Ubuntu - How To Install Drivers?

"I will go to NVIDIA and download them now..."

If only it were that simple! XD

Why download graphics drivers if it's all working already? I've never had linux do the crappy window refresh thing windows does when it doesn't have the right drivers installed.

The default nvidia driver doesn't have hardware acceleration. The binary driver supplied by nVidia has hardware acceleration as well as a little configuration applet that lets you tweak certain things, much like the options in Windows display properties. If you try to run any sort of -real- games in Linux using a generic driver, you'll see a nice slideshow.

The default nvidia driver doesn't have hardware acceleration. The binary driver supplied by nVidia has hardware acceleration as well as a little configuration applet that lets you tweak certain things, much like the options in Windows display properties. If you try to run any sort of -real- games in Linux using a generic driver, you'll see a nice slideshow.

I now have NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-8762-pkg1.run on the desktop, which I believe are the drivers. What do I do with that now?

I now have NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-8762-pkg1.run on the desktop, which I believe are the drivers. What do I do with that now?

Before we go any further, can you type 'uname -a' in a console and post the result?

Before we go any further, can you type 'uname -a' in a console and post the result?

elliot@MustardUbuntu:~$ uname -a
Linux MustardUbuntu 2.6.15-23-386 #1 PREEMPT Tue May 23 13:49:40 UTC 2006 i686 GNU/Linux
elliot@MustardUbuntu:~$

I installed XMMS using Add/Remove Programs but the sound quality is terrible.

From what little I've read while researching your problems, most of them cleared up when the kernel was updated. Look for the K7 kernel in synaptic.

...and also follow the advice of the last two people to post, you need to check out ubuntuforums and the guide...now.

i also need to install drivers for ubuntu 5.1.i am willing to work with terminal window.system config:and athlon 3000+(754 pin),msi-k8mm-v,onboard graphics,onboard lan card(nic),onboard sound.256 mb ram.in via site following os are listed pls which onew to choose & how to install???

pls help.the gfx with default drivers are not up to the mark

Windows XP 
Windows XP 64-Bit 
Windows 2000 
Windows ME 
Windows NT 
Windows 98SE 
Windows 98 
Windows 95 
Windows Server 2003 x64 
DOS 
Windows XP Embedded SP2 
Windows XP Embedded 
Windows CE.net 5.0 
Windows CE.net 4.2 
Windows CE.net 4.1/4.0 
Linux XFree86 (Not distribution-specific) 
Mandriva 2006 Linux 
Mandrake / Mandriva pre-2006 Linux 
Fedora Core 5.0 Linux 
Fedora Core 1.0, 2.0 & 4.0 Linux 
Fedora Core 3.0 Linux 
Source 
SuSE Linux 
Red Flag Linux 
Red Hat Linux 
MAC OS 

also version details:Linux Home 2.6.12-9-386 #1 Mon Oct 10 13:14:36 BST 2005 i686 GNU/Linux.

what i have to do next??

From what little I've read while researching your problems, most of them cleared up when the kernel was updated. Look for the K7 kernel in synaptic.

...and also follow the advice of the last two people to post, you need to check out ubuntuforums and the guide...now.

Wha? This guy is new to Linux, and you're asking him to get a new kernel right away?

• 2 years later...

Strait forward guys.

I am trying to get my Shuttle SG33G5 machine to output from the SPDIF optical out using Kubuntu 7.10.

There just does not seem to be any way to get Gutsy to see that the board has this. I know in Windows (sorry, had to mention it since it is my only POR) you run an installation EXE and have it run the necessary commands to install the needed drivers and apps for controling those drivers.

If I have the driver CD, or at least the drivers themselves, how would I install them or at least get Gutsy to know that they are there?

Also, people seem to be saying "you can find this on "APPLICATIONS->UTILITIES...etc etc".

I don't seem to have that particular tree. The closest I get is applications under the "k" icon but I stop about there for lack of anything matching what people are referencing. Forgive my ignorance, but any time I search for these specifics, I get UBER specific threads outlining how I can install video drivers for an NVidia card on a Dell XXX... ;)

Anyway, back to point.

1st, how d I get that terminal window application (akin to "cmd" in window" w/o having to run a command and click on the "open inwindow" thing?

2nd, how can I run an executable windows file that would have the driver and apps needed to run the setup for the shuttles special audio? (I get the headphones, but the spdif is still dark (Fiber Optic))

3rd, what would be the driver files I want, and how could I just use a GUI on Kubunto to activate them?

4th, if there is no GUI for it, what are the commands?

Thanks (in advance) guys! Hope I can get a more complete answer than what Google has been giving me the past few days! ;)

• 8 months later...
Erm, type it where? Where do I download the drivers from and what do I do with them etc.?

I think I'll format the partition and put Vista back on. That downloads and installs the drivers for you :D

The answer you need is likely to be here: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SoundTroubleshooting

I had tried installing Realtek linux drivers to try and boost output volume but instead it failed to install and damaged working generic ones. Then I found above page and followed the following instructions, after it downloaded about 25MB of reinstallation files, I rebooted and everything was back up and running. The Terminal program is in Applications/Accessories. Only just started using linux myself and its very different from using Control Panel etc in Windows, but I guess once you know your way around..... [The `symbol in the instructions below by the way is usually above the TAB key or next to your 1 key depending on your keyboard layout.] Sorry others here were snotty and hope it helps!:

Refreshing/Reinstalling the drivers

Sometimes, sound might be configured correctly, but for some reason or another (tinkering) it stops working. If this is the case, you can purge your custom changes, and restore your system to a clean base. This may clear up your problem, and restore you to a working state.

Open a terminal and type sudo aptitude --purge reinstall linux-sound-base alsa-base alsa-utils linux-image-`uname -r` linux-ubuntu-modules-`uname -r` libasound2. This will purge any custom configurations that you've made, and any hand-compiled modules that you've built, and restore your sound stack to the "Official" Ubuntu core. You can also do this as two separate steps: sudo apt-get --purge remove linux-sound-base alsa-base alsa-utils and then sudo apt-get install linux-sound-base alsa-base alsa-utils , but this may result in some other packages which depend on the sound-base and alsa-utils from being removed, such as gdm and ubuntu-desktop. If this happens, then do sudo apt-get install gdm ubuntu-desktop

Edited by exwindowsuser

When I used the LiveCD, the sound and Internet worked instantly. However, I have now installed it and neither work any more and I can't figure out how to install drivers.

User-friendly Ubuntu my a*se lol if it wants to become mainstream and 'for everyone', they need simple things like this to work from the start like Windows XP does.

Mate stick with it and just do a bit of "breaking and fixing". You seriously get used to terminal commands and using 'sudo' where needed etc.

It is more mainstream than you would think. Its just that instead of control panel, it has a different name and to isntall software its not "add/remove programs" its 'Synaptic'

I have been using it for aover 2 weeks now and have serously started to love it. It becomes easy to use the more you get used to the menus etc.

The harder part is getting any MS software to work, using Wine. I recommend DOWNGRADING the version that comes with the latest Ubuntu release. It is buggy compaired to previous releases. Im currently using release "16" i think it was.

Stop. Dont install that. Not unless you love battling with terminal commands to try and get a working desktop.

Using the repositries in Ubuntu is a great idea. They are already configured to work properly and present you with an x-desktop.

It's much easier to install it through apt-get.

Agreed.

Serously king Mustard, you will get used to it all. Just spend a week or two getting to know it.

... just spend a week or two getting to know it.
Three. Years.

:laugh:

QFT

This thread is from 2006!

Mate stick with it and just do a bit of "breaking and fixing". You seriously get used to terminal commands and using 'sudo' where needed etc.

It is more mainstream than you would think. Its just that instead of control panel, it has a different name and to isntall software its not "add/remove programs" its 'Synaptic'

I have been using it for aover 2 weeks now and have serously started to love it. It becomes easy to use the more you get used to the menus etc.

The harder part is getting any MS software to work, using Wine. I recommend DOWNGRADING the version that comes with the latest Ubuntu release. It is buggy compaired to previous releases. Im currently using release "16" i think it was.

Stop. Dont install that. Not unless you love battling with terminal commands to try and get a working desktop.

Using the repositries in Ubuntu is a great idea. They are already configured to work properly and present you with an x-desktop.

Agreed.

Serously king Mustard, you will get used to it all. Just spend a week or two getting to know it.

I second on the stop-- The .run does work though you need -- before it can run-- is build essential - kernel source for your kernel- and about 3 other things.

Once you enable the restricted and also while you are there under the software sources enable multiverse. Usually I just tell people = System- administration- Software Sources- then under the first tab make sure all the last one at the bottom is checked (it is ok if all are checked).

Then I think depending on video card---

sudo apt-get install nvidia-glx-new

(will grab the latest release)

Now as far as sound-- before you goto modprobe-

I would suggest trying to see if it is working already.

System- Preferences - then the sound-

when that opens up try each settings and that is under Sound Playback- I believe that the default sound driver for the live CD is ALSA- it is possible that when the os was setup it chose a different one.

Once you enable the Restricted and Multiverse-

run a simple command to install flash.

sudo apt-get install flashplugin-nonfree

If that does not work for the sound then try the modprobe

Well I only responded to what you posted and I missed that too... Rise of the old thread--- Revisited......Revised and now at least it is up to date.

• 1 year later...

Strait forward guys.

I am trying to get my Shuttle SG33G5 machine to output from the SPDIF optical out using Kubuntu 7.10.

There just does not seem to be any way to get Gutsy to see that the board has this. I know in Windows (sorry, had to mention it since it is my only POR) you run an installation EXE and have it run the necessary commands to install the needed drivers and apps for controling those drivers.

If I have the driver CD, or at least the drivers themselves, how would I install them or at least get Gutsy to know that they are there?

Also, people seem to be saying "you can find this on "APPLICATIONS->UTILITIES...etc etc".

I don't seem to have that particular tree. The closest I get is applications under the "k" icon but I stop about there for lack of anything matching what people are referencing. Forgive my ignorance, but any time I search for these specifics, I get UBER specific threads outlining how I can install video drivers for an NVidia card on a Dell XXX... ;)

Anyway, back to point.

1st, how d I get that terminal window application (akin to "cmd" in window" w/o having to run a command and click on the "open inwindow" thing?

2nd, how can I run an executable windows file that would have the driver and apps needed to run the setup for the shuttles special audio? (I get the headphones, but the spdif is still dark (Fiber Optic))

3rd, what would be the driver files I want, and how could I just use a GUI on Kubunto to activate them?

4th, if there is no GUI for it, what are the commands?

Thanks (in advance) guys! Hope I can get a more complete answer than what Google has been giving me the past few days! ;)

hello there. hopefully i can help you with out all the "geek speak". to find Terminal, you click on you "Applications" tab on your "start" bar. then go to "accessories" and click that. finally click on "terminal". it will open a window with a line of text that says " (your user name)@(your computers name):~$

example: jason@kamitech:~$

this is called the "command line interface" or in win terms (try to avoid these) the "command prompt".

your second question is however got some bad news with it. most windows executables are proprietary, meaning that they have been programmed to work with only windows. Ubuntu is a Linux flavor, and as such (for obvious reasons) is NOT windows, and therefore cannot run windows applications or programs. only a few programs have a "WINE" loader made (a set of code that allows Linux to run a windows program). sorry for the news.

for your third question, i would first need to know what devices you need the drivers for (cant help without that info) and IF the driver installer has a GUI for it, then your gravy, but if not, you are pretty much SOL without understanding Terminal first.

question four is self explainable. i need to know the driver and then i can provide you with information.

hope this helps you. later.

Memorizing Linux commands is a pain in the ass. We all know it. Unless you have a photographic memory, I think it's best to make a cheat sheet. That in itself is a pain in the ass too (who the hell wants to look at a cheat sheet to do anything?), but once you get it down, you'll breeze through things that would've taken hours on Google to figure out. At one point or another, you'll wonder why you were ever stumped in the first place. I can't speak for everyone, but I'd rather refer to a sheet of commands I made myself than skim through Google or outdated threads from obscure forums.

It's called a learning experience for a reason. Linux doesn't hold your hand like Windows does.