Follow up - Would you buy a $200 HD-DVD add-on?

Follow up - Would you buy a $200 HD-DVD add-on?  

76 members have voted

1. 1. Follow up - Would you buy a $200 HD-DVD add-on?

• Yes
    • No
    • Undecided

I, for one, most certainly would. I want to take advantage of my HDTV, I feel that HD-DVD is a superior technology to Blu-Ray, and $200 is a low enough price for me to snag one.

I am curious as to how Microsoft is going to implement HDMI, although I assume they will just release another cable for the proprietary connector on the back of the 360 that will allow it to hook up via HDMI.

Of course!

HD-DVD will be the new standard (for me, at least). It adds right on to the 360, and I could bring it to my other friend's houses too. Stand alone players are like $700 CAD, so this price is fine. I'm quite happy with it actually.

By Follow Up in the title does this mean it was officially announced it was 200$???

I'm undecided. I don't have an HDTV yet and I might look at a 1080p set when I finally decide to go HD. I haven't heard whether or not 1080p will be supported with HD-DVD playback on the 360 yet, so that could be a factor. Also, I'm not really interested in paying $25+ for most movies - even the ones on sale - right now.

I am curious as to how Microsoft is going to implement HDMI, although I assume they will just release another cable for the proprietary connector on the back of the 360 that will allow it to hook up via HDMI.

Seems like there won't be any HDMI coming. In an interwiew with Major Nelson, the HD-DVD team said something to the likes of "it doesn't really make a difference" and "component is good enough" when asked if there will be HDMI support.

Now, they didn't outright say "There will be no HDMI", but those comments aren't very reassuring.

Nothing official yet.

Thanks for the response. (Y)

So this Poll is more or less just based on a hypothetical number rather then a concrete one. Got It.

I read somewhere that 1080p will be supported through a cable. Presumably HDMI.

You can get 1080p over component. Xbox 360 won't support HDMI anytime soon...I don't think it's possible to just attach it on in some way.

You can get 1080p over component. Xbox 360 won't support HDMI anytime soon...I don't think it's possible to just attach it on in some way.

And this is where this comes in:

hdmixbox360port.jpg

Rumored to be included in the Xbox 360 2.0 (or whatever you want to call it), this is a shot of the Xbox 360 motherboard, but with a HDMI port on it.

My thinking is that the ATi chip can't take 1080p anyway.

And this is where this comes in:

hdmixbox360port.jpg

Rumored to be included in the Xbox 360 2.0 (or whatever you want to call it), this is a shot of the Xbox 360 motherboard, but with a HDMI port on it.

My thinking is that the ATi chip can't take 1080p anyway.

Holy cow.

I was going to get a 360 to play the new startrek game, but the lack of HDMI was holding me back.

When is this coming out?

Holy cow.

I was going to get a 360 to play the new startrek game, but the lack of HDMI was holding me back.

When is this coming out?

That's just a rumor and I'm not sure if it will be coming out, for all we know it could have been fake. Changing the hardware to include an HDMI port will likely fragmentate the base of users with Xbox 360s and I don't think Microsoft would do this without at least some sort of rebate program where you can send in your 'old' Xbox 360. But even then, it just spells bad press, I highly doubt it will ever happen.

Is an HDMI cable over USB-out anyway a possibility? I don't know much about cables so don't bash me :p But from what I can gather, a USB2.0 port certainly has enough bandwidth.

OT: I will definitely be getting this add-on if it is $200 or less. Any more and I will wait a while until a price drop in the add-on itself or HD-DVD movies get cheaper.