Follow up - Would you buy a $200 HD-DVD add-on?

Follow up - Would you buy a $200 HD-DVD add-on?  

76 members have voted

1. 1. Follow up - Would you buy a $200 HD-DVD add-on?

• Yes
    • No
    • Undecided

Is an HDMI cable over USB-out anyway a possibility?

I don't think it's possible. And even if it was, the biggest part of HDMI, HDCP (the copy protection system), wouldn't work over USB, and so having HDMI would be pretty pointless.

As you rightly say, introducing an HDMI-Xbox 360 would fragment the userbase, so I don't think we'll see HDMI compatibility on the 360 at all. Which is a shame.

I don't think it's possible. And even if it was, the biggest part of HDMI, HDCP (the copy protection system), wouldn't work over USB, and so having HDMI would be pretty pointless.

As you rightly say, introducing an HDMI-Xbox 360 would fragment the userbase, so I don't think we'll see HDMI compatibility on the 360 at all. Which is a shame.

Just like sony is planning to fragment its market... Shame

Just like sony is planning to fragment its market... Shame

It is a shame - of course it's different.

Sony is giving the option right at the start. Microsoft would be screwing all the early adopters if it introduced a new Xbox 360 with such a revision.

USB sends digital signals, HDCP is a digital copy protection system, from what I can muster, putting 2 and 2 together I don't see why HDCP wouldn't be possible over USB? I'm not saying this is the solution that Microsoft will tackle, I'm just saying it may be possible, why not?

Also, I don't think not having HDCP is a big deal anyway as the ICT Flag or whatever it is isn't expected to be implemented for a few years (5ish?), at which time we'll probably have a new generation of consoles anyway. I'm sure Sony is banking on that at least seeing as how their basic system lacks an HDMI output.

I will purchase it but only if it allows upscaling of DVDs via Component cables. I still don't want to believe upscaling is not supported because of some stupid movie studio executives don't allow it, just doesn't make any sense.

I will purchase it but only if it allows upscaling of DVDs via Component cables. I still don't want to believe upscaling is not supported because of some stupid movie studio executives don't allow it, just doesn't make any sense.

I thought the standard 360 DVD Dive did this already? Hmm, guess not ;)