NOOOOOO, my XBOX360 experiences hardware failure!

Ok. This is my rundown of what occured.

I use my XBOX360 every morning before work to play music. Suddenly, this morning I see three lights on the Ring of Light (RoL) flash red on the front of the Xbox 360 console. Keep in mind, this does happen from time to time and a simple restart usually solves the problem. However, in this case it did not!

I don't have the receipt but I have had this console for only 2 months. What do I do?

Thanks.

Surely you would deal directly with Microsoft? At the end of the day, they should be able to tell from the serial number when the unit was manufactured... if they want a receipt then I'd start going up the chain and speaking to people in management - they really shouldn't need it when they manufacture the things.

Surely you would deal directly with Microsoft? At the end of the day, they should be able to tell from the serial number when the unit was manufactured... if they want a receipt then I'd start going up the chain and speaking to people in management - they really shouldn't need it when they manufacture the things.

bear in mind it was released in nov 2005

so i think its still under warranty even if you dont have the reciept :)

The "buying a new one and returning the old one" doesn't work as often anymore because more and more stores are scanning the serial number into the sale, thus being part of your receipt. When they scan the one you didn't buy ther'll be a discrepancy in the serial numbers.

Send it back to Microsoft, then you dont need a receipt :p

I'll give it a shot.

Thank guys!

go to the place, and get a copy of the recipt.. all places keep copies of recipts.. just show them proof of purchase.. like your credit card bill. if you paid in cash, you maybe in trouble.. but they scan every box's serial number, which is actually on the system, so it may not be a problem...

it's power supply issues. same thing happened to me and no matter how many times microsoft replaced it, it'd go back to doing the same thing.

it's power supply issues. same thing happened to me and no matter how many times microsoft replaced it, it'd go back to doing the same thing.

See, I would understand if it was something inside that caused problems from time to time - it's a damn complex machine.

But power supply? Surely it's not that hard to make one that actually works. It just seems farcical that loads of people have had problems with the Xbox 360 due to the power supply - the fact that it's external has meant they've been able to isolate the issue pretty quickly, why don't they actually bother to fix it?

Anyway, apparently Microsoft are quite understanding with issues like this...so do what everyone has already told you to :p

Similar thing happened to my 360 too. I started seeing Random 3 red lights of death for a week or so then it died big-time with an E71 error code. Not bad going for an 8-9 month old console....

My experience of Microsoft?s support is that the call centre is not that good really. It took me 5 phone calls to get my address details sorted out because the foreign people I was speaking to for the first 4 calls had problems understanding English.

On my 5th call I did finally get through to a UK call centre (it was a major relief!) and the guy there sorted things out for me. He even arranged for UPS to collect from my door - The standard procedure in the UK is the person that you speak to on the phone will send you an email with a form attached to it. You need to print out the form and attach it to a box that you have the 360 in. You then have to call UPS yourself to collect the box. Don't put the 360 in its original box though as you won't get it back.

The repair was pretty quick (3-4 days), but it?s not actually a repair - you'll get back a refurbished machine.

Wow. Just such a shame so many members just here at Neowin have had issues with their 360's. :no:

I have had mine since December now, and knowing my luck, it is going to die the first time I put Gears Of War in.

This really is becoming more than just isolated cases, and it is sad I even have to joke about if and when it is going to die, it truly is.

^ You shouldn't be suprised though, happens with every console every launch.

I'm sure Microsoft appreciates your understanding :D

The OEM must be getting pummeled with short delivery time and low price.

Wow. Just such a shame so many members just here at Neowin have had issues with their 360's. :no:

I have had mine since December now, and knowing my luck, it is going to die the first time I put Gears Of War in.

This really is becoming more than just isolated cases, and it is sad I even have to joke about if and when it is going to die, it truly is.

Eh? I'm not so sure. I think MS is still under that 3-5% that electronics go through. I think we just see a lot more here because Neowin is a tech oriented site. Things like that are brought out quite a bit. It is unfortunate though. I haven't had any problems yet with my 360 since I got it in January, and hopefully that streak continues.

-Spenser