals with the topic. But apparently you haven't learned much since being here, troll.

On to the topic. My parents are in the market for a new computer soon. Course they value my opinion over any other. I suggested getting a Mac, since one could be had for a mere 1000. They want me to bring the PM home so they can try OSX out. I'm thinking either get them the eMac or iMac if they go for the Mac. Leaning toward the 15" iMac, so that's what I think you should get.

ya for features idd go for an imac but if i get an imac i'dd probably have to get the cd-rw model but i need a computer with dvd-rom also so the emac would be good...lets just wait n see wha happens :(

how well does an emac/imac run with about half a gig of ram on vpc (if anyone knows)

well my boss has it running quite well on DP 1.25Ghz with 1GB ram. Of course with only 512MB ram it wasnt as fast.. (still no games, NFSPU is still unplayable fps ~3-5)

holy crap! just found a LEGIT way yo get a 17" iMac for $1698. One sec, gonna post a new thread about this, I think you'll like it :D

niiiiiice....if only i was ordering a mac from the apple store website...

i was looking at a macwarehouse catalog today and saw there was a special for an imac,so hopefully i'll try getting a mac from there maybe in a month, i might b able to get an imac now tho :D...hopefully (the 800 mhz model)...but thats still a month away

sorry for my mind switching all the time but since hopefully macwarehouse will have a deal for an imac then like they usually do...

ok question time again:

1)is the superdrive burning (cd-r) speed wayyyyyy too slow as i hear

2)how well do dvds play on a superdrive 15" imac (as in does it lag? etc)

3)do all the imacs (excl 17") include jag pre-installed? probably does but just making sure

Originally posted by Silvorgold

niiiiiice....if only i was ordering a mac from the apple store website...

dude, it's probably WELL worth it to get it from the apple website. That's even considering the 256mb of ram and printer if you're getting that. Seriously. You'll save like $300 with more than makes up the difference! Check it out!

Originally posted by superfula

You've been on this board for a while now. So you SHOULD know not to troll, not to spam, and to post something that actually deals with the topic. But apparently you haven't learned much since being here, troll.

On to the topic. My parents are in the market for a new computer soon. Course they value my opinion over any other. I suggested getting a Mac, since one could be had for a mere 1000. They want me to bring the PM home so they can try OSX out. I'm thinking either get them the eMac or iMac if they go for the Mac. Leaning toward the 15" iMac, so that's what I think you should get.

That's a bit harsh. Rudy wasn't being rude, he was only suggesting an alternative. Your post was more "trollish" than his, if that.

dude, it's probably WELL worth it to get it from the apple website. That's even considering the 256mb of ram and printer if you're getting that. Seriously. You'll save like $300 with more than makes up the difference! Check it out!

ya but im not in the us and i dont wanna bother with customs crap :(...mainly my dad wouldnt :s lol

well im "supposed" to be getting the mac about a month from now (same time as when we were supposed to check out macs at a mac store a few hrs away but he has to go to the US around then so we cant)

Originally posted by Opio

That's a bit harsh. Rudy wasn't being rude, he was only suggesting an alternative. Your post was more "trollish" than his, if that.

I never said he was being rude. But he was trolling. His post had nothing to do with the topic. Call it trolling...call it spam...you can call it whatever you want. That doesn't change what it is.