P2p Troubles

Greetings!

I've been having problems getting a good P2P client for Linux. First of all, many of the clients available are Java-based, which won't work properly even with J2RE 1.4.1 correctly installed! Secondly, giFT and EDonkey are too complicated for me to understand and NapShare has the same Gnutella nonsense (no reliable servers). I heard there was a version of KaZaA for Linux, but it's no longer on KaZaA's website. I even tried to emulate KaZaA Lite and WinMX through CodeWeavers Wine. With WinMX, it nearly worked, but the file name won't show up! With KaZaA Lite, I get an error concerning the comdlg32.dll, even when I imported the correct 9x files! :mad: If you can help me get a good quality P2P client for Linux, it would be greatly appreciated since it's my only roadblock from being Windows-Free! :D

Sorry, there's no KaZaA version for Linux. There used to have it, but it wasn't popular. The developers decided to dump it, because it wasn't worth to bother it.

Anyway, I use native eDonkey and MLDonkey for FreeBSD and I love them. I don't see how it can be so complicate when there have forums and very nice doc/faq in their website. However, there don't have many nice P2P for *nix, because of *cough* Java *cough*.. Qtella, it's written in C++/QT, it's very nice to match with KDE. So, you might like Qtella, it's a Gnutella client.

Here's link for list of P2P clients -> www.zeropaid.com

Can't say I care for the linux P2P apps, sadly :wacko:

anyways you can get WinMX and Kazaa Lite working under WINE with no problems if you follow the instructions here:

Frank's Corner

Just look under the Applications section on the right. You might also want to play around with some of the tools he's made; it makes installing stuff under WINE easier.

mldonkey get the source and you wil downing with high speed and are connected with :edonkey/overnet/limewire/morpheus/direct connect napster server/soulseek/openftp

not sure if all works but downloadspeed is high on my pc

between 30 and 80 kb/s normally 60 kb/s

mldonkey get the source and you wil downing with high speed and are connected with :edonkey/overnet/limewire/morpheus/direct connect napster server/soulseek/openftp

Could you explain that in plain English or French, please?

Could you explain that in plain English or French, please?

Hehe.. Do you know what Trillian is? It can run many different IM system in one. It's same idea as with mldonkey, which can run many different P2P in one.

I'm trying to get the GUI to work since the actual "donkey" file will not work. Inside the GUI directory, I can launch the console program "donkey_s", but even when connected, I can't seem to get any search results. And when try to connect using the GUI, it doesn't load up the IP's from this server file. I always get an error saying "Can't connect to server." And these IP's don't show up on the Servers section neither. Meanwhile, I'll have to reboot into Linux to give ya more information so you'll know the exact error.

1) You need to open the ports for the eDonkey to allow get connect. eDonkey is pretty pickly on it.

2) You need to update the serverlist (file is called server.met). You can right click and you should see the option of it to fetch the serverlist file.

3) Check -> http://www.edonkey2000.com/documentation/connect.html

4) Check -> http://www.edonkey2000.com/cgi-bin/smartfa...aq/smartfaq.cgi

Running Mandrake 9.0 here.

Limewire works great as a p2p app (uses the Sun JRE v1.4). Nice and fast.

I have also Kazaa lite installed and running through Wine but prefer ^^Limewire.

My bad! The one thing I just realized was that in the GUI, I'm supposed to use my own IP address as the address connected to the core. Now I got to worry about getting the server lists updated! BTW, how on Earth can I get those blasted servers through the HTML files? There's no way I can get the servers through the HTML files in the servers tab! If anyone has the solution for eDonkey2000, I would appreciate that!

Webgraph, I never ran into any problem with the dll problem you mention. I just downloaded Kazaa Lite and ran the setup program in WineX and it worked right off the bat. Also, if you install Windows media player 6.4 in WineX, you can have Kazaa play the media files from within the program.

I really don't use Kazaa anymore though as I find Limewire to be better (plus it runs native without emulation).

The dll problem also occured when I tried it with CodeWeavers. I got somewhat improved results, but I'm still stranded! Hope the next WinMX can actually display the filename when emulated with Wine. As for LimeWire, I cannot use it due to the Java wreck in Mandrake-Linux. If only MandrakeSoft included Java with their OS, then LimeWire would work no problem. And can you link me to a Windows Media 6.4 installation file, please?

Hey Webgraph,

I followed the instructions from this site for installing j2sdk, check it out if you feel like it: http://members.shaw.ca/trollking/linux.html

for winmx under wine, you need some dlls (2 of which are HARD to find on net). instructions are at http://frankscorner.org/wine/modules.php?o...artid=20&page=1

EDIT: sorry, forgot to post the windows media player 6.4 download link...

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsme...oad/default.asp

you can pick the version from the drop-down menu.

dont understand why you are stick to kazaa or edonkey (original)

first of all kazaa will freeze after hours i use to have the same and edonkey is really slow .

so you have two choices:

use emule latest version with wine ,

or

download the mldonkey source.tar.gz file

unpack the file and start into a console mldonkey thats all no server.met file problems or what ever , all is included . read the ifo file or the install file .

i use to be a dyhard fan of edonkey but after the use of mldonkey i switch to this wonderfull program ,

goodluck and sorry for my late respons

There's a project in the works called "giFT" which uses OpenFT. OpenFT is an open source version on Kazaa's FastTrack protocol. Many of the good features in Kazaa are already built into giFT. (Threaded downloading / no central server ..etc) It's still in alpha/beta stages but it still looks very promising.

If you plan to install it, follow the install intructions exactly, or you will have problems.

giFT Website

Have fun!

:D

Hey Webgraph,

I followed the instructions from this site for installing j2sdk, check it out if you feel like it: http://members.shaw.ca/trollking/linux.html

for winmx under wine, you need some dlls (2 of which are HARD to find on net). instructions are at http://frankscorner.org/wine/modules.php?o...artid=20&page=1

EDIT: sorry, forgot to post the windows media player 6.4 download link...

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsme...oad/default.asp

you can pick the version from the drop-down menu.

Thanks for the Java installation instructions. If that doesn't work, I'm screwed for Java. Also, I already tried giFT, but I couldn't really get the hang of it. I don't even know how to start the damned thing! With the WinMX needing DLL's, I managed to extract those from my Windows 98 SE CD-ROM in Windows 2000 Professional, but it will generate an error if I use the DLL's. Without it, everything will load up in WinMX.

I tried it with the SDK method, but I still got problems. I can see the list of command switches when I type javac, but LimeWire still won't install. I tried to install as the user. Must I do steps 5 and 6 as root as well?

SDK?? Sorry, you only need the runtimes to run Limewire. http://mdkxp.by-a.com/htm/tutorials/javarpm.php << Try this page. Instructions worked perfect for me.

The re-creation of the shortcuts solved my Java problem. Thank you, haloscan! :) BTW, LimeWire is a bit screwy with loading up the shared files! It won't load all the requested folders for some strange reason, but the downloads are acceptable! :)

• 1 month later...