Matrix XII's Chromehounds Review

Well I've played the crap out of the game for the past couple days, here's my review. Read it, feel free to comment on it, and give your own impressions of the game as well.

Chromehounds is the best mech game I've ever played. Yes I've played the Armored Core series, both Mechassault games, and the Mechwarrior games back in the day (although I haven't played Steel Battalion). All of them are fun, but this is definitely the deepest and most fun mech game I've ever played. The customization is flawless, the graphics are very good, I don't know what people are complaining about. Aside from the bad building textures, CH delivers some of the best explosions and smoke graphics I've seen to date.

The single player is almost non existant, and it just preps you for the online battle. There are six different story branches for each of the RT's (role types). They're quite easy and short, but I don't really think anyone was expecting a big single player experience after all we've heard. This game is NOT for single players I assure you. The online experience is great, you can take part in the Neroimus war, which is a lot of fun and you really feel like you're making a difference. When you go up against humans 6 vs 6 in a battle and win, it really feels like you've accomplished something because every mech has the potential to be so powerful, and it really isn't as easy as people say. Most of the reviewers I'm sure haven't taken part in the Neroimus war in an intense battle.

One of the reasons that CH is so much fun is that it takes so much teamwork and brains to win a match. It's not run and gun by any means. Your commander is crucial, he's the only one that can see where enemy troops are and the COMBAS towers (allow you to communicate through voice chat) is a really interesting and unique touch. If you are out of range of a COMBAS tower you will not be able to communicate with your teammates which makes it essential to plan where to take them over and not to stray too far away from your teammates.

When you first get in the game, the menus can be a bit daunting as there is so much to do you can feel a bit overwhelmed. After a couple hours of being schooled by my clanmates (they got the game earlier than me, damn west coast) I had learned how to build a hound and most everything to do with the game. Once you get your feet running it's not too hard.

The game so far seems really well balanced as there is six different types of RT (role types) you can use. Sniper, defender, heavy gunner, commander, soldier, and scout. You can make hybrids of those or build your mech however you want.

I've used a strictly heavy gunner and I've made a soldier-sniper hybrid which works great. The customization is really fun. There are a lot of different aspecs in building your hound, as weight, power, and the placement of your weapons does make a difference. You can have a max of 4 different weapons, but you can technically have more weapons that four if it's under the total weight allowed for your hound. For example, you could choose 2 rocket launchers, 1 sniper, 1 howitzer, and 1 machine gun. Since you have 2 of the same weapon you can choose to fire them both at the same time (the rocket launchers) therefore letting you have 5 weapons technically. It doesn't work with too much more because your weight gets up there, depending on the hound you want, and how fast you want it. You can increase the weight by the different base (legs, wheels, etc) that you choose for your hound, the more weight allowed the slower it walks. It's really about your speed to power ratio, and it's all up to you.

The one thing that I don't like about the game however is that your teammates are not marked other than a very small radar to the bottom right of the screen. In mid battle it can get pretty hectic and it's not uncommon for you to shoot your teammates so you have to be really careful and communicate. This game is really based on teamplay so lone soldiers, this is not a game for you.

Another nice touch to the game is that you can decal your hound with clan colors, logo, and such. That is one way to descriminate your hound over enemy ones.

The biggest point I can make to someone who is on the fence about buying the game is that you really, really need to have either a group of friends or a clan to play with. I can understand why the game is getting low scores to a point, and that is solely because it's not for the average gamer just getting in to a mech game. On the other hand neither is WoW. You can't really survive in that game without joining a guild, and you can sort of think of it the same way in Chromehounds. You need to have a clan to play with, to get money, and to take part in the Neroimus war, which is the bread and butter of the game.

Presentation - 8 (The menus are pretty good and the game is polished.)

Graphics - 8.5 (The mechs and explosions look great, but the terrain can be a bit bland and the buildings could use some work.)

Sound - 8 (The menu music can get a bit annoying after a while, but it's not torturous. The in game music and sound effecs are good, just what you'd expect.)

Gameplay - 9 (The hounds control well, and the aiming system is good, although some people think otherwise. In a real mech you don't see a crosshair right in front of you, so why would you in a game? This is more of a sim than MA. It really is a lot of fun.)

Lasting Appeal - 9.5 (With the Neroimus war constantly going on, there are countless hours to spend on this game. Just make sure you have a group or clan to play with.)

Overall - 8.9 (A very deep online experience that is unrivaled on the Xbox 360. It is a well rounded, fun experience, but this is a game for people who are in a group or clan, and aren't cursed with ADD. You will need some patience, this is not an arcade mech game, but not entirely a sim either. It's a great mix of both leading to a solid online experience. This game would deserve over a 9, but the single player is so lacking it does take away from certain gamers looking for a single player mech game.

I realize I just used the same criteria as IGN, give me a break, it's late ;)

Kick Ass Review. (Y)

Depending on which game ships next, I have either this, BFME II, or Over G coming from GameFly next, so I might be checking this game out very soon. Now I am looking forward to this game more than I ever was.

Thanks for taking the time to do this. :yes:

You're welcome guys, just trying to shed a bit of positive light on the game. It's getting some low scores, but also a couple of good ones, this shows you that the game is either a hate it or love it experience, which it basically is. If you like mech games, and have a clan, this game will be a lot of fun for you :)

Fantastic review Matrix. (Y)

The lack of single player seems a bit daunting to me, however. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy MP games, but I think games need to be balanced between SP and MP to make it perfect.

Nice this game shipped yesterday. Im really interested in the customizaation of the hounds. Can't wait for it to get here.

If you like customising your hound, then you are in for a treat. ;) Just watch this video and you'll get an idea.

I was surprised that this game got low scores than I expected but I think thats mainly due to the SP lacking. Overall sounds like a really fun game.

Thanks for the review (Y)

I played the demo for this, and I have to say that I've added Chromehounds to The Outfit and Blazing Angels as one of the s***tiest games to grace the 360. Graphics are decent, but the gameplay is slow as molasses. I mean, it's SLOW. If you're expecting something like Virtual On or MechAssault, you'll be sorely disappointed. DO NOT BUY THIS GAME W/O PLAYING THE DEMO FIRST!

Well the war was won once already, and my clan was on the winning side, Morskoj... We all got a special medal for it :D

I played the demo for this, and I have to say that I've added Chromehounds to The Outfit and Blazing Angels as one of the s***tiest games to grace the 360. Graphics are decent, but the gameplay is slow as molasses. I mean, it's SLOW. If you're expecting something like Virtual On or MechAssault, you'll be sorely disappointed. DO NOT BUY THIS GAME W/O PLAYING THE DEMO FIRST!

I would say actually the opposite. I played the demo and it didn't make me want to play the game at all, but after playing the retail version online and with friends, the game is definitely worth a look.

One thing i think that turns people off about this game is that it has a very steep learning curve. It is by no means a game you just pick up and your off and running pwning noobs. It took me a day or to to fully understand (still learning) the game and how to move/shoot and design your hound.

once you get over the inital hump and get into some deep down dirty tactical fighting its quite fun

Yeah I know lol, same thing happens to me its really frustrating eh?

and Netrack I agree with you, it has a very steep learning curve.