How To Synchronise Linux To Windows 2000 Server

I am trying for wuite some time to synchronise directly my linux machine to a windows 2000 server (domain controller) which reside on the same lan (192.168.x.x) .The only luck I had was when

I used a common external ntp server . It worked but it was not what I wanted!

I am trying to make all synchronisations take place within the LAN without any calls outside...

The windows 2000 server is configured to be a ntp server (or so I think) and at least all the windows 2000 clients on the same LAN do synchronise with the server.

Why doesn't the xntpd cooperate with the windows2000 server ?

Would the opposite work ? (The windows 2000 server take its time from the linux machine)

Help :blink:

What I get with ntpdate 192.168.1.108 (the ip of the server) was (and still is) :

ntpdate[6996]: no server suitable for synchronization found

I don't have the rdate but my guess is that maybe I am doing sth wrong with the windows 2000 server.

I don't think that Microsoft follows the ntp specifications very well (go figure). Actually I think that they run something else called sntp (Simple Network Time Protocol). I had problems trying to do something similar and had to look for alternatives.

You may want to try out Net Time on the Win2k machine. You can download it from http://download.cnet.com, just search for Net Time. Its a free ntp client/server and you should be able to have it update its time from one of the world time clocks for the Win2k machine while at the same time serve time to your windows machines and linux should be able to get ntp from this server since it follows the specs.

Try it out, its free, small, and works pretty well. Good luck!

Thanx for the input !

I 've concluded that since Windows 2k server is a sntp server and not a ntp server ,I ll have

no luck trying to synchronise my linux to the windows 2k server directly with xntpd .

So I 'll try out this Net Time proggy from cnet and if that fails too, I guess I'll fall back to the common external (and global) ntp server ...

Thank you all :)