Lost Planet a 360 exclusive after all

Takeuchi: 360-exclusive Lost Planet due in January

[/size]Capcom producer Jun Takeuchi clears up confusion surrounding status of its arctic-planet survival game, now due early next year.

By Tor Thorsen, GameSpot Posted Aug 31, 2006 5:18 pm PT

As part of its support for the Xbox 360, Capcom has committed two titles that would be exclusive to the platform. One was Dead Rising, the zombie horror survival game that went on sale earlier this month to sparkling reviews and solid sales.

The other Capcom 360 exclusive was Lost Planet: Extreme Condition, an ambitious sci-fi shooter set on a frozen planet overrun by arachnidlike aliens. A demo for the game was released this summer and generated positive buzz for the game thanks to its slick graphics and intense gameplay.

However, Xbox 360 loyalists were troubled last week to hear that Lost Planet might not be exclusive to Microsoft's console after all. A series of reports from the Leipzig Games Convention had the game also coming to the PlayStation 3--effectively robbing the 360 of a homegrown title that could boost its flagging sales in Japan.

Today, though, Capcom set the record straight. Contrary to rumors, Lost Planet will only be released for the 360. It will also follow the lead of the Japanese publisher's most successful game of 2005, Resident Evil 4, and bypass the preceding year's holiday rush by going on sale in January 2007.

To learn more, GameSpot spoke with producer Jun Takeuchi--a veteran developer of the Street Fighter, Resident Evil, and Onimusha series--about Capcom's plans for Lost Planet.

GameSpot: To be clear, will Lost Planet be exclusive to the Xbox 360, or is it being ported to other platforms?

Jun Takeuchi: Lost Planet is an exclusive Xbox 360 title. Typically, when the development team sets out to create a game, we focus development of the title on a single platform, and for Lost Planet, that platform is the Xbox 360. We have no plans at this time of porting to or developing for another console, as this would potentially dilute the final product.

When we create a new game, the intent is to create a great product that our fans will enjoy, as well as maximize sales and profits to invest back into development and the company. As part of this, we evaluate (in the light of the resources we have) what the right platforms, technology, market, content, and partners are for each title, and in some cases, a platform company may be an ideal partner in developing a game. Our decisions are always focused around building our business. Which platforms to develop for are constantly evaluated to maximize the company's investment.

GS: How concerned are you when you look at the 360's installed base in Japan? How do you think Microsoft can better promote and sell its console into the Japanese marketplace?

JT: I think that the real concern is not the size of the Xbox 360 user base, but rather the close-minded tendencies of Japanese developers. Especially in recent years, many publishers are focusing their game development efforts more on the Japanese market with fewer and fewer publishers creating global development strategies.

Even with Japanese games released abroad, many publishers do not take those territories into consideration, even if the game has a very Japanese feel to it (we ourselves have been guilty of this until recently). This is often perceived as the developer just trying to reduce the amount of effort spent on development and forcing a game onto an unsuspecting market.

So, within this current industry atmosphere, we are looking at the global market and making decisions about what games to make based on the tastes of the consumers and gamers across the globe. Of course, we wish there was a larger installed user base domestically in Japan, as do all Japanese developers and publishers. But the success of Dead Rising in America is proof that a Japanese developer/publisher can succeed globally with an Xbox 360 title.

I truly hope that Microsoft encourages Japanese developers to not only expand in Japan, but to help them reemerge as leaders in the global game market. I think that if they can succeed at that, then that will ultimately lead to growing the user base in Japan, as well.

GS: How far along is Lost Planet's development? Will it still make its scheduled ship date?

JT: Lost Planet will ship globally this winter. Although we have not made any official announcements, I'm happy to confirm it will ship this coming January.

GS: The demo was released several months ago on Xbox Live. How has the response been?

JT: We are pleased with the response the demo has received. More than 550,000 Lost Planet demos have been downloaded, and as I've been reading the forums, the reactions have been overwhelmingly positive.

GS: Can we expect other Xbox 360 games from Capcom, such as Dead Rising, to remain exclusive to the platform, or could they ever be ported to the PS3?

JT: As I previously mentioned, as we are creating new titles, we evaluate all the platforms that are currently available and match the content to the platform. For games such as Lost Planet and Dead Rising, the Xbox 360 was the target platform. Since they have been created specifically to take advantage of the system's capabilities, we have no plans at this time to port or develop these titles for any other console.

Source

The other thread about this was the one that was deleted, so this is now the official one. :yes:

Dirty Larry

The other thread about this was the one that was deleted, so this is now the official one. :yes:

Dirty Larry

Suck it, Spartan_X!!! :cool: ;) :whistle:

Suck it, Spartan_X!!! :cool: ;) :whistle:

even tho I post it first and DL keept my post within yours I don't care that much if it was deleted or merged... :p

I mean, sometimes I just post stuff to keep the console gamer forum with enough fresh material to keep our fellows "fanatics" talking and sharing opinions... in the end that's the base of democracy isn't it? ;)

hmm they need some exclusive games that aren't so action-oriented, if they hope to do better in Japan. hell make an exclusive line of hentai games based on the royal family LOL, bet they sell a ton of systems then before they get kicked out the country.

BTW... I just hit 3000 posts! kudos to me!!! :laugh: :rofl: :p

it's gonna take me another 5 years to reach 10000... ohh well... :p

Congrats! Don't feel bad. In five years I'll just be catching up to your 3,000 :p

even tho I post it first and DL keept my post within yours I don't care that much if it was deleted or merged... :p

I mean, sometimes I just post stuff to keep the console gamer forum with enough fresh material to keep our fellows "fanatics" talking and sharing opinions... in the end that's the base of democracy isn't it? ;)

For the record I would have kept yours if I could have as I am all for keeping the original thread, it was just much easier to keep this one. The other thread was deleted by accident, and it just was easier to keep this one. I usually do my best to keep the original but in this case I was just taking care of it as quick as possible.

Enough of that though, congrats on the 3000 posts. (Y)

Congrats! Don't feel bad. In five years I'll just be catching up to your 3,000 :p

hehehe... in five years we'll be talking about the PS4 vs Xbox Quantum vs Nintendo Resurrection... ;) :p

For the record I would have kept yours if I could have as I am all for keeping the original thread, it was just much easier to keep this one. The other thread was deleted by accident, and it just was easier to keep this one. I usually do my best to keep the original but in this case I was just taking care of it as quick as possible.

Enough of that though, congrats on the 3000 posts. (Y)

no worries buddy, you're doing an amazing job keeping "the barn" in order... :happy: :yes:

it will take me 2 more years to have 3000 post i need a life :(

a life? can you get a demo of one those on the XBL Marketplace? :laugh: :rofl: :p

a life? can you get a demo of one those on the XBL Marketplace?

i wouldnt know im to cheap to buy the xbox360 yet. :blush:

if it is i might run out and rob.........er buy a xbox360

Hey, you know I'm joking. It's just frustrating to find some really cool news and come here to post it and then see that you have posted it since yesterday morning.... of course, working on the inside doesn't hurt either... :shiftyninja:

LOL @ "Nintendo Ressurection". Nice one. :laugh:

the good thing about the Nintendo Resurrection is that you don't need a controller to play your games!!! to play your favorite games all you need is "fait", you can now walk on water, dup any item in your inventory, heal or resurrect any PC or NPC and the list keeps going on and on...

:devil: muahahahaaa!!!

Hey, you know I'm joking. It's just frustrating to find some really cool news and come here to post it and then see that you have posted it since yesterday morning.... of course, working on the inside doesn't hurt either... :shiftyninja:

hehehe... don't worry about it buddy... :happy:

well, thing is that I do a lot of reading at work and I have a lot of feeds, alerts and so on delivered to me as soon as they're posted on those web sites... so, it's kind unfair if you are to search site by site for those neat bits of info... :blush:

maybe I should limit the amount of news I post here to let some other people to do the hunting for those super duper headlines... :happy: :yes:

no worries buddy, you're doing an amazing job keeping "the barn" in order... :happy: :yes:

Thank you very much.

It is without a doubt a good feeling to hear things along these lines every once in awhile. :yes: Just do me a favor, and remember you said them if I ever have to personally give you a warning. :rofl: (Y) Seriously though, the kinds words are truly and sincerely appreciated. (Y)

Hmm, I guess this is good news. Doesn't really matter if it's exclusive to me, I just want it and I want it to be good. Why does it matter if a game is also available on PC, PS3, Revolution, w/e?

Why does it matter if a game is also available on PC, PS3, Revolution, w/e?

I would think pretty much the only reason I could see it being a bad thing that a game is being developed for so many platforms is because it does not have the "focus" of being developed for strictly just one platform. Meaning that somewhere down the road one, if not more, of the multiple platforms it is being developed for, will wind up getting a washed down, something had to be cut back or taken out to run on said platform, version of the game. Or even worse, one of the platforms gets a port of the game itself, not a game that was developed strictly for that platform in mind.

Now I fully admit, I am by no means an expert in the development side of video games, but this would be my educated guess. If a game is truly just developed for one platform, that means all development resources can be used and focused on making sure the game takes absolute full advantage of just that one platform itself, which is usually 99% of the time, only a good thing.

Next heres to hoping that RE5 is exclusive but that will never happen :(

Umm, why as long is its on the X360, I don't see why you would hope for a terrible thing for non 360 owners. You would have a better chance hoping the 360 does better than the original Xbox.

DMC4 for me, and ontopic the man guy looks like leon from RE4.

Umm, why as long is its on the X360, I don't see why you would hope for a terrible thing for non 360 owners. You would have a better chance hoping the 360 does better than the original Xbox.

DMC4 for me, and ontopic the man guy looks like leon from RE4.

I meant it would be a time exclusive for consoles, GC isnt getting RE5. Only PS3 is so that would get it like 6 months after 360 does.

Oh and DMC4 maybe coming to the 360 too.