Should Xbox break away from MS

Should Xbox break away from MS?  

89 members have voted

1. 1. Should Xbox break away from MS?

• Yes
    • No
    • Not sure

How many people here actually think "microsoft" when they hear xbox. Wouldnt it be a smarter marketing move for MS to spin off its gaming division into an entirely seperate company? People wouldnt associate it with Windows and the BSOD as much and it might actually boost sales

No. Microsoft needs to cement its name in the home media center market and this is just another way to do it.

Also people who don't know how to use their PCs cause BSOD. I have used Windows XP for quite some time and never really ran into any of those problems. Windows is very stable nowadays if you configure it correctly.

The Xbox needs Microsoft in order to survive. I don't remember how much the original Xbox actually lost Microsoft, but a single startup company couldn't afford to lose as much money as they did.

Yes when I see XBOX I think of Microsoft. I don't know why you think of BSOD when seeing the word Microsoft... I hope you haven't had only BSODs in your computer life. I have this P3 machine I'm using right now which has been working for almost 7 years or so, and believe me if I had 2 BSODs in 7 years is too much. Infact if I had to troubleshoot a BSOD I'd find it difficult for sure.

I don't really like the idea of a seperate company, no reason for this I just hink they shouldn't.

Actually when I play my xbox 360 I do tend to forget its made my microsoft. This time i think they've got things right

Some people at work who look at the xbox 360 don't know its made by Ms or just forget

No, it shouldn't. I don't know about you, but most people i know don't think BSOD when they think xbox. My friends and i think Splinter Cell, Halo, and N64 when we think of the xbox.

' date='Jul 6 2006, 01:08' post='587674095']

No. Microsoft needs to cement its name in the home media center market and this is just another way to do it.

Also people who don't know how to use their PCs cause BSOD. I have used Windows XP for quite some time and never really ran into any of those problems. Windows is very stable nowadays if you configure it correctly.

No, people get BSODs because they overclock. I'm not talking about the GPU, I'm talking about the CPU.

For being on topic, no, Xbox and Microsoft are doing fine and yes, I think Microsoft when I see Xbox.

The gaming division is already seperate from the company in a way. I extremely, highly doubt they'd completely break away from the company.

The association to the big name of microsoft, the huge company full of powerfull and clever designers and coders does the xbox a lot of good IMO

No, it shouldn't. I don't know about you, but most people i know don't think BSOD when they think xbox. My friends and i think Splinter Cell, Halo, and N64 when we think of the xbox.

LOL. Well, the last thing that comes to mind when I think of Xbox is N64, but I can't say that BSOD comes to mind, either. I had a BSOD for the first time in years recently and it's just because my RAM was either bad or going bad (I just started using more memory-intensive apps). Before XP/2000 I would definitely associate MS with "unstable", but was impress - and still am - by their improvement since Win98. I still don't really think of Microsoft when talking about the 360 except under certain circumstances.

That being said Xbox dies if they're a standalone company. If it wasn't for Microsoft's cash, the Xbox would be sitting right next to the 3DO and Jaguar in gamers' minds.

The XBOX and gaming divisions (MS Game Studios and XBOX are not the same thing by the way) ARE already effectively seperate entities from MS. The advantage, though, is that MS can use their huge arsenel of resources to back up the XBOX division and collaborate with them uninhibited on things like software and hardware. Why the hell would you want XBOX to split from MS?

Us techies might have a few gripes about Windows, but Microsoft is still a trusted name, and a ubiquitous name, just like Sony is to the vast majority of people despite the recent hatred of technically-minded people who follow their actions.

There are virtually zero reasons why either the gaming division or XBOX division should split from MS, and there are a million advantages to being under the umbrella of MS.

The XBOX and gaming divisions (MS Game Studios and XBOX are not the same thing by the way) ARE already effectively seperate entities from MS. The advantage, though, is that MS can use their huge arsenel of resources to back up the XBOX division and collaborate with them uninhibited on things like software and hardware. Why the hell would you want XBOX to split from MS?

Us techies might have a few gripes about Windows, but Microsoft is still a trusted name, and a ubiquitous name, just like Sony is to the vast majority of people despite the recent hatred of technically-minded people who follow their actions.

There are virtually zero reasons why either the gaming division or XBOX division should split from MS, and there are a million advantages to being under the umbrella of MS.

Well said.

And yes, when I see the Xbox brand name I think Microsoft.

1) I have not had a BSOD in years - literally! So I do not associate BSOD with windows - more associated with bad hardware/drivers.

2) I do not associate the XBOX with Windows

I see no need to do this.

1) I have not had a BSOD in years - literally! So I do not associate BSOD with windows - more associated with bad hardware/drivers.

2) I do not associate the XBOX with Windows

I see no need to do this.

I agree with all points

I've had 2 bsod's in 6 years and they were in year1 when i was new to hardware.

most people DO NOT KNOW WHAT A BSOD is never mind associate microsoft with it.

BSODs only come about in winxp when someone messes with things they shouldnt.

and no xbox should not break away from MS

haha ironically i actually forgot all about the BSOD until this thread.. but yeah in relation to the OP .. i associate XBOX with itself really.. and Microsoft owns it.. as microsoft really is just the leader of a group of **** loads of divions, xbox, windows, hotmail, etc etc

Silliest thread poll I've seen yet...

Microsoft will always be associated with windows (and vice versa). The xbox will never be associated with windows (or at least I don't see how)...the OP's point is an overgeneralization.

The xbox and windows are two seperate branches, how can you even consider that people link them?

But the question is, what exactly is the problem? The xbox is not suffering, and even if the xbox was brought over to a different division name, the Japanese would still have an anti-affinity towards it.

Edited by Alpha2004

No, people get BSODs because they overclock. I'm not talking about the GPU, I'm talking about the CPU.

For being on topic, no, Xbox and Microsoft are doing fine and yes, I think Microsoft when I see Xbox.

I don't OC and I sometimes get bsod.

^ You either have old VIA chipset, charged your PC with lots of static electricity when you made it or are running BETA drivers. WHQL is made so people don't run unstable drivers. Also BSOD usually let you know what's wrong with your computer and you can fix it. If you don't fix it right away and just reboot your computer it's your own fault if it BSODs on you again.

It would be a very bad move for Microsoft seperate and would seriously hurt the Xbox. They would rather just kill it off.