Enlightenment And Rh8

Has anyone actually managed to install Enlightenment (0.16) on RehHat 8?

Enlightenment needs Fnlibs and Fnlibs-devel. to install, but those libs need libImlib.so.1 which I can't figure out in which installation RPM they are located.

libImlib.so.1 was installed by default on RH7.x that's why I can't figure out in which pack they are included.

Anyone know?

:/

I don't recall it needing fnlib-devel at all. Here are the official requirements:

http://www.enlightenment.org/pages/download.htm. The i386 RPMs are linked directly to some mirrors on the site.

If you are going to compile them from source instead of using RPM, I can almost guarantee they won't compile in RH 8 since you've probably installed gcc 3.x. I naively did the same think to my Slackware system and while it compiles the kernel all the make files will break for 90%+ of the programs.

Stick w/ gcc 2.9.5 for now if you haven't already. Now I can't compile E17 till I fix the gcc problem. Doh!

I got all the things that are required according to enlightenment's web site, and compile them and install them (make install...) but the enlightenment RPM and/or fnlib RPM still says it can't find the necessary libs. although I've just compiled them and installed.

Am I doing something wrong or is it just RH8?

:/

Nevermind about RPM, which it's one of worst installer app on the earth. Compile it by yourself is always the best way to do it to get stable and function better.

If i compile something like this (in the source dir):

$./configure

$make

$make install

everything should be fine and installed?

Try rpmfind.net to find the source binary u r missing.

I heard my colleague dun seemed to have better chance to install enlightenment for some reasons.

I not sure...

But i had Enlightenment installed on to my Redhat 7.2 (custom kernel 2.4.19) I downloaded the Source RPM and install it. Everything works fine as i have downloaded the 2 required libraries.

Colleague had also had success installing on RH7.3

Somehow RH8 dun seem to response.

I install Enlightenment when my Sawfish's control panel ain't working anymore when i updated Sawfish binary....

Its was well documented...when the gnome control panel crash when it try to access sawfish control ui.

:p

yeah...tat was correct if u install as default setting.

./configure

make

make install

./configure will generate the makefile which describe ya system's config and path.

make will compile with respect to the info found at makefile

make install will install the compiled binaries to the respective path.

But RPM is the most straightforward utility to get thinges install......though

Nevermind about RPM, which it's one of worst installer app on the earth. Compile it by yourself is always the best way to do it to get stable and function better.

If i compile something like this (in the source dir):

$./configure

$make

$make install

everything should be fine and installed?

Yes, depend on.. Be sure to check in ./configure -help before you do anything to see what options you want to enable, disable or whatever. Also, in the README and INSTALL files.