soft modding a XBOX

what is soft modding?

because if its a program on a disc that i can buy so that i am able to burn games to the harddrive i want it...

how big(GB) is the xbox harddrive?

Soft modding is using an exploit found in a few different games to install a custom dashboard which adds functionality. The Xbox hard drive is 8GB or 10GB. Check this site out for tutorials on what to do. Remember, you can't play on Xbox Live when it is soft modded.

then whats the mod that allows you to burn games to the harddrive?

is it hard to install a new harddrive? because i have a spare 40gb maxtor laying around....

There is a program usually included in the soft mod called DVD to Hard drive or something like that. I'm not sure what it's called I've never used it. Installing a new hard drive is not too hard. There is a tutorial on tat page for that too.

shhhh this talk is illegal.. and don't say soft modding isnt, its still modding, and if it was legal, then you wouldnt need an exploit to use it.. can a mod clearify?

It definitely is illegal. I'm just pointing him to a place that tells him how to do it, not telling him to do it or how to do it.

Basically steps you need if you already do not have a modded box

- exploitable game (i use org 007 agent under fire)

- mem card or usbkey and usb adapter or ports on xbox (you need to put the softmod installer as a save file for that game)

- once the save file is copied to the hd, run the game and load that save file

- follow instructions

- ftp in and get hddkey/info

- use xboxhdm to build your new drive on the pc, with the hddkey you got, and the transfer it to the xbox

now you have a larger hd, and it is softmodded to allow unsigned code to run (homebrew/apps/emus/whatever)

There are obviously points I have left out, and other methods to do this, and tons of softmod installers each with their pros and cons. This is only a very breif description of one method. . I suggest go to xbox-scene and check out the forums . . they have a lot of good people with tonnes of knowledge. :D

oh and the app used to backup games to the hdd is DVD2Xbox . . but you first need to get you xbox setup before you need this

Good luck bud