New Halo 3 Pic

These are called JPEG artifacts :) Not some photoshop trick. The 360 supports all of the perspective camera effects and they have been used in some games before...

What is this crap, that's not a screenshot...

Forget the jags, look at the ambient lighting around the jags. You can clearly see that the master chief was cut and pasted into this image from a much darker backdrop.

And Xbox 360 effects? I don't think so, LOL! That mechanical thing on the left has a drop shadow... A drop shadow, on the sky in the background...

If you're anything past a total hobbyist graphic designer or 3D modeler, you won't fall for this.

You are right, it's quite silly to have drop shadow on a skybox but it could be from a JPEG compression with blury effects, they make even straight lines blend into the backrounds seeming like the line is dropping shadow.

"In-Game" can be many things. It could be real-time rendered at less than 1 fps. Heck, I guess you could program it to take each frame and render it for 20-30 minutes with no optimizations, all of the poly and textures, and the aa/af at max with 64x sampling if you want. It could still be called "in-game." Either way, the game you buy on the shelf won't look as good, period.

And Xbox 360 effects? I don't think so, LOL! That mechanical thing on the left has a drop shadow... A drop shadow, on the sky in the background...

its not a drop shadow it is DOF, it bleeds. if you've ever experimented with dof you'd know that it happens.

here is a pic from an earlier officially confirmed realtime screenshot off of bungie.net

c3510a4e.jpg

heh, investigate how the tech works. before you start telling me what i know. drop shadow my arse.

i brightened it up so you could see cause its a dark image but the 'drop shadow' effect is still there, its simply how the depth of field works.

it looked worse on this screenshot becuase the part it was bleeding from was black in the first place, this effect continues all along but its not as easy to see cause its bleeding from a lighter source and different colours.

this is likely at the highest LOD possible ingame and will probably not reflect the actual gameplay visuals

i will leave this thread at that.

it may be prerendered on or it may not be, but i am certain its not and thats my opinion, if i am wrong i will come back and apologize.

Edited by Shetland

I thought he was talking about the depth of field, I am still not sure what he is talking about, the aliasing along the edges? a AA filter maybe.

It COULD well be that the chief is pasted on but i have seen that level of detail in this game running realtime and therefore will bet its realtime.

It obviously wont run like that in PLAY but for realtime cutscenes i -know- it is possible.

have you ever head of LOD? this is likely the highest level of detail and the engine would scale down texture size and polygons depending on how far away it is, you wouldnt notice it though.

the trailer map likely has it locked at highest.

and thankyou, yes he obviously knows more than me, despite realtime 3d being my job and knowing the first two halo engines inside out.

I dont mean to come off arrogant but if you disagree with me you could at least argue otherwise rather than calling me a liar.

You should read my edit, I supported you over the other guy because you were right on the DOF part.

oh sorry i thought you said "what are you saying, depth of field? you dont know as much as the first guy", hehe sorry about my little outburst at you.

anyway my latest post proves that silly drop shadow rumor is simply the DOF bleed.

right arguments all over? LETS DISCUSS THE CONTENT :D

im hoping the new hand-armour has significance :) they dont change things without changing the story to match.

i dont find anything special here. just some rendered images in the game engine. not part of the actual gameplay. i have seen games that look better than this and play better too so the halo series is nothing special to me.

wow has none seen the makeing of the E3 halo 3 trialer on ign if you havent you should watch it cause they say in ther own words that the trialer is from part of the real game and is part of it, and that it is very playable that all they had to do is press Start or somthing

^notuptome2004: that is also true, forgot about that entirely, they also show lots of realtime bits where ppl in the BG flyaround objects.

and yes the trailer was confirmed realtime and this is just another angle of the trailer.

pics look haawt, way better than what is shown in the other camp *looks at tekken 6 and Motorstorm*

:rolleyes:

really hope sony and thier devs get thier heads outta thier @$$?$ and make them games look better and as good or near as good as the pre-rendered crap they showed a while back. Sony are good for creating hype, not good at living upto it tho.

Halo3 might look great, but if it has anything like the gameplay in the overrated Halo/2 it is going to be crap. Another drop in the ocean of FPS'.

Agreed 2 was overrated. I useto have so much fun playing Halo back in the day. Xbox Connect ftw!