Could DirectX 10 work on the 360?

they can use some of the NVIDIA tools like this one... ;)

NVIDIA Cg Toolkit

The Cg Toolkit provides a compiler for the Cg language, runtime libraries for use with both leading graphics APIs, runtime libraries for CgFX, example applications, and extensive documentation. Supporting over 20 different OpenGL and DirectX profile targets, Cg will allow you to incorporate stunning interactive effects into your 3D applications. The components include:

- NVIDIA Cg Compiler Release 1.4.1

- CgFX Runtime

- Cg User's Manual

- Cg Language Specification

all those saying "I hope this is true" why? ok some newer games would look better and I admit that would be awsome. It's been said DX9 and DX10 are so differn't Vista will include both so that DX9 will run all the older games and DX10 will run all the newest/current games. So basicly even if ATI chip is compatible and they do put out an update for it I don't expect any of the old games to run/look any better.

if im not wrong doesnt Direct X help games run better, and look better?

(im not saying anything about PS3)

It makes it a lot easier than starting completely from scratch, so I guess in some cases you can say it helps games run and look better (note: I'm talking about consoles; I don't know what we'd do without DX for PCs - that's a whole different ballgame). DirectX is definitely not a bad thing, but I've seen people (not necessarily on Neowin) jump in and say stuff like the "Xbox 360 isn't future proof...BWAHAHA", etc. because of the lack of DX10 as if the original Xbox wasn't the only other console that has had (AFAIK) or will have any other version of DirectX for the next few years or so.

During the rant of mine that you replied to (lol) my main point was that having Direct X 10 or not doesn't determine what type of visuals you can get out of the Xbox 360 or any other console. It just feels like we're going back to the days after SNES and Genesis/Megadrive when people still thought the number of bits would somehow tell you how good a game will look.