Zero Codec Pack

I agree with and1direct, Codec Packs are great if you know what to install and what not to. i use K-Lite 3.5.3 Codec Pack which works really well for me, i watch anime and drama's with subs and what not. I have had no problems with it what so ever, but watching things with subs for VideoLAN tend to not show unless you have the subtitle file but sometimes it still doesnt work. It works great with other videos though.

• 5 weeks later...

Uhhh... in reference to the first post:

The "How to Install Playback Software" guide SUCKS. I don't why the heck they archived their own old versions of FFDShow, MPC, and etc, but -- wth?

DefilerPak is warez (DiVx-wma? come on now) and uses old buggy FFDShow.

DivX Total Pack is warez. Old versions of a bunch of codecs, great.

Tzim's hasn't been updated in a year. I'd recommend just going with the CCCP suggestion.

• 3 weeks later...

The problem with "it works for me, your mileage may vary" is that that sucks as advice for a billion people. If you have a failure rate of 1%... that's more people than are in New York City. Near perfection and AppVerifier are your friend, for starters.

• 5 months later...

Would it be possible to get the original post in this thread updated to point to FFDShow TRYOUTS instead of the broken and abandoned in 2002 FFDShow? FFDShow itself is old and broken. FFDShow Tryouts fixes many important bugs and benefits from six years of further development work. *thumbs up*

• 2 weeks later...
I disagree with this thread entirely.

Same here.

I think the bad reputation of early codec packs was unfairly passed on to newer ones. CCCP and VCP for example, are excellent codec packs and they do not destroy your system or anything like that.

+1 CCCP or just ffdshow (the new tryouts version, not old broken one!!!!) hell even MPC gets most jobs done by itself without installing any codecs

no need to install k-lite or any huge codec pack at all

Amen. Codec packs must cease to exist! And Nero should stop making their codecs the defaults.

It's bad that a "good" thing like directshow filters end up being a mess because vendors can't keep their **** together. Codec packs only make it more messy. VLC could be a lot better though. The thing can play the most non-standard stuff (and by non standard I mean a file in a container that doesn't comply with standards), and that's as good as IE's rendering engine, lol.

• 2 weeks later...

I use another codec pack of an un-named source, since I am unsure of its legal status...

• 1 month later...

Codec packs are bad? Since when? I've always used them and had 0 (zero) problems. And it's played every file I've thrown at it, in any media player I want, so I can't complain.

There used to be a lot of dodgy ones that were full of spyware and warez.

Seems like these days people just take ffdshow + one or two other things and call it a codec pack.

Right, I realize that people get confused because it works (or they think it works) for them and that it's all OK. Unfortunately, that's not always the case. For example, ask the makers of "infamous one" about why they removed IAC from their package in December and whether or not that had anything to do with the fact that that led to a crash in most MPEG2 aware DShow based in-box components on Windows Vista (since IAC crashes on a standard filter query) which blossomed because of their abject incompetence into the single most frequent crash in those applications. Bravo sirs.

I agree that you as an average user might not notice bugs that will corrupt the systems of millions of users. On the plus side, people like me and many others are here to look out for you and try to get these pieces of junk fixed up so that you can happily and cheerily say "Well It Worked For Me!" and have that be a meaningful statement.

If you have questions about the stability/instability of codec packs, you're welcome to PM me. The most you can say is that "recent" versions of *certain* packs seem to work for now. I monitor multimedia problems / crashes, so it's quite possible that I'll accidentally find more bugs in those packs going forward. It would be irresponsible of you or anyone to claim that these random collections are bug-free or non-problematic, sorry. It's just not the case. For more indepth discussions head to doom9 or other multimedia-focused site. <3

I use the K-lite Mega Codec Pack for a very long time in various PCs. I never experienced any problems. I will keep using Codec Packs because i want to be sure that my system will play every file/audio in the best possible and easy way.

CCCP is the best codec pack out right now; as it has been for a while

uses the minimum required to play every format of every kind, is pre-configured to guarantee no conflicts of any kind, AND has a small footprint