Is It Me Or Does Visual Basic Suck?

Question

I wouldn't say that it "sucks" As the vBulletin team spent effortless hours working on the product, the case is that other Bulletin Board(BB) software will beat it and has beaten it.

Just my opinion. ;)

This is just me, but I like IB much better, the overall look is awesome, and it uses less SQL queries than VB. Feature-wise, they've got pretty much everything that a VB could have, with a few exceptions. Did I mention it's 100% free? The vB's don't suck, they are just not as good as the free alternatives.

Guys are you sure he's talking about vBulletin?! Or is it what I think - Visual Basic - judging from this Programming (C++, DELPHI, VB etc...) forum?

LOL this is funny.

I use Visual Basic since v3 and it sucks as a program language, its full of annoyances, not well designed patches and tricks.

IMHO, Ms does right re-designing vb.net

Don't think it sucks, well not from version 6 anyways. VB.net can be very powerful if you know what ya doing with it.

Use to use it all the time to create quick apps and runtimes which were useful.

I think it does suck, its the first one I learnt and right away I switched quickly to Delphi. VB is just plain slow and requires external dependencies, nor does it have the features and speed of any other progamming languages.

Switch to VB.NET if you think VB sucks.. Just try VB.NET and you'll be a happy man again.

True, I was until I realised realise the .NET framework is 20MB. That soon enough put me off.

Me: Download this great software I wrote in VB.NET!

Friend: Alright, send it over

<file is sent to friend>

Friend: It doesn't work.

Me: Oh, erm. Oh yeah, you need this additional 20MB file as well to make it work.

Friend: 20MB? For a 50KB piece of software?

Me: Hmm, forget it.

That was a fictional conversation but you get the idea! Until most people are running a future version of Windows that has it already installed it is useless for making little programs for internet distribution. Such a shame.

Anyway, back to the subject of VB in general. I like it and hate it at the same time. It is great when you are just starting out, everything seems so easy to do. But then get to more complex software and you start to question if it is in fact harder than other languages.

Visual Basic .NET is awesome. Especially for ASP .NET. I love being able to create data aware web forms with ado as easily as i can create a windows app. visual studio .net is an awesome web site creation tool.

Iv'e only ever used VB as a programing llaguage but I dont like the way I cant see the UI part of the code in the code veiw what programing lanquage is good?

Iv'e only ever used VB as a programing llaguage but I dont like the way I cant see the UI part of the code in the code veiw what programing lanquage is good?

If you edit the .frm files you can see the UI setup there. :)

I'm going to give C# a seal of approval, it's very nice indeed...

ALL VISUAL Microsoft Languages are Equal.

Hence CLR.

Learn Something.

:)

i changed to delphi & c, after doing vb for a few months. its isn't so bad with option explicit, but sometimes u kinda get lazy. the runtimes and for .net, the framework make it rather difficult to distribute and its rather slow, but two good points, its really simple to pick up and there are a hell lot of vb developers out there and unlike c developers, these vb developers are mostly hobbyist and are willing to share code and stuff.

http://www.pscode.com/

Well first off VB.net is not VB, at least not beyond the name and a few syntax similiarities. Secondly, VB is great for what it is, once you get beyond that or try and compare it to more advanced languages, then yeah it sucks at times. VB is a RAD (rapid application development) tool, hence it is best for writting quick and dirty little programs or for prototyping.

Delphi is another good RAD tool, one that can also be extended to do more advanced tasks that VB sometimes requires special little "hacks" to do right.