Buying Xbox 360 Premium System w/ Wired Pad?

If I ever decided to buy an Xbox 360 Premium System, I'd want a wired pad, not a wireless pad. Do you think shops would swap them for me?

I don't think they would. The packages are sold as a whole, but you never know.

Why would you want a wired controller anyways? The wireless is so nice and I've never had any problems with it.

Why would you want a wired controller anyways? The wireless is so nice and I've never had any problems with it.

I'm guessing for PC use.

I would just buy a cheap second hand wired one, as there's bound to people on the core that have upgraded theirs.

I don't think they would. The packages are sold as a whole, but you never know.

I'm guessing for PC use.

I would just buy a cheap second hand wired one, as there's bound to people on the core that have upgraded theirs.

Just never been a fan of wireless, charging, batteries etc.

... and surely there must be a minute (not minute as in second/hour), slight delay when pressing buttons? I mean, it's wireless :s

Its called delay. There is going to be more delay with wireless then wired. Don't say there is no delay. It even takes time on wired controllers for the signal to get to the 360, it's incredibly small but it still exists. The ultimate gamers usually play with wired. I know the difference isn't really noticeable but if I was trying to get #1 rank on a game I would be using wired controllers for sure.

For all intents and purposes (i.e. what you can notice), there is no delay. Think about how you can call a person on a mobile phone many miles away and it's usually instant - now compare that to the distance the controller will be from the console.

As for batteries, decent alkalines last a good few weeks of pretty intense gaming. I use a set of 4 rechargeable AAs so that I can keep a set in the controller and always have a spare charged.

I have a wired controller too (for PC and multiplayer use) but I much prefer the wireless for regular use.

The package is $400 in the USA (which is roughly ?213), but sells for ?279 in the UK. How annoyin:/:/

Why would they open a sealed box and swap the pad for a wired pad, not to mention how are they meant to sell the unboxed wireless pad.

I was just wondering if there were other packages available or something.

They might let you swap for a used pad.

BTW, there's no noticable delay with the wireless controller. Like you, I thought I'd be able to notice some kind of delay, but I don't. Good stuff.

And, about the PC concerns...

the-new-wireless-fleet-20060508113015579-000.jpg

The Xbox 360 Wireless Gaming Receiver for Windows (release date: fall, price TBD) enables players who use both consoles and PCs to attach wireless accessories to their PC. Using a simple USB port, players can plug this tool into their PC permitting other wireless controllers and accessories to be used with their PC.

Announced at E3 2006, released sometime soon.

Delay? lol..... This isn't a mouse with 800/1600DPI trying to transfer larger amounts of data to a PC. Microsoft spent billions of dollars to ensure that people couldn't say that.

If a man can play Geoemtry wars and make it past 24 million points on a wireless controller, there is NO lag.

That is probably one of the fastest games out currently.

Delay? lol..... This isn't a mouse with 800/1600DPI trying to transfer larger amounts of data to a PC. Microsoft spent billions of dollars to ensure that people couldn't say that.

If a man can play Geoemtry wars and make it past 24 million points on a wireless controller, there is NO lag.

That is probably one of the fastest games out currently.

well said, wireless is very nice compared to the wired version...i dont think id ever go back

There really is no delay and you probably won't believe any of us that say there isn't any, but you just have to try it yourself. Go to a friends house or a store where they have the wireless controllers on display and play any Xbox 360 game... you will most definitely not notice a delay. So the argument of not getting a wireless because you're afraid of the delay isn't very valid.

What is valid, however, is the battery replacement concerns. But even that isn't as bad as you may think. Me and my bro put at 6 or so hours per day on our wireless controllers and only need to swap (or plug in the play and charge cord to charge) the batteries once every 2 weeks or so, so it's not as bad as you might think.

Regardless, if you really are adamant about not getting the wireless controller then you should just buy the premium, sell the Wireless on eBay or something and buy the Wired controller. If it's not used you should be able to get enough money to cover the cost of buying a brand new Wired controller. But I strongly suggest you give the Xbox 360 wireless controller a chance. I gurantee you won't be disappointed. I used to think the same way you do and was very against wireless controllers, but now, especially with 4 players on the same Xbox 360, playing without wireless is so much more enjoyable. And no, there is no delay even with 4 wireless players. I have also played a LAN party with 8 players (early Xbox 360 days with PDZ) and 6 controllers were wireless, 2 were wired... no delay. Fun times! :D

well said, wireless is very nice compared to the wired version...i dont think id ever go back

:yes: And,

Why don't you just get the Play and Charge Kit? Up to 30 hours on the battery and it can plug in to the console [getting rid of having to worry about batteies becuase it's getting it's power from the console. Plus if you got the premium package, and the play and charge kit, you'd have two batteries [60 hours of gaming]. The delay would be so small you wouldn't even be able to notice, you[as in yourself] would be the delay, not the controller.

There really is no delay. It's why Microsoft spent loads of money developing their wireless technology designed to support 4 wireless controllers each with a wireless headset on a single console. They wanted to avoid the problems they'd encounter with bluetooth.

The system is also designed to have multiple Xboxes in the same room, which they tested with over 16 and it worked fine.

Love my wireless pad, there's absolutely no noticable lag. Though it wouldn't be any where near as good if I hadent got the 'play and charge' kit. This comes with a rechargeable battery and a usb cable to charge with when the pad starts running low.

I've had my 360 since launch day, I play it all the time and I've only had to recharge 6 or 7 times, that battery lasts ages! So I just play until the pad starts flashing and then I just pause, plug in the cable, and carry on, couldn't be easier.

AsciiSmoke

As for addressing the concerns between a wired and a wireless controller, the wireless has no delay, runs for a long time with plain old AA batteries, and is just, all around, a better product.

And in response to the question of whether or not you could switch a wireless controller for a wired when buying a premium system? I work retail, and no, you can't. What you might be able to do, however, is open up the system and trade in the wireless controller to go towards the cost of a wired one, if you still wanted to do that.

Also may I suggest the Plug N Play Kit for the battery concerns. I think it was $20, and if you do the math for batteries, it eventually pays for itself in a year or two, and it works like a champ. I never, ever worry about if my wireless controllers not have enough juice. I just make sure to connect them every once in a while, and it never is even an issue.

Go wireless you won't regret it. Using a wired one is like a ball and chain. I bought a standard quick charge battery charger and 4x 2500mah batteries, works perfect.

ever since my laptop and wifi i've been eagerly trying to get rid of all the cables in the house. Now if i could only find wireless power and wireless HDMI cables i'd be 100% cable free! i'll never get cables unless i absolutely have to and that goes for the Xbox too!

There really is no delay. It's why Microsoft spent loads of money developing their wireless technology designed to support 4 wireless controllers each with a wireless headset on a single console. They wanted to avoid the problems they'd encounter with bluetooth.

The system is also designed to have multiple Xboxes in the same room, which they tested with over 16 and it worked fine.

Yeah, now that you said that I remember reading about that. I've had two 360 in the same room and they've found the right controllers no problem.

Also may I suggest the Plug N Play Kit for the battery concerns. I think it was $20, and if you do the math for batteries, it eventually pays for itself in a year or two, and it works like a champ. I never, ever worry about if my wireless controllers not have enough juice. I just make sure to connect them every once in a while, and it never is even an issue.

Post #16 has the link to the Play and Charge Kit if anyone's unsure what that is.

I'm a firm believer that if you have a wireless controller you should have the play and charge kit.