Meet the browser: Opera Next

Finally an Opera post in the most recent 10 NOT bashing the company. Anyone elses Auto Update not updating to this latest build? I have it set to download all Snapshots and it thinks I am running the latest (I am running the "More Than Beta 2" build right now)....either way, updating now.

It gave me an auto update almost immediately after I woke my laptop from sleep. I still insist on downloading the installers as I apply my icon patch right after each build upgrade.

Now for visual changes done to the skins for this build:

- The tabs for dialogs are way too puny in the standard skin.

- Windows Native finally looks more native. The Panels bar looks a bit weird though. Navigation buttons look a bit Tango-ish in the Native skin. (Then again, most of the new icons bear a slight resemblance to the icons from the Tango project.)

edit:

Mac build may leave zombie processes running on your system which will feast on the brains of the living (related to crash logging)

:rofl:

Finally an Opera post in the most recent 10 NOT bashing the company. Anyone elses Auto Update not updating to this latest build? I have it set to download all Snapshots and it thinks I am running the latest (I am running the "More Than Beta 2" build right now)....either way, updating now.

I didn't get a prompt on my laptop

yep me. I have to get the snapshots manually. If i force get updates it tells i have the latest version (which i didn't)

I didn't get a prompt on my laptop

Heh weird. Me too.

Both my desktop and laptop are set to grab snapshot builds, yet only the desktop gets updated...

It gave me an auto update almost immediately after I woke my laptop from sleep. I still insist on downloading the installers as I apply my icon patch right after each build upgrade.

Now for visual changes done to the skins for this build:

- The tabs for dialogs are way too puny in the standard skin.

- Windows Native finally looks more native. The Panels bar looks a bit weird though. Navigation buttons look a bit Tango-ish in the Native skin. (Then again, most of the new icons bear a slight resemblance to the icons from the Tango project.)

edit:

:rofl:

Agreed about the dialog window tabs.

I'm using the Windows native skin and it seems to fit well except, as you mentioned, the panels don't seem to be done yet and also i don't think the tab bar fits in with the rest of the toolbars if they are enabled (main bar, etc.). I don't have them enabled, but for people who do, it doesn't look very good.

Just for future reference, if you turn on this option:

opera:config#AutoUpdate|DownloadAllSnapshots

you'll get prompted when a new snapshot is available.

Also, I should add that if you use the Windows Native skin on a XP visual style, the visual separation between the thumbnails divider and the navigation toolbar is terrible. :| I really like how the standard skin's coming along, but Opera still has a long way to go to please those who favour a native look for their applications.

I have always had that option checked.....I even ensured it was checked when the last snapshot was posted and it never prompted me, it kept saying I was on the latest version.

Try hitting the Reset button in the Auto Update category in opera:config, then turn the snapshots option back on. See if that fixes it.

has always been like this:

• 2 weeks later...
Here's another snapshot.

Today you have two options to choose from: You can choose Opera 10.0 or Opera 10.10 with Unite. We're still working on polishing Opera Unite. We'll release the beta version of Opera 10.10 as soon as possible after the release of 10.0.

If you've installed any of the older snapshots or betas and set Opera to download all snapshots in opera:config you should automatically get updated to today's snapshots of Opera 10.0.

If you want to test out Unite, however, you'll have to download today's build of Opera 10.10 and install it manually. After that you'll be autoupdated to the next snapshot of Opera 10.10.

Highlights

? Opera should now run on FreeBSD 8

Known Issues

? No AMD64 FreeBSD 7/8 build

? Clicking the preview as a visitor in the photo sharing service does not work with restricted/private access

WARNING: This is a development snapshot: It contains the latest changes, but may also have severe known issues, including crashes and data loss situations. In fact, it may not work at all.

Download Opera 10.0 Snapshot

Windows MSI Windows Classic

Macintosh (Intel-only)/ Macintosh (Universal)

UNIX/Linux

Download Opera 10.10 Unite Snapshot

Windows MSI/ Windows Classic

Macintosh (Intel-only)/ Macintosh (Universal)

UNIX/Linux

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

From http://my.opera.com/desktopteam/blog/2009/09/10/moar-bilds:

Changelog:

User Interface

• Cleanup + support for persistent favicons. Favicons fetched for searches and default bookmark file will not be deleted on clean private data
  • Improved favicon lookup to allow more matches than before and improved notification to the rest of UI when icons are updated or removed (prevents random empty buttons in UI)
  • Load predefined bookmark icon (if any) as a separate request when activating the bookmark. Helps restoring lost favicons
  • New mail.ru mailto URL with UTF8 support
  • Support for ICONFILE field in regular bookmarks
  • Update favicon for a bookmark entry when activating it if the entry contains a ICONFILE tag
  • Update one bookmark icon only once per session
  • Align the button menu correctly even when the tab bar is disabled
  • Fixed Bug CORE-23532 (Desktop should show a dialog if the proxy refuses due to being too old)
  • Fixed Bug DSK-263397 (The menu button disappears on Opera restart)
  • Fixed Bug DSK-261132 (Text is cut off in Unite Setup dialog [de][ru][fr][nl])
  • Fixed Bug DSK-261133 (Text is cut off in Unite Service Config dialog [de][ru][nb][it][fr][es][nl])
  • Fixed Bug DSK-261147 (Strings don't fit on Link Config dialog [nb])
  • Fixed Bug DSK-261148 (Strings don't fit on Unite Adv Config dialog [it])
  • Fixed Bug DSK-261233 (Strings don't fit on Unite Setup dialog [de][fr][it][pl][ru])

Core

• Added debugging to get better crash info for Bug DSK-248074 (Opera crashes on laptop wake up)
  • Fixed Bug CORE-22207 (Skip body if inside a frameset)
  • Fixed Bug CORE-22795 (Two charsets in the same style crashes Opera)
  • Fixed Bug CORE-23766 (Don't throw an exception for illegal indices for StaticNodeList.item())
  • Fixed Bug DSK-264007 (Crash pressing Enter in custom search field)
  • Fixed Bug DSK-264708 (Implement sharedPath() and unsharePath() in DOM)

Opera Unite

• Updated Unite services to use the new Yusef library
  • Partial fix for Bug DSK-261504 (No error messages on failure to install service with an invalid servicepath)

Windows

• Fixed the serialized names to point to the correct folders
  • Implemented the new webfonts API
  • Reverted most of the mordernization of the menus
  • Don't check the flat menu setting before painting the menu background
  • Fixed Bug DSK-263409 (Opera crashes on startup when installed in path with 2-byte character)
  • Fixed Bug DSK-243052 (Command line URL length limited if browser already running)
  • Fixed Bug DSK-264426 (Large favicons in bookmarks list): Always restrict max favicon size to 16px, scaling down larger ones.

Mac

• Implemented platform webfont handles
  • Added new {LargePreferences} and {SmallPreferences}
  • Workaround for Bug DSK-263933 (Cannot access Google.com in Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard (IPv6 and slow DNS))

Unix

• Updated the SVG icon to have a square bounding box
  • Fixed Bug DSK-240834 (Opera Qt4-shared uses Qt3 settings when installed via install.sh)

• 2 months later...

Opera 10.20 goes alpha!

By Bazyli Zygan. Tuesday, 24. November 2009, 15:40:34

desktop, widgets, alpha, 10.20

After having released our final version of Opera Unite, we are proud to present you with the next level of Web applications for your desktop. Just a short while ago, we have released a Labs version, previewing our new approach to widgets: Opera Widgets are now first-class citizens in your computer, being accessible from the same place as other applications and providing the chance to develop desktop applications only once, running in any operating system.

We have listened to your feedback after the first Labs release. Improvements are already in the pipeline to enhance the experience of Opera Widgets within the browser, but please share all your comments and suggestions to help us make an even better product for you.

Please note that this release includes only changes related to Opera Widgets. There are no other changes in the browser functionality.

Go ahead, try it!

http://my.opera.com/desktopteam/blog/

Tried it, works

• 3 weeks later...

Christmas comes early for Opera users

By Huib Kleinhout. Thursday, 17. December 2009, 14:46:24

10.5 evenes xmas

While everyone is off for Christmas vacation, the desktop team is working hard on preparing a nice holiday gift for Opera users. On December 22nd we will release a 10.5 pre-alpha. We'll keep it a surprise for now, but the keyword is: speed.

http://my.opera.com/desktopteam/blog/index...20evenes%20xmas

Great!! :jump:

My only concern is the widgets. I like the widgets on the panel with an option to make them stand-alone apps, rather than all been apps.

True. The 10.2 lacks a proper management panel, but hey it's an alpha release. And for an alpha the basic system works practically faultless.