Just Cause - impressions

Demo is up on Live

I just played it , had low expectations and I was right, this game is poor imo. Just felt wrong on so many levels.

So what was everyone elses thoughts?

I played through the demo

I'll wait till full game is out and possibly rent it but the demo didn't leave a good impression

Edit can a mod change title to discussion, not impressions, thanks

Edited by .KICK

Agreed. Something is definitely off with it, making it just feel awkward more often than not.

I also did not like how all of the missions were "hurried" the way they were. Made it so you had to do it almost just one way, when with a game like this you should have several approaches to doing a mission.

With that said, I will rent it. For sure. No way will I buy it though.

Damn, I was hoping people would be saying positive things, downloading now.

So Saint's Row will be better than this? I saw an HD clip of the game earlier, and i was kinda blown away by the graphics. Bloom is over used, but I like the style.

Hopefully I enjoy the demo once it's finished.

Damn, I was hoping people would be saying positive things, downloading now.

So Saint's Row will be better than this? I saw an HD clip of the game earlier, and i was kinda blown away by the graphics. Bloom is over used, but I like the style.

Hopefully I enjoy the demo once it's finished.

You can turn off bloom fyi in the settings.

Nice! That's awesome! I really have a feeling I'm going to prefer this one over Saint's Row. Hurry up MS servers.

No doubt visually it is an impressive game, but gameplay wise from playing both demo's Saints Row is without a doubt the better game.

it's a poor game, IMO it feels just too floaty, and all be it the stunts are impressive i spose, it's just too improbable. The aiming system was clunky, and the weapons felt like they all did the same damage.

Agreed. Something is definitely off with it, making it just feel awkward more often than not.

I also did not like how all of the missions were "hurried" the way they were. Made it so you had to do it almost just one way, when with a game like this you should have several approaches to doing a mission.

With that said, I will rent it. For sure. No way will I buy it though.

well..you actually can do missions in different ways. sure the goal is one, but you don't have to use a certain vehicle all the time or smth.

And the demo ends at sunset, so there isn't much time ;)

I still haven't had a chance to play it, but one thing I'd like to add is, when I was watching the video, one of the guys doing development said that every mission is randomly based. So if you restart and try to do the same mission, you might have to go to some completely different destination than before to complete it.

Stuff like that is kind of cool. Also, I believe he said there was something like 70+ vehicles in the game, and certain ones you can have brought to you by team mates. For example, he was in the water, and proceeded to have some guy in a helicopter bring him a Hovercraft type vehicle that came equipped with missles and a machine gun. Then he owned up people in the water.

I'll try the demo soon enough, I'm trying to just not listen to what you guys say this time, heh.

If you'd like to see that video, http://www.xboxyde.com/stream_2937_en.html . :D

I wish I could edit my last post, but I will say this about the game. It's three words and seven letters.

I LOVE IT.

The aiming system is not bad as people say, especially once you click the right analog stick. I do like that there is infinite bullets on the pistol (since it is so weak, even against civilians) and regular ammunition on the more powerful weapons. I think that later on down the game, things will get very hard, and it would be impossible to not have infinite pistols.

The missions did have a faster pace to them, requiring you to get there pretty quickly, although once you have completed one, you are free to basically do whatever you'd like. Graphically, I am impressed, and maybe that does help things quite a bit. For one, it looks great on my LCD, and two, something about looking at the trees and seeing all the light reflect under the trees as they sway is really great. I do also like the unrealistic usage of the parachute. I was able to launch my car off a clif, deploy the parachute, and then freefall to where I needed. Framerates never seemed to drop really, although I did notice a few trees pop up. Having said that though, it KILLS Saint's Row in terms of draw distance as well. Textures are a bit lower than SR, but I still think it looks a lot better.

There still much more that I would like to know about this game (mainly the storyline), but after taking a look at the map, there is probably going to be a ****load of things to do. I'm going to be putting my money to this rather than SR, and I believe next week I will just rent SR at blockbuster instead.

I liked it personally, its nice to see a game thats different. How many games can you jump onto a car then into the air with your parachute, or just freefall to a car? None, its innovative and different to most open world games, saints row and gta are good games dont get me wrong but its the same old "make you gang be the best/take over the island" This is about helping the gorillas win the war against the government.

Im buying it for sure.

Impressions:

First thing that came to mind was the controls, I'm simply not comfortable with them. Cars are too light, bikes feel like they are hovering. Switching weapons and selecting targets is near enough impossable when you need to do it quickly. There is always something interrupting the fluidity of the game. It tries to be cool and spontaneous but falls flat on it's face doing so.

Combat is also poor. Who uses a automatic targeting system this day and age. It was outdate in the 1990's. Selecting weapons also consists of standing round checking the icon on the screen simply because they all look the same! Not that it matters. Since the only differance between the weapons is range.

Missions were also poor. It felt rushed to hide the fact it wasn't a polished or very good in general game.

I played the demo with low expectations, but I ended up being pleasantly surprised. Love the huge world that the game takes place in, and the vehicles and such are pretty cool. I thought it was awesome that I could go on the motorcycle, get going real fast, and then deploy my parachute and go zooming up in the air.

Controls are a little... iffy, but overall, it's definitely a rental.

I thought the game was **** poor. The environments look nice enough but christ everything else looks bad. The cars and character models look like they belong on the PS2. Controls are bad, the camera moves way too fast (right analog) and makes me dizzy as hell, there is NO CHALLENGE at all -- I literally held down LB and shot everyone down as I was running, no realism -- how the hell do you steer a car when you're standing on the hood? They don't even have something as simple as footsteps in sand.

The only thing that impressed me was the nice looking jungle/grass. Overall I'd give the demo a 4/10.

I thought it was good fun. Not worth a buy by a long shot, but definitely a decent rental. It could have been so much better (more high-flying jumping stunt action) but all in all it's a great time killer. :) Graphically it's really good, too.

There was a post above saying that auto targetting, I must be forgetting that GTA San Andreas, one of the best sellers on the PS2 and a great selling series itself uses this function.

The most funny thing about the demo is how the hell he jumps for a cockpit of a helicopter to it's tail. He flying right thru the blades, I was waiting for waiting for him to be chopped up or something. Also the way he's running like in 70's while on dope facing left body going right.