Microsoft: 360 HD-DVD drive will be cheapest

Microsoft: 360 HD-DVD drive will be cheapest

Major Nelson's podcast reveals that the next-gen console's external high-def DVD player will be the least pricey model on market.

While most hardcore gamers believe it's the games that will win the next-gen console war, others believe it will come down to something entirely different--movie playback. Sony has been banking on the PlayStation 3's integrated Blu-ray drive to move its console, and Microsoft has countered with an external HD-DVD drive, set to go on sale later this year.

The high-end models of the PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 are $599 and $399, respectively, but the PS3's price includes the system's Blu-ray drive. Microsoft still has not yet announced a price for the external HD-DVD drive, and its cost could sway the next-gen race.

On the most recent episode of the podcast from Major Nelson, aka Larry Hryb aka Microsoft's director of programming for Xbox Live, Hryb had a few members of the HD-DVD team on his show for an interview. Though they didn't reveal an actual monetary figure for the drive, they did drop a few hints.

Albert Penello, Microsoft's director of global marketing, had this to say about the drive's price. "Here's the truth, we're still thinking about it. Here's what I can tell you for sure, it's going to be the cheapest HD-DVD player you can buy...without a doubt, when it comes out," he said. "Everybody is very enthusiastic with the direction we're going. There's still a few surprises left. I don't want to spill the beans yet, but I think people are going to think it's a great value."

Currently, only a few HD-DVD players are on the market, and they bottom out at just over $420. However, the Xbox 360 external HD-DVD drive won't require all the hardware of a stand-alone HD-DVD player (that will be provided by the Xbox 360), which should cut into its cost.

Penello went on to discuss Microsoft's strategy with movie playback on its next-gen console. "Xbox has always been about choice. It's always been about 'How do you want to game? How do you want to get online? How do you want to communicate with people?' What I'm excited about is that now we're going to say, 'How do you want to pick your next-generation DVD format?' We're not forcing consumers to buy something that may be obsolete, or forcing them to spend a lot of money on something they don't want." He added, "We're not betting our whole console on an unproven media format."

souricon.gif News source: GameSpot

Hmm, how much does a 360 cost? Will the add-on be playable without a 360? I thought the 360 cost $399USD? That would mean the add on would cost less than $20 to make it cheaper than the rest of the market right?

While most hardcore gamers believe it's the games that will win the next-gen console war, others believe it will come down to something entirely different--movie playback. Sony has been banking on the PlayStation 3's integrated Blu-ray drive to move its console, and Microsoft has countered with an external HD-DVD drive, set to go on sale later this year.

Ehh? I think Sony's the only one who is banking on movie playback to help win the console war.

This is good news for people who are in the market. I am curious as to what the 'surprises' are, considering I wouldn't really expect it to do anything more than play HD-DVD's.

-Spenser

Hmm, how much does a 360 cost? Will the add-on be playable without a 360? I thought the 360 cost $399USD? That would mean the add on would cost less than $20 to make it cheaper than the rest of the market right?

I didn't buy a 360 so I could play HD-DVD's though. So as long as the addon is cheaper than other HD-DVD players, it's the cheapest on the market. I suppose I could clarify a bit. If you buy an HD-DVD player, you don't get to play 360 games on it, but if you have a 360, and then buy the cheap HD-DVD addon, you get to play 360 games and watch HD-DVD's for far less than buying both separately. So I really don't think your comment is a very good one, but to each his own.

-Spenser

The 360 core is $299 so it's safe to assume they mean the cheapest if you have the Core. $150 seems like a likely price for it.

Xbox 360 HD DVD Player - Dashboard Interface Tweaks

http://news.teamxbox.com/xbox/11512/Xbox-3...terface-Tweaks/

Today, John Porcaro, a Microsoft employee and member of the Xbox Global Marketing team, has updated the group's Gamerscore blog with some info on how the open tray button in the dashboard will change when you plug in the upcoming Xbox 360 HD DVD player.

The external Xbox 360 HD DVD Player connects with Xbox 360 and includes the Xbox 360 Universal Media Remote. Last month, Microsoft announced it has chosen ATI's H.264 decoder for the Xbox 360 HD DVD player , which is built on ATI's Avivo technology. Commenting on the dashboard modifications, Porcaro said:

One of the questions we've gotten is about what the dashboard interface will be. The team's come up with an interesting way of doing it, basically letting you use the up/down arrow key after selecting the Open Tray button. These aren't final, and are subject to change.

1154985493.jpg

1154985477.jpg

1154985454.jpg

1154985438.jpg

1154985411.jpg

Although it's not final, I don't like it :( . I would prefer 2 seperate bars, rather than that split thing.

Also note the article states the HD-DVD player will include the Universal Media Remote

Can the core system be upgraded so that it has a true high definition output? I can't remember.

what do you mean true high definition, 720P yes...1080P no and no upgrades are needed for this either

Cool, quite a bargain then. I'm still not clued up enough on HD stuff. I'm guessing it won't really matter about not having 1080p.

Interesting theory, but you got 1up'd by stifler6478.
Can the core system be upgraded so that it has a true high definition output? I can't remember.
As PureLegend answered, yes, all you need is to get the cable. You're mistaking the Xbox 360 core with the $500 PS3 system. Nice try though. :yes:

There is no difference between HD output between the two SKU's for the Xbox 360.

I think the dashboard thing looks fine, and the fact that they bundle the remote with it is pretty nice.

-Spenser

I suppose technically that could be true, if one were to consider buying a 360+HDDVD for the sole purpose of watching HD movies. That's an unrealistic point of view though, in my opinion. The only people who will be buying the HD-DVD addon will be those already with a 360 who want to watch HD-DVD movies ... so it's either buy a separate HD-DVD player or purchase the addon to your 360. In that context, I think it's fair to compare the price of addon to standalone HD-DVD players.

Perhaps another price limit that could be considered would be $200. Any more expensive than that and, in terms of functionality as a game console and HD movie player, the 360 and PS3 are on level price ground (negating one of the biggest gripes people seem to have with the PS3).

Although it's not final, I don't like it :( . I would prefer 2 seperate bars, rather than that split thing.

I also felt the same way at first, but realized that if you were to put the HD-DVD UI selection on the right-side of the internal DVD UI selection and you had the physical HD-DVD on the left-side of the physical Xbox 360 it would seem a little awkward to control. Same goes for vice-verca. On top of each other would also be a little awkard, and granted this UI (although may not be finalized) is top/bottom but not a full bar, it's a simple icon selection with the same bar.... so if you think about it, I think this is a nice solution.

Microsoft Demos Xbox HD DVD Drive

By BetaNews Staff, BetaNews

August 8, 2006, 2:23 PM

At the DVD Forum in Los Angeles Monday, Microsoft took the wraps off its upcoming external HD DVD drive for the Xbox 360. When laid flat, the add-on is about half the width of the console and nearly as high. The Xbox will handle all the audio and video processing, Microsoft said.

The Redmond company did not disclose how much it plans to charge for the HD DVD drive, which will go on sale for the holidays, but said it will be one of the cheapest such players. Sony is taking a similar tack with Blu-ray, but has opted to utilize the technology for the PlayStation 3's main optical drive. The PS3 is slated to debut in November.

Source

Cheapest = good. I just hope they can keep that promise seeing as you can get no-name dvd players for under 30 bucks nowadays ;)

Edited by slimy

Seems like a good deal. I still havent got a 360 mianly due to lack of games that i want right now but some good games are coming which is going to convince me very soon to get myself one. Id proberly wouldnt buy the HD-DVD addon as i would only use the console for games...which microsoft has done well...unlike sony

If the movies are worth getting and cheap then i would consider this in the future but not at launch.

Do they mean cheapest including the Xbox 360, or cheapest not including the Xbox 360?

They mean that the drive alone will be the cheapest player available. Which was pretty obvious since it doesn't include most of the hardware that standalone players have.

I want to say $100. Realistically, it might be a bit more, but even though it's new technology, I can't envision an optical drive by itself made specifically for a console would cost quite so much.

-Spenser

ok go buy a stand-alone hdvd player and a 360 and see how much it costs all up :) kthxbye