Meet the browser: Opera Next

Build 8701/3607/543 Released | Opera 9.12

Help us help you!

By borg. Friday, 19. January 2007, 16:10:04

Attention: This build is experimental.

It contains a feature reporting system that will report back usage of a number of features to Opera once per week. This allows us to know more about how you all use our product in an anonymous way.

The idea is that while some people tell us about their wishes and concerns in the blog and forums, thousands of people download the weeklies without giving direct feedback. By using a build with feature reporting, they will also contribute to improving the product for all of us.

Yes, you can turn the feature off:

opera:config#UserPrefs|EnableUsageReport

Normally we don't ask you to install a weekly on top of a final version, but if you dare do so this time it will help us get more correct data, making sure that we continue to make a better browser for YOU.

So, what does the report contain?

You can check yourself, a copy of the next report is stored in the Opera profile directory, under usagereport/report.xml. It reports things like what preferences you have enabled or not, whether you use Widgets or not, and how many bookmarks you have. Only numbers*, no domain names or other sensitive data.

*) Excluding Visa and MasterCard :innocent:

Changelog

Included experimental feature reporting mechanism

Java works again

Some stability fixes

Download links

Windows MSI

Windows Classic

Macintosh

Unix

Source // Desktop Team

my opera

Friday, 19. January 2007, 14:37:24

about, linux, opera, desktop

In this week's weekly we enabled a new experimental feature - usage report.

Usage… of what?

Well, of your browser setup, of your preferences, of the features you use, or don't use in Opera - in short, of how you really use Opera. You often told us how you would like Opera to be, or behave, which features you would like to add, etc. But we don't know how you actually use Opera. This report is done in a completely anonymous way, no personal or sensitive details are sent to us. And yes, for the paranoid, there is a way of disabling the feature:

opera:config#UserPrefs|EnableUsageReport

We usually do not recommend to install weeklies over final installations - but in this case we might make an exception. So, for the daredevils:

take a backup of your profile.

make sure you have a backup of your profile (twice should be enough, right?)

install this week's weekly build as your main build.

In this way we could really see how you really use your Opera - and not the test build you customize to death.

Now… what does this really look like?

You can easily inspect the details of the report in ~/.opera/usagereport/report.xml. Let me give you an example of what this might look like. Take my own report (I'll upload it as a .txt file for easier reading). There are a few things that might be interesting for us:

I use Opera for mail (and have 99094 messages)

I use Opera for feeds (and am subscribed to 91 of them)

I visited 1301 pages last week (is that a small number?)

I use several windows (4)

I use a lot of tabs! (average is 343, with a peak at 377)

I allow 20 max connections to server and 128 in total (I need that for all those tabs)

Almost everything in QuickPrefs is disabled

I have my own key bindings

I don't use BitTorrent nor Widgets (who does?…)

And how does your Opera look like? What do you use, or tweak, or configure? Mine looks pretty plain - but don't let yourself be fooled: there are 343 tabs, it's just that… I disable the tab bar…

Usage Report // Source >> My Opera (csant)

Edited by Darken

Build 8701/3607/543 Released | Opera 9.12

Changelog

Java works again

Some stability fixes

New changelog >>

Java works again

Some stability fixes

URL entered in detached tab now actually opens it in the detached tab

Quick find in windows panel now searches in windows panel if both are open

Visited links "Expiry" settings now work properly

• 2 weeks later...

Build 8713/3620/547 Released | Opera 9.20

New weekly build

By olli. Friday, 2. February 2007, 17:11:27

Hi

We added experimental developer tool to Opera. Go to tools/advanced/Developer Console to try it out. (will not work with js and popups disabled)

Sorry no static linux build today :-(

Changelog

Unneeded scrollbar now gone on adobe.com

Some fraud protection improvements

Made proxy authentication work better

Added Developer console

Usage report only asks 1 in 1000

Fixes to entering hostname: port in addressbar

Javascript scroll events now fired on mouseweel

Server Expiry header is now respected even if the time exceeds user preference

UNIX

Fixed master password expiry time on unix

Added Shared X memory. Should now be quite a bit faster

Note: On FreeBSD shared memory doesn't work by FreeBSD design. You need to run this as as root:

# sysctl kern.ipc.shm_allow_removed=1

(We'll be adding a workaround for this in later builds.)

Download links

Windows MSI

Windows Classic

Macintosh

Unix

Source // Desktop Team

Usage Report // My Opera (csant)

View all stats reports // Global Statistics

• 1 month later...

Sorry I'm not a pro at doing this but hey we need to get this updated somehow :p

Windows build 8732 Mac build 3630 UNIX build 577

"Is that my blog on your Speed Dial?"

By borg. Wednesday, 28. February 2007, 16:43:57desktop, WEEKLY, opera mini, speed dial

Opera Mini already adds Speed Dial shortcuts to the first 9 links on the start page, so you can just press *1 to get to your favorite site on your phone. Now we do the same thing for desktop, where Ctrl+1 to Ctrl+9 gives you direct access to your 9 favorites. When you open a new tab, the 9 Speed Dial sites will be displayed with pretty thumbnails, a single mouse click away

Why Speed Dial?

Bookmarks often fall into two categories:

A bunch of sites you bookmark because you may want to visit them again someday

5 or 6 sites you visit very often

Speed Dial is an elegant way to address the second category. When you open a new tab, it will often be to go to one of your favorite sites, so why not just show them there instead of an entirely blank page? Adding your favorites to Speed Dial is also very, very simple: Just click the button and choose a site from your Top 10 history or from the currently open tabs. Deleting them is just as simple, with the X in the upper right corner.

Cool stuff:

You can reload all thumbnails by pressing Ctrl+R, giving you a quick overview of whether your favorite pages have changed, or just reload one of them from the right-click menu (nice for Web mail!).

We're partnering with Yahoo! on both Mobile and Desktop, which explains the new search field. You can of course configure it from search preferences.

You can drag links to thumbnails and even rearrange thumbnails by dragging them on top of each other.

You can hide the entire thing with the "Hide Speed Dial" button in the lower right corner if you don't like it.

So, what's on *your* Speed Dial?

Known issues:

Overrides your search.ini file instead of merging them: Make a backup before installing.

Thumbnails should not reload on every startup.

"Reload every..." is missing from the context menu.

Middle-click doesn't open pages in the background.

Back button doesn't go back to Speed Dial.

Several skin and display problems.

Contains some hardcoded not translatable strings.

The "What is Speed Dial" link doesn't go anywhere.

Forgetting to put your partner's blog in SD1 can have dramatic consequences

Changelog:

Fixed several crashes when printing, sending mail, removing active web panel...

Lots of minor fixes.

Start bar is replaced by Speed Dial, Top-10 and Bookmark buttons can be found in the Appearance dialog and added to other toolbars.

Canvas: Stopped drawing lines from origin (0, 0) when using path functions in accordance with changes in WHATWG canvas spec. Note to Widget developers: This may cause problems with your Widgets if you use Canvas.

Note: If you'd like to chat about weekly builds, join us in #weekly on irc.opera.com.

Windows MSI: http://snapshot.opera.com/windows/o920w_8732m.exe

Windows Classic: http://snapshot.opera.com/windows/o920w_8732.exe

Macintosh: http://snapshot.opera.com/mac/o920w_3630.dmg

Unix: http://snapshot.opera.com/unix/Weekly-577/

BlackShadow... no need to worry about being a pro at it... ;) hehe

Heck, every week I try and race Darken to see who will post it first :p I wonder where he is... he's slacking :D I can't believe neither of us noticed this wasn't updated... Good job noticing and keeping it updated though (Y)

I looove speed dial... I never used the Start bar, so I don't miss that. But I do think that they need to leave it there for the people that do use it. Hopefully next weekly they will both be available...

:D Last week, I had not announced this latest build because Opera team had suppressed the Start bar. So, No Start bar = no build announcement from me. :)

Next build, the return of the Start bar. wohhhhoooooo!! :woot:

Well... we now see that if there is no new announcement... that Darken is responsible :p

...that Darken is responsible :p

:p But... hummm, I have read this good news ( :D ):

Quick update on CSS3 selectors

Tuesday, 27. February 2007, 00:09:51

Opera, selectors, css3

I previously reported that all CSS3 selectors were implemented in an internal build of Opera, but seven of these were disabled in the builds due to various issues. While this is still the case with the very latest builds, there has been progress with the two selectors that were labelled as buggy on the CSS3 selectors test. The previous results were as follows:

From the 43 selectors 34 have passed, 2 are buggy and 7 are unsupported (Passed 460 out of 578 tests)

The latest results are now as follows:

From the 43 selectors 36 have passed, 0 are buggy and 7 are unsupported (Passed 464 out of 578 tests)

I'm fairly confident that when the seven unsupported selectors are turned on we will pass all of the tests. Now to concentrate on other bugs and features?€?

// Quick update on CSS3 selectors

Are there any 9.2 builds available on the Mac platform? I can't find any.

This should be a direct link to the latest build of 9.20 (build 3630) from a few weeks ago. I'd wait until tomorrow though, they might release another build. It has been 2 weeks or so since the last update.

Edited by halcyoncmdr

Build 8746/3648/598 Released | Opera 9.20

Speed Dial closer to completion

By julienp. Friday, 16. March 2007, 16:18:11

There has been a lot of work done on Speed dial during the last couple of weeks. We are now getting very close to completion.

Look out for the potential regressions or new bugs. Enjoy!

Changelog

Upgrading will now attempt to merge the default searches with your own. Look out for bugs! Make a backup!

Put startbar back into the configuration - disabled by default

Speed dial now doesn't load entries every time

Added "reload every" to speed dial items

Disabled plugins completely in speed dial

Improved keyboard navigation in speed dial - menu keys now bring up the correct context menu, delete removes current entry

Added opera:config option to configure speed dial . Has four modes: 0 = Folded, 1 = Shown, 2 = No editing allowed, 3 = Disabled

New help tooltip in speed dial

A bunch of other speed dial fixes

Fixed bug where Opera wouldn't exit after visiting Yahoo! games

Saving big images should now work better

Skandiabanken.no's message about successful certificate installation is now shown

UNIX

Improved Shared memory on FreeBSD and Solaris

Added more plugin paths on Solaris

Download links

Windows MSI

Windows Classic

Macintosh

Unix

Source // Desktop Team

Wooohoooo >> Put startbar back into the configuration - disabled by default

Build 8758/3658/615 Released | Opera 9.20

Imagine title here

By olli. Thursday, 22. March 2007, 17:24:55WEEKLY, Opera

Hi all. Good to be back from vacation and being able to offer you guys a new weekly build. (No static UNIX builds for now, sorry).

Changelog

Fixed issue with replacing personal search engines on startup

Support for downloading search engine icons on first start and upgrade

Fixed a fair number of cosmetic issues in speed dial

Added a limit on how many page thumbnails can be in memory, should result in lower memory usage over time

Added thumbnail tooltip to the windows panel list

Enabled plugins in feeds again

Fixed a heap of prominent and non-prominent crashers

Most translations should now be up to date, please test!

UNIX

Fixed deadkeys on GMail (finally!)

Fixed spellchecker on FreeBSD (look for the right libaspell...)

Improved protection against running two instances of Opera using the same settings directory

mac

Opera now supports the AppleAntiAliasingThreshold property which allows you to turn off antialiasing (font smoothing) separately from the system setting; a bug in not respecting the system setting has also been fixed

Download links

Windows MSI

Windows Classic

Macintosh

Unix

Source // Desktop Team

Notice: Don't forget this from builds 8746/3648/598 and + >> Upgrading will now attempt to merge the default searches with your own. Look out for bugs! Make a backup!

Build 8758/3658/615 Released | Opera 9.20

---> Known issue

Rightclicking causes crashes in various contexts.

Installed and for now, all seems to works fine for me.

Rightclicking causes crashes in various contexts >>

Opera crashes when right clicking mouse to paste text in the mail/ signature field.
Opera crash when i try to paste in speed dial address...?!?
When I goto manage a feed, right clicking on the feeds address crashes this build for me (on Vista Ultimate)
Opera crash when writing a letter in M2 and using right mouse button.

:)

Build 8762/3659/617 Released | Opera 9.20

A short changelog

By borg. Friday, 23. March 2007, 11:34:12 WEEKLY

Just thought we should bring you the latest and greatest before the weekend, so here's an update with a few small, but hopefully significant fixes.

Keiki from our Tokyo office asked me a few questions for his Japanese blog last time he was in Oslo, so if you speak the language you may want to have a look :ninja:

Changelog

Fixed the crasher when right clicking certain places

Fixed title for redirected pages in speed dial

Improved plugin detection on Solaris

Known issue

This week only lasted one day, sorry about that :p

Download links

Windows MSI

Windows Classic

Macintosh

Unix

Source // Desktop Team

Notice: Don't forget this from builds 8746/3648/598 and + >> Upgrading will now attempt to merge the default searches with your own. Look out for bugs! Make a backup!

Build 8762/3659/617 Released | Opera 9.20

9.2 Beta

By borg. Wednesday, 28. March 2007, 07:47:04

Thank you!

Great feedback here over the last few weeks has helped us a lot and we're happy to see 9.2 Beta going live on labs.opera.com

In other good news, Adobe has announced Creative Suite 3 where Opera is used by several components as a rendering engine.

Changelog

Changelog for Opera 9.20 beta for Windows

Changelog for Opera 9.20 beta for Mac

Changelog for Opera 9.20 beta for UNIX

Download links

Windows MSI

Windows Classic

Macintosh

Unix

Source // Desktop Team

Notice?: This build is the same build as the last weekly>>

Build 8767/3664/628 Released | Opera 9.20

Approaching 9.2

By feldgendler. Friday, 30. March 2007, 15:24:54

Привет всем нашим пользователям! Сегодня моя очередь объявлять еженедельный выпуск, поэтому я напишу по-русски. Спасибо пользователям из России за поддержку! Теперь у вас есть свой человек в Desktop Team. :-)

Самое важное в новом выпуске — исправления, касающиеся Flash 9 под Linux. Теперь видео с YouTube можно смотреть в полноэкранном режиме! (Ещё можно закрывать надоедливую Flash-рекламу.)

Другие изменения

Добавлен автоматический поиск из адресной строки при вводе более одного слова;

Оформление Speed Dial оптимизировано по скорости;

В запросах BitTorrent появилась поддержка необязательного ?ключа?, это означает, что больше торрентов будут работать;

Исправлены проблемы с прозрачными областями в некоторых виджетах под UNIX;

Появились пакеты .6 для архитектуры ppc-linux, которые будут (ну, должны) работать на PS3, если вы поставили туда Linux!

Now in English...b>

Hello to all our users! Today it's my turn to announce the weekly build, so why don't I post in Russian? Thanks to the Russian users for your support. Now you have an insider in Desktop Team! :-)

The most important is that we've fixed some issues with Flash 9 on Linux. This means that you can now watch YouTube video fullscreen! (And close annyoing Flash ads.)[/quoteOther changesb>

Added support for automatic search from address bar when entering more than one word;

Some speed optimizations in the Speed Dial skin;

Added support for the optional “key” in BitTorrent requests, should make more torrent downloads work;

Fixed issue with transparent areas in some widgets on UNIX;

we have now ppc-linux .6 packages: that means that they work (okay, should work) on your PS3! — if you installed Linux on it.Official changelogb>

Changelog for Opera 9.20 beta for UNIXЗагрузка / Downloadb>

Windows MSI

Windows Classic

Macintosh

Unix

Source // Desktop Team

Build 8769/3666/631 Released | Opera 9.20

Easter egg!

By borg. Tuesday, 3. April 2007, 14:46:02

After a boring weekend we're finally allowed to be funny again

Personally I really look forward to the dress as a troll day, hope to bring you pictures of that

In the meantime, here's a new build with minor fixes all over the place. Our QA is too busy testing to even write a changelog, so finding the fixes will be our way of hunting easter eggs, I guess...

Known issue

The .6 rpm doesn't start on Linux. You can fix it by replacing

"OPERA_BINARYDIR=/usr/lib/opera/9.20-20070403.10/" with

"OPERA_BINARYDIR=/usr/lib/opera/9.20-20070403.6/"

in the startup script "/usr/bin/opera"

Official changelog

Changelog for Opera 9.20 beta for UNIX

Known changelog

Further improvements to flash 9 plug-in on UNIX

Download links

Windows MSI

Windows Classic

Macintosh

Unix

Source // Desktop Team