Photo

Master password for a Hitachi hard drive?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
28 replies to this topic

#1 ataris_kid

ataris_kid

YARRRRR

Posted 25 July 2006 - 20:19

Is there a master password for Hitachi hard drives? I've searched for about an hour with no luck. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

#2 +Medfordite

Medfordite

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 2
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy Axiom

Posted 25 July 2006 - 20:20

Is there a master password for Hitachi hard drives? I've searched for about an hour with no luck. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Huh?

The hard drive would not have a factory set password unless someone put it on there after it was manufactured.

What exactly are you trying to do?

#3 Olemus

Olemus

Neowinian Senior

Posted 25 July 2006 - 20:22

Are we talking a boot up password or a windows Xp password?

#4 OP ataris_kid

ataris_kid

YARRRRR

Posted 25 July 2006 - 20:27

Neither. A password for accessing the actual hard drive. Apparently one of our users set a hard drive password.. and they're not with us anymore. So we're stuck with a hard drive that doesn't work unless we can get a master password to unlock the drive. :blush:

#5 Phalesafe

Phalesafe

Mista Sparkelo™

Posted 25 July 2006 - 20:31

I think the only way around it is to format the partition. You could do a quick format and then use data recovery software to get the info off the drive if any is necessary. In the future you should have BIOS passwords enabled so users cant alter those specific settings.

#6 OP ataris_kid

ataris_kid

YARRRRR

Posted 25 July 2006 - 20:35

It was before I was here.. I'm not sure exactly what happened. And the password we're talking about isn't stored on the actual hard drive, but in the firmware. I can't do anything to the drive without a password.. ie. format, repartition, log into windows, etc.

#7 Olemus

Olemus

Neowinian Senior

Posted 25 July 2006 - 20:37

Replacing the HD seems like the only way forward or contact the manufacturer they may have some way of "hacking" into the firmware and deleting the passwords!

#8 Dessimat0r

Dessimat0r

Neowinian Senior

Posted 25 July 2006 - 20:38

http://www.hitachigs...caa/dcaaeis.htm

Here you go, you can use the reset pin on the hard disk.

#9 Phalesafe

Phalesafe

Mista Sparkelo™

Posted 25 July 2006 - 20:39

Ohh its one of those new drives with nand memory to store that stuff. I'm sorry but I have no idea how to get around that :/ Call hitachi there might be a jumper or something on the hdd to reset it.

Lol Dessimator found it :laugh:

#10 OP ataris_kid

ataris_kid

YARRRRR

Posted 25 July 2006 - 20:43

Hm... how would one go about doing this on a laptop hard drive? I should've mentioned that before, I'm sorry. Thanks for looking into this for me guys.

#11 killacronix

killacronix

Neowinian

Posted 02 November 2009 - 12:26

It was before I was here.. I'm not sure exactly what happened. And the password we're talking about isn't stored on the actual hard drive, but in the firmware. I can't do anything to the drive without a password.. ie. format, repartition, log into windows, etc.

Ok...... So the only other option you have to use in this option sinse you can not login or use this drive is to take it out of the laptop or desktop, server doc and place the hard drive either in a usb hard drive case or use a sata to usb connection or the older connector you can get for hard drives and then plug the usb into another oporating hard drive goto start then right click on my computer and select the manage button and then select the disk utilitys button i think then from there you well see the name of the hard drive and the size you want to format from there you need to right click on it and select the format button.......... This problem can also be caused by a deactivated drive you can reactivate it by a botton by the left hand side of the at the middle of the far left where the drive you want to fix there well be a lil icon there in the middle all the way at the end of the discription link on "the left hand side!" there right on the icon you well right click on it and select i think it's activate partition? I for got what it was exactly cause i dont use windows xp nor windows vista so I think you well have to look around if these instrutions are two tough for you. but your problem will be salved from the partition manager section. There you go unless the drive is completely broken "corrupt" you will fix it in either of these ways. Hope i helped. Don't flame if this not helping you, It wouldn't be my fault if ur two stupid to fallow these instructions and not have enough brains and computer skillz to know what else you can do in that aria. I found this information my self and if you can't do it your self do not flame dumb ass! or you might not ever frind this information on the net again! it's hard to find just anylizing programs budz trust me! But eh hopei helped eh? Oh and either way with this method you well be able to format the drive trust me tested many times! just make sure you fully format the drive not just quick format or data well corrupt on drive latter on if you don't format fully. Takes very long with slow pc's

#12 Richard Hammond

Richard Hammond

Neowinian Senior

Posted 02 November 2009 - 12:29

Er how is that going to get around a password locked drive, i dont think it will be as simple as just looking in disk manager and reinitialising it?

#13 hdood

hdood

Neowinian Senior

Posted 02 November 2009 - 12:31

Neither. A password for accessing the actual hard drive. Apparently one of our users set a hard drive password.. and they're not with us anymore. So we're stuck with a hard drive that doesn't work unless we can get a master password to unlock the drive. :blush:

Is there no possibility of getting the password from the user? Have you tried contacting the manufacturer/OEM to see if they have a way of creating an override password?

Here you go, you can use the reset pin on the hard disk.

No, you cannot. That simply restarts the disk in the same fashion as hitting the reset button on your computer would restart it.

#14 killacronix

killacronix

Neowinian

Posted 02 November 2009 - 12:45

Hm... how would one go about doing this on a laptop hard drive? I should've mentioned that before, I'm sorry. Thanks for looking into this for me guys.

well on the reply i gave you on the last one abbove it mentioned you well need to take it out of the pc you have so you well need two take the cover off then also have a (well) thinking it's a newer laptop year 2002+ you well have a sata hard drive ata complyable so make sure you get a sata female usb hub and plug your drive in to your spare pc as said in the last post i posted and fallow all steps as mentioned if you can't take the hard drive out. You are offisialy screwedunless you areunder warrenty in this case you well need to take it to a local care center and get them to take it out for you and suggest to purchase this drive off them as you well be formatting the drive then useing a data recovery to get ur information back. That is all you can do right now sorry if this don't help you eh?

Ps. your hard drive might be a male slot drive as well this you well have to find out your self what kind of usb hub you well need for your personal hard drive good luck! and be nice eh? baggers aren't choosers! peace out!

Er how is that going to get around a password locked drive, i dont think it will be as simple as just looking in disk manager and reinitialising it?

I did not say reinstall it i said format it or you can try to reactivate it way different things budz your thinking or hardware management not disk management this well allow you to format it or if the drive is deactivated also prevents access to the drive in this case you have an option to reactivate it from the second option it's more complicated then just reinstalling the driver for the hard drive it's either reactivating the drive or formating the drive the only two option for this problem other wise your screwed sorry budz

#15 hdood

hdood

Neowinian Senior

Posted 02 November 2009 - 12:45

well on the reply i gave you on the last one abbove it mentioned you well need to take it out of the pc

Are you sure that you understand the problem? The problem isn't that he can't log onto the installed OS, the problem is that the hard drive itself has a password set. You need the password to access the drive. Without it you can't do anything, not even format it. The "activate" option in disk management you keep going on about is actually for setting a partition as bootable (active), and has nothing to do with this topic.

Edited by hdood, 02 November 2009 - 12:51.

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!