Dead Rising ships half a million

Dead Rising ships half a million

Capcom's zombie genocide game ships more than 500,000 units in first two weeks on shelves; title heads to Europe, Japan next month.

Looks like the Xbox 360 is treating Capcom just fine. The Japanese publisher has only released two games for the system, the Xbox Live Arcade game Street Fighter II' Hyper Fighting and Dead Rising, but each game has put up some impressive sales figures.

Two days after its early August release, SF2 was announced by Capcom as XBLA's fastest-selling game to date. No numbers were disclosed, but the company did tout the fact that "hundreds of matches were being played every hour."

Now it appears that Capcom's other Xbox 360 game, Dead Rising, is also quite the hot item. The company revealed today that it shipped more than 500,000 copies of the game in its first two weeks of release in North America.

While killing zombies with Frisbees and lawnmowers seems to be a winning formula on its own, Capcom says the sales figures are a result of more than just the attraction of slaughtering meandering meatbags.

"In preparation for the next generation transition, in 2005 Capcom concentrated on creating titles for foreign markets while seeking to improve its marketing, sales, and business-operations functions in North America," the company said in a statement. "Dead Rising's early success is attributable to these changes and Capcom's foresighted philosophy of embracing next-generation development to yield a high quality title with worldwide appeal."

Dead Rising, which was released on August 8, is rated M for Mature and retails for $59.99. The game will be released in Europe on September 8 and in Japan on September 28. For more information on the game, read GameSpot's review.

souricon.gif News source: GameSpot

Comment: $30.000.000 in just two weeks is more than appealing for Capcom to make a version of DMC and RE on the 360... :shifty:

Setting your expectations too high. This is excellent, this will definately bode well for a sequel.

Shame us UK folk still have to wait till next friday (thursday pre-orders) for it.

offit them numbers like, i wonder how many get sold in the uk thought ... i doubt there have been 1m 360s sold in the uk, im guessing it will probs ship 100k-200k tops.

I played the demo. It was brain lickin' good!

Yep, not out here either, although my local GAME is taking pre-orders. They are also stocking an SE (special edition) copy of it. What's all that about?