XP SP2b?

Windows XP SP2b seems to have appeared in Japan. It is somehow strange because at the shops, there are boxes which are labelled SP2b but Microsoft has not make any official announcement of a SP2b.

There is no special marking for the CDROM except the box that holds it (see picture).

The XP Professional SP2b retails for 19210 Yen and XP Home Edition SP2b retails for 12780 Yen.

images814536im9.jpg

source: http://www.ocwforums.com/bbs/showthread.php?p=387134

Windows XP SP2b seems to have appeared in Japan. It is somehow strange because at the shops, there are boxes which are labelled SP2b but Microsoft has not make any official announcement of a SP2b.

There is no special marking for the CDROM except the box that holds it (see picture).

The XP Professional SP2b retails for 19210 Yen and XP Home Edition SP2b retails for 12780 Yen.

<image snipped>

source: http://www.ocwforums.com/bbs/showthread.php?p=387134

Hmm, strange. Can anyone shed some light onto this?

actually it is not fake at all it is simply the asian version most versions of Windows that are in asia or usually the b version.

Well, it's just making it's way over here, (uk) dabs and ebuyer (only ones I've checked) both carry it, so just gonna assume it's a "latest patch" version to remove the amount of updates needed on a fresh load.

i guess it's a mid-patch update to remove useless code, and to install latest updates.. Not sure when SP2b was launched, but i can assume it's got all the latest updates included.

actually it is not fake at all it is simply the asian version most versions of Windows that are in asia or usually the b version.

Bingo!

Probably fake...I wouldn't trust any software from that region.

LOL @ y00!

Most copies of Windows for Australia / Japan etc are actually mastered in Singapore - and I trust my Windows XP license.

Well i wish they do come out with SP2B with all the latest update to save us download all over again. And Just allow us to slipstream those inside.

Try Autopatcher, there's a subforum on the neowin forum that has all the info on it.

I think they also make a slipstream program to intergrate all the updates into a new XP install CD.

Why not have the XP SP3?

Because there are no new features. That's my guess anyways.

Plus SP3 = after Vista.

Why not have the XP SP3?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_XP#Service_Pack_3

Windows XP Service Pack 3 is currently in development. It will be released after Windows Vista has been finished; presently, Microsoft's web site indicates a "preliminary" release date of "second half 2007" for Service Pack 3. However, if Windows Vista is delayed further, Service Pack 3 may also be delayed. Service Pack 3 may include Internet Explorer 7, Windows Media Player 11, and many other changes, as well as technologies initially created for Windows Vista, but Microsoft has not made any official statement on feature sets. It is likely that many of the features added with Service Pack 3 will be features from Vista, backported to work with XP after its final release.

A document on Microsoft's web site suggests that Service Pack 3 will include additional support for doing true "per-user" application installing. Another page suggests improvements to managing the list of "hidden" wireless networks.