NotForNoobs

http://www.notfornoobs.com/

After turning the nob to channel 3 you will see the green snake-like logo found at http://www.razerzone.com/

I wonder what this is all about.

Xboxic Article:

Another day, another Microsoft viral marketing campaign. Ever since we were forced to love bees, the Redmond giant has shown an ever increasing love for the very effective medium. And now they’re on it again with Not For Noobs.

So what do we see: a television with a bad signal inviting you to turn its knobs. As you do so a few times, you’re treated to disrupted Microsoft logos and a green drawing, which then dissolves into a countdown timer, and 5 seconds later you are redirected to a page where you can enter your mail address to receive more information.

What would it be counting down to? The timer is quite corrupted: having tried several times over the course of several minutes I always got a timer counting down from 153:95:xx, with xx being any number between 40 and 59. Several times it was counting down from a higher number than the previous attempt. I have no idea what the green logo means, or what the campaign could be for.

By all means it does look like a typical Microsoft viral campaign though. The welcome email you receive is:

Xboxic,

Thank you for signing up. Launch notification will be released once

countdown has been reached.

We look forward with sharing this information with you.

NotForNoobs.com | 15111 N. Hayden Rd. | Ste 160, PMB 353 | Scottsdale | Arizona 85260 | United States

Note the mandatory severe grammar mistakes we’re used to by now. The address matches the WHOIS info for the domain, and is just the corporate address of Domains By Proxy, which MS always uses for viral campaigns. It even has the badly configured webserver giving away absolutely nothing useful.

So in the end we have no idea what this is for or even for what Microsoft product it is, but the “noob” reference makes it a pretty safe assumption that it’s at least gaming or Xbox related. Speculate away below what you think it is about and what we’ll see in 153 hours or so!

Cool. I hope this is a real one and there's more to it than that 10110100...site.

I'm not sure what's going on with the countdown, though. When I went the timer had something like "156:95:27" (plus milliseconds) which is a higher number than when Xboxic saw it. That, and the 95 minutes doesn't work so well.

definately the razor logo.. But what would Razor and Microsoft be working on? I mean razor makes 90% mice. And microsoft with there mice?

definately the razor logo.. But what would Razor and Microsoft be working on? I mean razor makes 90% mice. And microsoft with there mice?

I was thinking some peripherals for the xbox360...

keyboard, mouse, x360 style... maybe...

I got a tour of Microsoft's Redmond campus about a month and a half ago when I was up in the Seattle area by a friend of the family. I asked him what exactly it was that he did. He told me that he couldn't tell me right now, because it hadn't been announced yet by Microsoft. He did tell me, however, that it had to do with mice and keyboards, peripherals, etc.

I got a tour of Microsoft's Redmond campus about a month and a half ago when I was up in the Seattle area by a friend of the family. I asked him what exactly it was that he did. He told me that he couldn't tell me right now, because it hadn't been announced yet by Microsoft. He did tell me, however, that it had to do with mice and keyboards, peripherals, etc.

:woot: Maybe some native keyboard/mouse support for the Xbox 360??

:woot: Maybe some native keyboard/mouse support for the Xbox 360??

Which honestly could explain the name of it all, because using a keyboard and mouse combo to play a first person shooter is definitely not for noobs!!!!

I truly, truly like it if this little "neowin exclusive" theory is where it is going!

That would be interesting, considering they keep saying they aren't going to ever support a keyboard and mouse for gameplay.

I'm not exactly sure it would be a great thing. Everyone who uses a controller would be at a great disadvantage, and I don't think the games would be as much fun for them anymore.

-Spenser

The keyboard + mouse theory fits, seeing as in the future XBOX360 users will be able to connect to PC users and play together online.

I sure as hell wouldn't want to be handicapped playing an FPS game with an XBOX controller against PC users with a keyboard and a mouse.

With this keyboard + mouse theory, won't it result in people pretty much playing FPS PC-style, just on a bigger screen? Why not just play on PC instead?

Umm as you said, bigger screen, comfort of your couch as I am assuming it will be wireless, no need to upgrade your PC, play it on both... I could keep going if you would like, as there are a TON of reasons a keyboard and mouse would be a welcome addition to the 360. I truly hope we are on to something here, it would be sweet!

Edited by DirtyLarry

^ Not to mention a hell of a lot cheaper! :p And I know a few hardcore PC fans that would love to switch over to Xbox 360 just for playing on Xbox Live but haven't done so yet because they can't bare to part with thier Keyboard+Mouse.

Let's just hope our theory is correct, however. :p

Umm as you said, bigger screen, comfort of your couch as I am assuming it will be wireless, no need to upgrade your PC, play it on both... I could keep going if you would like, as there are a TON of reasons a keyboard and mouse would be a welcome addition to the 360. I truly hope we are on to something here, it would be sweet!

I suppose the point I wanted to make was that it takes away from playing FPS on a console with a controller. I actually enjoy playing FPS on a controller because even though it's not as precise as a mouse, it's a lot more comfortable (imo) and I find it more fun. You won't have rumble with a mouse and a keyboard either.

I suppose the point I wanted to make was that it takes away from playing FPS on a console with a controller. I actually enjoy playing FPS on a controller because even though it's not as precise as a mouse, it's a lot more comfortable (imo) and I find it more fun. You won't have rumble with a mouse and a keyboard either.

Fair enough. See, I am the exact opposite. Although I will and have done it, I cannot stand playing FPS's with controllers. So much more precision with a mouse and keyboard. That is what I am used to though, I ditched consoles for a few years except for the occasional game and was primarily just was a PC gamer, and it was the 360 that got me back into console gaming.

But honestly, we all do not even know if this is the case yet, so lets wait and see.

Microsoft to Ship FPS Controller for Xbox 360

Microsoft is looking at shipping a separate controller for the Xbox 360 that will make it easier to control first-person shooter (FPS) games. FPS games are difficult to control on most video game consoles because players use controllers with analog sticks, unlike the super-precise aiming available to PC game players, who use a mouse. The new controller will allegedly replace the Xbox 360's analog stick with a more precise pointing device. But I have to wonder: Given how easy it would be to make a PC mouse and keyboard work just fine on the Xbox 360, why not let people use those devices instead? They already work perfectly on PC-based FPS games.

Interesting.