Xbox 360 HD-DVD Addon for 200usd?

What? I don't understand you point...the PS3 can play DVDs as well...

Yes but you are FORCED to pay the extra for the media format, what you dont seem to realise is the people that are looking to buy the HD-DVD addon are the people that already have a bloody Xbox 360 so its not another $300 on top of the HD-DVD drive, it doesnt make sense to be looking at buying a HD-DVD addon for something they dont own, thats the main point that Sony zealots fail to see.

People who want HD-DVD and dont have an Xbox 360 can pay less and get a standalone player and not have all the extra functions like games they dont need.

People who want a PS3 but dont want or need blu-ray HAVE to pay the extra over what it would have cost if the PS3 would have had a DVD-ROM drive like the ps2.

People who want a PS3 but dont want or need blu-ray HAVE to pay the extra over what it would have cost if the PS3 would have had a DVD-ROM drive like the ps2.

Isn't that like saying you want a PS2 without the DVD drive and just the CD drive?

And what if games need bluray capacity? Then its a perfect GAME media.

And nobody is forcing bluray on you. Thats ridiculous.

You don't HAVE to buy the PS3.

If PS3 is forcing the bluray on you, then PS3 has already won.

Bluray is forced on you if you own the PS3 :)

This argument reminds me of the chicken and the egg.

Isn't that like saying you want a PS2 without the DVD drive and just the CD drive?

And what if games need bluray capacity? Then its a perfect GAME media.

You don't HAVE to buy the PS3.

If PS3 is forcing the bluray on you, then PS3 has already won.

Bluray is forced on you if you buy the PS3 :)

You make no sense. Games DO NOT need Blu-Ray capacity, take The Darkness for example, multiformat on both 360 and PS3, 360 version has sharper textures but the PS3 version has loads of Popeye cartoons just to fill up the disk, if 360 can do games on dual layer then theres no reason the PS3 cant.

Sony IS forcing blu-ray onto the market, if a version of the PS3 came out without blu-ray id buy it in an instant but Sony isnt offering that option, you are forced to buy the more expensive drive or not buy a PS3 at all. Try not to contradict yourself too much.

Bluray is forced on you if you buy the PS3 :)

:|

You make no sense. Games DO NOT need Blu-Ray capacity,

Sure they do.

Sony IS forcing blu-ray onto the market, if a version of the PS3 came out without blu-ray id buy it in an instant but Sony isnt offering that option, you are forced to buy the more expensive drive or not buy a PS3 at all. Try not to contradict yourself too much.

:|

Relax.

Tell me where the contradiction is.

<Edit>

Damn. We could argue for ever.

Maybe we need to agree to disagree :p

Edited by gunnerhkjp

Games DO NOT need Blu-Ray capacity

How do you know that??? Are you qualified to make such an assumption?

The Xbox 360 hasn't even been out for a year yet.

The PS2 used CDs when it first launched, but then eventually every game was released on DVD because they needed the capacity. Who the hell are you to say the same won't happen this time round?? (The difference is that NO ps3 games will be released on DVD at the start - it's Blu-ray right from the beginning)

Who cares, just buy it if you want to watch hd movies. Or buy it when one medium finally wins. All in all consumers win because of competition. And I believe 360 can display in 1080p but for movies. They(MS) didnt unrealisticly say they are gonna use 1080p for games which is ridiculous unless you got 2 ps3s working in sli.

How do you know that??? Are you qualified to make such an assumption?

The Xbox 360 hasn't even been out for a year yet.

The PS2 used CDs when it first launched, but then eventually every game was released on DVD because they needed the capacity. Who the hell are you to say the same won't happen this time round?? (The difference is that NO ps3 games will be released on DVD at the start - it's Blu-ray right from the beginning)

Case in point, the darkness, 360: Dual Layer dvd, PS3: Bluray and to make it look like its using much of the blu-ray capacity they fill it up with cartoons.....

A lot of the first generation 360 games use just over half of a dual layer capacity, maybe in the future they will need to come up with some creative ways to compress things or use procedurally generated stuff like Speedtree, but saying you need 25Gb+ space is just ridiculous, if PS2 games are anything to go by they will just add more pointless hidefinition FMV video.

Sure they do.

No, they really don't. But Sony would like you to think that. None of the 200+ games that will be out for the 360 by next summer will have any problems with space on a DVD9. And I'm willing to bet that that the cross platform ones won't look a whole lot different, if at all, between the 360 and PS3. But time will tell that one.

The problem isn't so much that, it's that this round is different from last round. Last round there was a definitive winner - the DVD. This round, consumers have a choice for their movie format. Unfortunately if you want the PS3, Sony's made that choice for you, and you have to shell out a bit of extra money because of it whether that's your choice of a movie format or not.

-Spenser

No, they really don't. But Sony would like you to think that. None of the 200+ games that will be out for the 360 by next summer will have any problems with space on a DVD9. And I'm willing to bet that that the cross platform ones won't look a whole lot different, if at all, between the 360 and PS3. But time will tell that one.

The problem isn't so much that, it's that this round is different from last round. Last round there was a definitive winner - the DVD. This round, consumers have a choice for their movie format. Unfortunately if you want the PS3, Sony's made that choice for you, and you have to shell out a bit of extra money because of it whether that's your choice of a movie format or not.

-Spenser

To add to that, DVD was already in the mass market for 2+ years when the PS2 launched, Blu-ray's (miserable) launch is months before the PS3.

He means that with the external Add-On Microsoft can support HD-DVD or, if that format fails, they can support Blu-Ray for movies while in contrast Sony is locked in with supporting Blu-Ray because it's built into their console.

Thanks, that was what I was trying to say :)

you guys have no idea what comes in the box and you actually have a few possible options if the final price of the addon is $200...

- the HD-DVD Drive + a big thank you :hug:

- the HD-DVD Drive + universal remote :punk:

- the HD-DVD Drive + HD digital cable :drool:

:shifty: :whistle:

I doubt they'd throw in a remote, but I wouldn't complain :p

The remote was already confirmed in another thread. Haven't heard the other two, but I'd take Spartan's word for it.

-Spenser

Everyone needs to know that:

USB + Microsoft + Hackers = HDDVD usable with PC. Microsoft tends to not cover all the bases when it comes to firmware.

That would be cool, but chances are, HDDVD forum will just blacklist the drive so all future discs would not play on the drive.

And that's where I'm lost. My crappy P4 computer with a GF2 can decode and show a 1080p MPEG2 stream, but a wii, which is probably considerably more powerful, can't handle it? The PS3 and 360 are powerful enough to decode several HD streams at once, I'm sure the wii can do at least one.

1) HD-DVD isn't only MPEG2. Most movies are using VC-1, which requires more power to decode - it's questionable if it'd have the power to do it. Harder still is when h.264 movies hit, that'd be really tough for a Wii to handle. Nobody really knows if it can offload video decoding to the GPU either, like Xbox 360 could - of course the 360 doesn't particularly need to with the CPU power.

2) Even if it could decode the video, Wii most likely has no way to output the HD signal. HD-DVD downsampled to 480p would be pretty useless.

The remote was already confirmed in another thread. Haven't heard the other two, but I'd take Spartan's word for it.

-Spenser

Really? If that's true I'm stoked!

is that the longer full sized remote? or the limited edition remote that came with some premiums..cause i already have that lol :)

I believe the Universal Remote refers to the full remote, not the limited one.

-Spenser

And now I have a dilemma. Buy the remote now and use it and stuff, or wait for HD-DVD and get that instead.

That would be cool, but chances are, HDDVD forum will just blacklist the drive so all future discs would not play on the drive.

They can do that?

And that's where I'm lost. My crappy P4 computer with a GF2 can decode and show a 1080p MPEG2 stream, but a wii, which is probably considerably more powerful, can't handle it? The PS3 and 360 are powerful enough to decode several HD streams at once, I'm sure the wii can do at least one.

The Wii has confirmed to do EDTV (480p) at the most.

At a rumored 733Mhz, I think HD is out of the question.

bah, i have absolutely no need for it at teh moment. i assume it makes no difference unless you have an hd tv?

Well, you've also got the iHD, for interactive movies and menu overlays and internet access, but I wouldn't bother without a HDTV.

They can do that?

Here

Key revocation procedures ensure that devices manufactured by any vendors who violate the license agreement could be relatively easily blocked from receiving HD data.