Using 360 for DVDs

G'day mates. I figured I'd put this post in the gaming section in hopes more people who have a 360 will reply.

My question is about watching DVDs on the 360. Have any of you noticed a "wrong" display with your widescreen movies? Reason I ask is because on my Samsung 1080i HDTV, the top and bottom black bars appear wrong. I took a ruler and measured from the perimeter of the screen (top right and left corners) and then measured the middle portion of the screen and the black bars appear to bulge in the middle; they are the same length on the corners but it gets wider in the middle. I got the Digital Video Essentials disc and calibrated my TV the best I could but same result (although the picture is alot better).

Is this just a case of the 360 not being good for watching DVDs? I must admit, I'm not an audiophile nor a videophile...this is more for just my curiousity.

Maybe it's your PAL setting?

I'm using an SDTV, so can't say I know. But there have been reports that 360 DVDs look horrible. But, I can't see anything wrong.

Well, i have issues with the 360 as my dvd player, but not like that. That sounds more like a TV setting, like zoom or something.

You dont have zoom or anything on do you, on the TV i mean?

No zoom, the TV is on 16:9. I'm not sure what the problem is, as the same thing happens with my Xbox1. It might just be a TV issue, which wouldn't surprise me as my HDTV was $699...almost bargain price.

PureLegend, im in US so I have NTSC equipment and not PAL.

Thanks for the suggestions :)

I use my XBOX 360 for DVD Playback as my DVD Player decided to not turn on one day. Mine works perfectly. I actually enjoy two features on the Xbox 360 when it comes to DVD Playback. One being the saving of where you left off on the film, even if you take the disc out, and the second is the "unable to read disk" feature. I had a bad disk that was scratched and most other players will try to read it then stop playing saying unreadable disk. The 360 kept trying and skipped over the bad spot and kept playing.

-LA>

Well, something odd happened. I went into the 360 settings and put it to 720p, started up the movie, and it appeared correctly (I did the "ruler test"). So, I put it back to 1080i, restart the movie and it shows correctly. It has to be something with my Samsung although I'm not exactly sure what.

And I agree, I like using the 360 for movies, which is why I was a little worried about it.

Yeah some HDTVs have problems changing resolutions, I hate that. I must change my 360 to 480p and again to 720p to make my TV tune correctly into it or I will get lots of strange artifacts.

If you use the Microsoft X360 VGA cable for your TV, it will actually UPSCALE the DVDs!

What you are describing sounds a lot like the distortion that the "Panorama" mode of some Samsung TVs have. Is yours a samsung?

That said, it also exhibited similar traits on my trusted JVC (so I NEVER use "Panorama" mode - it's a corruption of a picture ON PURPOSE in my eyes).

What you are describing sounds a lot like the distortion that the "Panorama" mode of some Samsung TVs have. Is yours a samsung?

That said, it also exhibited similar traits on my trusted JVC (so I NEVER use "Panorama" mode - it's a corruption of a picture ON PURPOSE in my eyes).

It is a Samsung but it wasn't happening in Panorama mode. I know what you're talking about though, it bends in the middle - I haven't found a good reason for Panorama mode to be honest. This was happening in the regular 16x9 mode. It's been fine ever since I switched to 720p and back though.

:wacko:

It's been fine ever since I switched to 720p and back though.

:wacko:

@ Microsoft we call that a "random feature" :devil: :laugh: :rofl: :p :shifty: :whistle: