opera

448 replies to this topic

#421 Marshall

Marshall

▇ ▂ ▃ ▁ ▁ ▅

• Tech Issues Solved: 6

Posted 24 August 2011 - 05:21

Opera 11.51 (Swordfish) Release Candidate 1

Whilst we continue work towards Opera 12.00 (Wahoo), there are some important bugs we need to fix in the 11.50 (Swordfish) line. Hence there will be an 11.51 maintenance/stability release between 11.50 and 12.00. Here is the first release candidate for 11.51.

We won't be releasing "Opera Next" packages of this build as it is an update to the stable browser and should not be installed over Opera Next Wahoo packages, since that would effectively be a downgrade (which is never supported).
Try this out as an improved stable Opera, whilst you continue to test our latest features and improvements in the continuing Wahoo Opera Next snapshot series!

Blog & Download

#422 +Frank B.

Frank B.

Member N° 1,302

• Tech Issues Solved: 9
  • Phone: Sony Xperia Z2

Posted 03 September 2011 - 10:10

Opera 12.00 'Wahoo' build 1054

New Wahoo 12.00 build with rendering and Speed Dial improvements

After a successful 11.51 release we are now back on track and working towards 12.00 (Wahoo).

Some core highlights include implementation of fully CSS 2.1 compliant display:list-item and a fix to prevent the cache from growing past its allowed limit.

Regarding that last point, if the fix works as expected, Opera should not go past the cache size. And, after a crash, it should restore to the correct size. If you can check the cache size after a crash, and also after correctly closing Opera following a crash, that would be much appreciated.

On the Desktop side we have made the animations much nicer when you move Speed Dials around.

Of course there are plenty of other great fixes, so scroll down and have a look!

WARNING: This is a development snapshot: It contains the latest changes, but may also have severe known issues, including crashes, and data loss situations. In fact, it may not work at all.

Source/full change log: Opera Desktop Team blog
Download:

#423 wellofsouls

wellofsouls

Neowinian

Posted 14 September 2011 - 17:36

http://my.opera.com/.../2011/09/13/es5

Full ECMAScript (JavaScript) 5.1 support
By Haavard(haavard). Tuesday, September 13, 2011 3:00:00 PM

This build adds full support for the ECMAScript (JavaScript) 5.1 specification.

At time of writing the test262 test suite is reporting one error from a total of 10927 tests on the Windows and Mac platforms. As a comparison, Opera 11.51 on Windows has 3865 failures. See the known issues below for information on Linux.

Keep in mind that the test262 test suite is undergoing active development and far from complete. Even a perfect score in the current version of the test suite does not guarantee perfect ES 5.1 conformance. Results may also vary depending on when the test was run, as tests could be added, removed, fixed or otherwise altered at any time. Case in point: The only test that fails in this snapshot, S11.1.1_A2, is invalid.

That leaves Opera with a "perfect score" on Windows, Mac and 64-bit Linux in the current test262, while still keeping the unstable nature of the test suite in mind.

In addition to full ES 5.1 support, we have added a native implementation of ECMAScript typed arrays. This offers increased performance when dealing with things like binary data, and will be noticeable when, for example, using emulators or playing games using Canvas.

This build also adds support for <video muted> to mute HTML5 videos by default, and Linux users can enjoy GTK+3 support which means that Opera looks native again on Gnome 3 based systems (like Fedora).

Highlights
CORE-28638 Implement full support for new ECMAScript 5 features
CORE-38784 Native implementation of ECMAScript typed arrays for increased performance
CORE-40275 Implement <video muted>
DSK-343260 Support GTK+3 on Linux
CORE-33418 Update to the Unicode 6.0.0 specification

Known issues
Two valid tests in the test262 test suite fail on 32-bit Linux (works on 64-bit systems)

Download
Windows
Mac
Linux/FreeBSD

Now this is something (Y) (Y) (Y)

#424 +Quillz

Quillz

A Talking Pokemon

• Phone: iPhone 5

Posted 15 September 2011 - 02:17

Are these 12.x builds automatically updating like the dev builds of Chrome?

#425 ncc50446

ncc50446

Engage!

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: Android AOKP 4.0.4

Posted 15 September 2011 - 02:22

Are these 12.x builds automatically updating like the dev builds of Chrome?

Yupe, they do :) Usually takes a couple days, but they do

#426 +Quillz

Quillz

A Talking Pokemon

• Phone: iPhone 5

Posted 15 September 2011 - 02:26

Yupe, they do :) Usually takes a couple days, but they do

Cool, thanks for the info. I haven't used Opera in a long while, but I'm giving 12.x a try.

The only thing that bothers me is Opera Link... It never seems to sync up properly. I'll delete, say 20+ bookmarks, and the next time I launch Opera, they'll all back, even though I don't want them back.

#427 ncc50446

ncc50446

Engage!

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: Android AOKP 4.0.4

Posted 15 September 2011 - 02:41

Never had that problem...I don't change my bookmarks very often either..
Can post your problem on http://my.opera.com/desktopteam/blog/ and see what others say, they might be able to help :)

#428 wellofsouls

wellofsouls

Neowinian

Posted 17 September 2011 - 03:03

Cool, thanks for the info. I haven't used Opera in a long while, but I'm giving 12.x a try.

The only thing that bothers me is Opera Link... It never seems to sync up properly. I'll delete, say 20+ bookmarks, and the next time I launch Opera, they'll all back, even though I don't want them back.

I think there was such a bug in certain past builds, and the fix was to manually delete them from the web interface of Opera Link. And I think that bug was patched quite some time ago already.

#429 Marshall

Marshall

▇ ▂ ▃ ▁ ▁ ▅

• Tech Issues Solved: 6

Posted 28 September 2011 - 18:13

A shining new [bookmark] star

There is a new star in town! and it is located right there in your address field! You can now easily add and remove a page from your bookmarks. This is not a full bookmark manager (which we still have in the Bookmark menu and as a panel) but a quick and easy way to save a page for later. You can also add and remove a page from your Speed Dial page.

Posted Image

The star will light up in the address field when you visit a page that is either bookmarked or is a Speed Dial. We have experimented with a similar UI in Opera 9 Technical Preview 1 almost six years ago. We have revamped this popular request and hope you will all like our new take on it.

Download & Blog

#430 +Frank B.

Frank B.

Member N° 1,302

• Tech Issues Solved: 9
  • Phone: Sony Xperia Z2

Posted 07 October 2011 - 11:45

An updated Core, with Ragnarök and CSS3 radial gradients

We have a rather interesting new snapshot for you today. It includes an update to our Core rendering engine (Presto) to version 2.9.220, and with that come some really big improvements.

Firstly, this is the first snapshot to include Ragnarök! For those of you who haven't tested our earlier Labs builds, Ragnarök is the name of our implementation of the HTML5 Parsing algorithm. As Bruce Lawson explained previously, "The HTML5 specification defines a set of parsing rules for all markup, whether valid or invalid. Once all browsers have HTML5 parsers, the same markup will produce the same DOM across all conforming browsers.". If you would like to know more, you should also read our initial announcement, from the first Labs release.

The other big Core change is that we have improved our CSS3 gradient support. We already supported CSS3 linear gradients and now we have added support for CSS3 radial gradients.

Besides these major improvements, the Core team have also done a lot of site compatibility work. Together these Core updates should mean that Opera renders your favorite sites better than ever!

Finally, we also have a nice selection of important desktop improvements (I personally like the new on-demand plug-in activation) and bug fixes. As always, see the change log below for a full overview. And once you are done with that, download and get on with testing!

Known issues
  • No 64-bit FreeBSD packages this time (they will return in a future snapshot)
  • Tab stack extender is not working outside visual tab mode
  • Known issues from the last snapshot

WARNING: This is a development snapshot: It contains the latest changes, but may also have severe known issues, including crashes, and data loss situations. In fact, it may not work at all.

Source: Opera Desktop Team blog
Downloads:

#431 x-byte

x-byte

Neowinian

Posted 11 October 2011 - 07:05

Featherweight and plugin installation improves, plus important fixes

Mondays are often depressing, so here is a new build with improvements to our Featherweight skin to help lighten your day. Posted Image Some of the highlights are:
  • The icons have been polished and aligned
  • Badge graphic has been tuned
  • The panel now blends with the active tab
  • Tuned colorization on Windows and Linux to blend more with the platform colors
  • New URL drop down look, with easier to use search suggestions
Here are a couple of screen shots from Mac and Windows. Can you spot the changes? Posted Image

Posted ImagePosted Image
Here is a view with the panel showing. This time I'll highlight the change for you. Posted Image
Posted Image
Additionally, we have also done a fair amount of work on our auto-update and plugin installation features, and fixed a handful of annoying recent regressions. Posted Image

For a more complete list of changes, scroll down to the change log below.

DownloadRead More...

#432 wellofsouls

wellofsouls

Neowinian

Posted 13 October 2011 - 08:32

http://my.opera.com/...-opera-12-alpha

Introducing Opera 12 alpha

The last months Opera 12 snapshots have received two major updates of its JavaScript engine, Carakan, which make it more memory efficient and fully ECMAScript 5.1 compliant. Last week the new HTML 5 parser Ragnarök was added. Today Opera 12 alpha introduces another major technological milestone: full hardware acceleration with WebGL.

WebGL
WebGL in combination with new ECMAscript features like type arrarys makes it possible to develop and run games with high quality graphics in your browser. To demonstrate the possibilities of these new technologies Opera has ported the game Emberwind to HTML5. There are several other demos like Formula 1 and Don't click.

Full hardware acceleration
Opera aims to give the best possible performance for all users. This is why we already have a "software accelerated" backend in Vega. However with the new hardware accelerated backend Opera will draw the whole user interface using the GPU, not just specific elements of the webpage like the canvas element. This will offload the CPU significantly and make it possible to accelerate the rendering of all webpages. On systems with outdated drivers or buggy graphics cards, Opera will fallback to the heavily optimized Vega software rendering engine.

Currently hardware acceleration is in an alpha stage and only uses an OpenGL backend. We would like to get your feedback about how well it works for you. Opera 12 alpha works best with modern graphics cards and up to date drivers. In future snapshot we'll add support for DirectX and more graphics cards. Be aware that testing Opera 12 alpha can trigger bugs in your graphics card and in worst case blue screen your computer.

Themes
Opera 12 makes it easier than ever to personalize your browser. It's now possible to create simple lightweight themes based on a nice photos or other graphics. It's also easier to install and try out new and existing themes (previously called skins). Try them out here! (currently only available for Windows & Mac).

Have fun test driving Opera 12 alpha!

WARNING: This is an Opera 12.00 Alpha build: It is not feature complete and may have severe known issues, including crashes, and data loss situations. If you are uncomfortable with this, please use the latest stable Opera instead.

Download

Windows

Mac

Linux/FreeBSD

Full Hardware Acceleration and WebGL, wow!!! :drool: (Y)

#433 x-byte

x-byte

Neowinian

Posted 20 October 2011 - 23:23

Hardware acceleration fixes

This is the first snapshot after Opera 12 Alpha. A big thank you goes out to everyone who joined us on the far side of software development and installed the Alpha release of Opera 12. Your feedback has been invaluable.

When it comes to hardware acceleration, we're currently in a state of code cleanup and optimization, so there will not be many big changes coming in this area in the next weeks. This builds has a couple of very important fixes though, first among them is plugging a big memory leak on Windows.

Anyone running Opera 12 Alpha are strongly encouraged to upgrade to the build linked below.

Code cleanup and optimizations
Plugged a huge memory leak on Windows, and a smaller one on Mac
Several updates to blocklists. Note that many changes are continuously pushed through autoupdate, so you probably have these changes already
- Blocking use of hardware acceleration on NVIDIA Quadro NVS (bad performance)
- Blocking use of hardware acceleration on NVIDIA FX/PCX series (buggy driver version detection prevented blocking of the too old driver)
- Blocking use of 3D hardware acceleration (WebGL) on Intel GMA 3000 (bad performance)
- Added fallback rule for unknown chipsets on Windows as well, should block things like VMWare
Fixed ex value parsing on Mac, fixes many odd errors where things go missing on websites like reddit
Made "Minimal restart" in crashlog UI work again
Improved flash rendering on Mac
Fixed crash when closing tabs with "dimmed" dialogs

Download
Windows
Mac
Linux/FreeBSD

http://my.opera.com/desktopteam/blog/2011/10/20/hardware-acceleration-fixes

#434 Athlonite

Athlonite

Neowinian Senior

Posted 21 October 2011 - 04:22

not a bad effort for an alpha build although I did notice whilst running the new beta version of Peacekeeper listed under HTML 5 there still isn't any h.264 video support

but decent score none the less

2788 Points
Detailed version information:
Opera/9.80 (Windows NT 6.1; U; Edition Next; en) Presto/2.9.220 Version/12.00
Suite
Result
Rendering
renderGrid01
199.60 fps
renderGrid02
197.99 fps
renderGrid03
39.07 fps
renderPhysics
62.44 fps
HTML5 Capabilities
5/6
webglSphere
Yes (55.61 fps)
videoPosterSupport
Yes
videoCodecH264
N/A
videoCodecTheora
Yes
videoCodecWebM
Yes
workerContrast01
Yes (2328.86 ops)
workerContrast02
Yes (2977.65 ops)
HTML5 Canvas
experimentalRipple01
56.74 fps
experimentalRipple02
24.73 fps
Data
arrayCombined
5485.50 ops
arrayWeighted
127020.00 ops
DOM operations
domGetElements
183500.00 ops
domDynamicCreationCreateElement
21819.00 ops
domDynamicCreationInnerHTML
43214.50 ops
domJQueryAttributeFilters
22163.00 ops
domJQueryBasicFilters
2480.00 ops
domJQueryBasics
2349.00 ops
domJQueryContentFilters
2479.50 ops
domJQueryHierarchy
28141.50 ops
domQueryselector
27069.50 ops
Text parsing
stringChat
54520.00 ops
stringDetectBrowser
431942.50 ops
stringFilter
23500.00 ops
stringValidateForm
537885.50 ops
stringWeighted
63078.00 ops

#435 1941

Banned

Posted 17 December 2011 - 18:50

Is there a way to install Opera so it does not take over other windows stuff as default?

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!