MySpace is Crap - a web developers view

In thinking about how much trouble I just had this morning logging in (three login attempts and then the home page had to be refreshed a couple of times, then I went to read a message and it took 5 minutes to load) I think MySpace definately has its place. The best think it has going for it is that it transends Yahoo, MSN, AOL etc.

You know, all of you complain about coding and illegibilty. When actaully NORMAL people read everything clearly and don't complain about 'coding'.

When I say 'NORMAL', I mean people who don't spend 3+ hours a day on the computer and people who don't spend countless hours hanging out in forums.

Are these the same NORMAL people who sit around and forward spam to everyone, use expired antivirus, and have no idea how to use the computer outside of AOL?

Being a professional web developer and .NET developer, I usually work on enterprise projects that have a real clean layout for intranet purposes. A lot of my outside work is the same, usually up-scale business wanting something pretty nice. MySpace is far from nice at all.

I don't think anyone here is COUNTING the user generated code either. The template pages and code is terrible. Terrible table setups along with interlacing backgrounds in some instances. The code for the website login system must be horrendous or tediously checking your data over 1200 times because it is definitely not very quick. MySpace would run 100x better with any developer who knew anything about programming on a large scale. But hey, they got their money and ran.

And Ruiz, NORMAL people complain about MySpace just as much as the next person, there are many articles on the subject, but the fact is, teenagers don't care as long as it's up running. And BTW, making a general reference that people who spend 3+ hours on a computer during the day are NOT NORMAL is a very stereotypical comment and rude at best. My work is on a computer. I don't have much choice, go back to changing oil like I did in College or make some real money and do something with it. I guess I'm NOT NORMAL.

You know, all of you complain about coding and illegibilty. When actaully NORMAL people read everything clearly and don't complain about 'coding'.

When I say 'NORMAL', I mean people who don't spend 3+ hours a day on the computer and people who don't spend countless hours hanging out in forums.

Do you know what bad coding means: Security holes - Users can post malicious Javascript files and such because Myspace does not filter them. I've seen some peoples' pages crash my browser; Slow Load - I've heard of people trying to add new friends for weeks but loosing patience very quickly. Logging In - the cookie system they have is horrible, as I have to login like everytime I want to do something. O_o

Design - The Myspace design is so ugly, so out of date, and so unusuable it's pathetic. It has horrible accessability, is not appealing to the eyes and such.

It is amazing to me how such a site ever got so popular as it is a POS in almost every area. The only upside to the whole program is it's amplitude as it's very easy to find people.

I'm fifteen and I could code a more efficient program. They use a combination of Coldfusion and ASP, which is :x . They should have hired a good coder, got it done with PHP & Mysql and been done with it.

im probably one of the few who wont ever use myspace...although i am on facebook but that is a much more of a college oreiented site with a good site layout.

I agree about the design and its usefulness.

I use MySpace only for sending messages with my few friends who have MySpace accounts. My profile just has a link to my Web site.

I dont really even care about the design (colors and layout) I care much more about fuctionality - better yet I care that the functions that are available actually work. For example - logging in.

And considering the fact that there's millions of myspace user accounts, with there emails, and passwords all over the net makes me not even want to type in myspace.com

Well I must be one of the very few that actually use myspace here, the only reason I do use it is because I use it to keep in contact with friends.

I have done website coding and I agree some of it is terrible, it wouldn't pass any standard but I am blame that on these profile generators.

God I hate myspace. It looks terrible and everyone I know has one except me because I pwn.

Too right man, it sucks :D

Are these the same NORMAL people who sit around and forward spam to everyone, use expired antivirus, and have no idea how to use the computer outside of AOL?

YES. Those normal people. Because they don't need a computer to run their lives and their life doesn't revolve around a computer.

Edit: I'd also like to mention, that the people who usually foward spam, use expired antivirus, and have no idea how to use a computer are GIRLS. You have to understand, girls think in different ways.

YES. Those normal people. Because they don't need a computer to run their lives and their life doesn't revolve around a computer.

Edit: I'd also like to mention, that the people who usually foward spam, use expired antivirus, and have no idea how to use a computer are GIRLS. You have to understand, girls think in different ways.

Dont stop now you're on a role. So the problem has so far been isolated down to "Normal Girls". I wonder if we can get more specific than that. Maybe its just the Blonde Normal Girls or the Webbed Feet normal girls.

That's funny about the poster who says the only people that complain about Myspace are those that do not have "friends" on it. It's a shame you have to lie to yourself to justify why some people may bash it. I think I had about 10 people adding me within the first day that I signed up, which was one of the factors that led me to delete my account. It felt like a meat market of mentally challenged attention ######. I'm not going to be so bold as to label everyone on it like that because that's silly. However, I felt that was the general consensus of the site.

My frustration with Myspace was constantly receiving internal error messages when trying to edit my account/profile or accessing other pages. I have never used an online service that presented me with so many error messages. Perhaps that is wat the author of this thread meant by poorly coded.

I liek myspace. It's nice to see how my friends from years ago are doing. Too bad someone from Neowin didn't start it. So much jelously about myspace...

Well the website itself may not be bad. It's the users that make odd pages that make the website look bad. There's a reason why it's called "MySpace". It's "space" that belongs to a user. I must admit I've seen some pretty ugly pages, heh. You guys should consider the amount of web traffic they have with all the uploading/downloading of pages, themes, user settings, etc.

But even the non users pages are poorly designed. It's not just the users one, which are admittedly worse. Often its hard to get to where you want to get on the site I find, certain navigation links are absent or hidden away.

Dont stop now you're on a role. So the problem has so far been isolated down to "Normal Girls". I wonder if we can get more specific than that. Maybe its just the Blonde Normal Girls or the Webbed Feet normal girls.

I'm "on a role"? Lol, what are you trying to do? Add fuel to a fire that's not even there? Your little blonde, webbed-feet sarcasm joke doesn't do anything either. If you really wanted to me to be more specific, then you should've just asked.

But yes, usually it's young teenage girls that don't need to know everything about a computer in order to use it as another form of communication, whether it be through email, IM, or MySpace. You may not like the annoying spam that they send, but maybe their girlfriends do and so on. Their MySpace is like their own personal portfolio. If they want to sparkle some glitter on their profile, they can, they're just making a personal statement. And their friends actually dig it.

And if they get a virus along the way, it'll eventually get fixed or they'll just have their computer replaced... problem solved.

Yeah I just think its pretty stereotypical view. Theres plenty of men who cant use PC's. I mean if you are using young teenage girls as an example how often is it actually their computer they are actually using as opposed to it being a family or parents PC? Really if the owner sets it up right the teenage girl shouldnt even have to know about how to update virus definitions ect. It's a very small percentage of teenage girls (and teenagers in general) that would likely be able to afford or own a pc of their own.

Sorry if I was overly offensive, guess it came off strong but like I said it was a pretty stereotypical statement you made saying in most cases girls are the problem.

On the topic of viruses. Wasnt it about a month ago that Myspace reportedly infected many a pc when an ad included code that exploited a hole on non patched pc's. It's definetly an issue on the users end for not updating windows but likewise its a problem on myspaces end when such malicious code is allowed to be present. Being an advertisement wouldnt that code have actually been from the myspace crew...I duno, another problem on their part it seems to me.

Anyone tech minded knows Myspace is a waste of time, you get loads more control with your own hosting and wordpress or similar. MySpace is only popular because people who can't code want an easy way to post crap about themselves that noone reads.

Yeah I just think its pretty stereotypical view. Theres plenty of men who cant use PC's. I mean if you are using young teenage girls as an example how often is it actually their computer they are actually using as opposed to it being a family or parents PC? Really if the owner sets it up right the teenage girl shouldnt even have to know about how to update virus definitions ect. It's a very small percentage of teenage girls (and teenagers in general) that would likely be able to afford or own a pc of their own.

Many teenagers get a computer from their parents. Concerning family or parents computers; with few exceptions, this generation of parents really know squat about computers. How are they going to setup their network properly and install/update anti-virus utilities when they hardly know how to turn on the pc and use Word?